Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 8:20:12 PM EDT
www.opinionjournal.com/forms/printThis.html?id=110006623

Now this might seem nuts....

But from what my sister told me about UChicago, they have very conservative economic policies and very liberal policies on everything else.

Those of you out there that are Republicans can probably only identify with some of this, and those of you that are Libertarians might appreciate the facts that are spelled out in this article.

After reading it, I'm pretty proud of my sister for going to UChicago.  What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#1]
You want an education...go to UChicago

You want to be indoctrinated...go to Harvard...or Yale...or Columbia...or Princeton...or Uof Colorado or etc ...etc...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:31:23 PM EDT
[#2]
All of Pinochet's advisors were educated at UChicago.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I do want an education, but unfortunately, my sister got the brains, so she goes there.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:37:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You want to be indoctrinated...go to Harvard...or Yale...or Columbia...or Princeton...or Uof Colorado or etc ...etc...

Hardly....My father is a Professor at Harvard Med School....he traind, was educated and grew up in good ole mid west USA.  They have done nothing to change his staunch conservative views, in fact as he puts it, "they need more of us, out there"  So while most of you, think its all liberals, there are some GOP stalwarts who do add something to the pot.  More of there grad schools have more GOP supporters then you might know...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#5]
UChicago is probably the leading school for social sciences in the US.  They've also got formidable schools of law, economics, political science/political philosophy and mathematics.

It is known as a school for grinds.  It's unofficial motto is "Where fun goes to die".
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hardly....My father is a Professor at Harvard Med School....he traind, was educated and grew up in good ole mid west USA.  They have done nothing to change his staunch conservative views, in fact as he puts it, "they need more of us, out there"  So while most of you, think its all liberals, there are some GOP stalwarts who do add something to the pot.  More of there grad schools have more GOP supporters then you might know...

Proves how much of the article you read.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope you weren't home taught.  

Although, I understand where you're coming from...most of the country feels that our higher institutions have been infiltrated by liberal influence.

Props to your Dad though.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:23:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope you weren't home taught.  

Although, I understand where you're coming from...most of the country feels that our higher institutions have been infiltrated by liberal influence.

Props to your Dad though.

nit pick, like I care, Im not "home schooled" and yea I make typos like everyone else in the world and NO I dont proof read anything I post on here.  My time is spend alot better else where, once in awhile I see something which at least neededs defending, so I stated my point, thats all I got, take it or leave it, its all opinion here anyways. if you wana know where I went to school, well, I can post it, but Id hate to make you feel like an ass...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:46:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Harvard for connections, uChicago for knowledge.  Which do you think will be more useful in ten years?

I'd pick Harvard.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:54:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Harvard for connections, uChicago for knowledge.  Which do you think will be more useful in ten years?

I'd pick Harvard.

Yes, because no one who went to UChicago ever gained any position of importance.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:01:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Incorrect. 'The Chicago Boys' were only his economists.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:03:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Incorrect. 'The Chicago Boys' were only his economists.

Well, close enough for the internet anyway.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:03:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd pick Harvard.

Yes, because no one who went to UChicago ever gained any position of importance.  

You know what?  You're right!  uChicago grads have achieved so much more than Harvard grads that Harvard has just faded right into the background.  Nobody pays any attention to Harvard anymore, the name is barely recognizable.

Of course, how could it be otherwise?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:06:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd pick Harvard.

You know what?  You're right!  uChicago grads have achieved so much more than Harvard grads that Harvard has just faded right into the background.  Nobody pays any attention to Harvard anymore, the name is barely recognizable.

You do realize that I still frequently run into alumni even from the crummy little state school were I got my B.S., right?  You don't have to go to Harvard to benefit from an alumni network.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:09:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd pick Harvard.

You do realize that I still frequently run into alumni even from the crummy little state school were I got my B.S., right?  You don't have to go to Harvard to benefit from an alumni network.

Yea, except while your alumni run medium-sized corporations, Harvard alums run the fucking world.

Spoken by a guy whose alma mater graduates film stars and failed artists.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:17:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Since this thread is going rapidly down the shitter thanks to me and a couple of others, I'll make a post and try to redeem it partially.

UChicago not only is recognized for social sciences, but has an excellent biological sciences division.  They are excellent in physics...where was the first nuclear reactor built?... and computer science and were one of the first to do research in aritifical intelligence.  It is a wonderful university.  One of the big boys, for certain.  Major congratulations to your sister for getting in.

Chicago the city sucks, but then so does Boston.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:20:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Luis W. Alvarez            S.B.  1932               Nobel Prize, Physics 1968
Martin Kamen               S.B.  1933               radiochemist, U. of California (disc. Carbon 14)
Herman Goldstine           S.B.  1933               mathematician, Moore School (1st elect. computer)
Paul A. Samuelson          A.B.  1935               Nobel Prize, Economics 1970
Herbert C. Brown           S.B.  1936               Nobel Prize, Chemistry 1979
Herbert A. Simon           A.B.  1936               Nobel Prize, Economics 1978
Martin Gardner             A.B.  1936               columnist, Scientific American
Joseph Axelrod             A.B.  1937               humanities, education, SFSU
William H. McNeill         A.B.  1938               historian, Univ. of Chicago
Katharine Graham           A.B.  1938               publisher, Washington Post
Saul Bellow                Ex.   1939               Nobel Prize, Literature 1976
John Paul Stevens          A.B.  1941               justice, Supreme Court
Jack Steinberger           S.B.  1942               Nobel Prize, Physics 1988
George J. Stigler          S.B.  1942               Nobel Prize, Economics 1982
John Johnson               Ex.   1942               founder, Ebony
Patrick Suppes             S.B.  1943               logician, Stanford
Bernard Sahlins            A.B.  1943               founder, Second City actors troup
Richard Collins            PhB   1946               composer, author
Edward C. Hobbs            PhB   1946               theologian, Berkeley, Radcliff, Harvard
James Watson               PhB   1946               Quiz Kid; Nobel Prize, Physiology 1962 (DNA)

David Broder               A.B.  1947               journalist, Washington Post
Robert McCormick Adams     PhB   1947               secretary, Smithsonian Inst.
Harry M. Markowitz         PhB   1947               Nobel Prize, Economics 1990
Irwin Rose                 A.B.  1948               Nobel Prize, Chemistry 2004
Richard C. Atkinson        PhB.  1948               president, Univ. of California
George Steiner             A.B.  1948               essayist
Don Finkel                 Ex.   1948               poet, George Washington Univ. in St. Louis
Robert H. Bork             A.B.  1948               federal judge
Donald Osterbrock          PhB   1948               astronomer, Lick Observatory
Anil Nerode                A.B.  1949               mathematician, logician, Cornell
Allan Bloom                A.B.  1949               social critic, student of Leo Strauss          
Seth Benardete             A.B.  1949               scholar of Plato & Greek drama, student of Leo Strauss, NYU
Richard Rorty              A.B.  1949               philosopher, Stanford
Leo Treitler               A.B.  1950               musicologist, CUNY
Alan Fern                  A.B.  1950               director, National Portrait Gallery
John Schultz               A.B.  1950               superintendent, Lick Observatory
Severn Darden              A.B.  1950               actor ("The President's Analyst")
Eunice Kennedy             Ex.   1950               the president's sister
Jerome I. Friedman         A.B.  1950               Nobel Prize, Physics 1990

Amélie Oksenberg Rorty     A.B.  1951               philosopher, Brandeis
Susan Sontag               A.B.  1951               novelist, filmmaker
Gerald Wasserburg          S.B.  1951               scientist, Cal Tech & NASA
Emanuel Savas              A.B.  1951               ass. sec. of HUD; prof. CUNY
Paul Sills                 A.B.  1951               co-founder Compass Players, Second City
Gonzalo de Lozada          A.B.  1952               president of Bolivia
Howard Howland             A.B.  1952               vision physiologist, Cornell
A. Steven McGrade          A.B.  1953               philosophy, Cambridge Univ., expert on Wm. of Ockham
Skee Farnsworth            Ex.   1953               pop musician, audio engineer
Mike Nichols               Ex.   1953               actor, director                  
Joel Kupperman             A.B.  1954               Quiz Kid; philosophy, Connecticut
Elaine May                 A.B.  ?                  actress      
Carl Sagan                 A.B.  1954               astronomer
Philip Glass               A.B.  1956               composer
Lynn Margulis              A.B.  1957               evolutionary biologist
Seymour Hersh              A.B.  1958               investigative reporter (My Lai, Perle, Abu Ghraib), NYT, New Yorker
Philip Kaufman             A.B.  1958               movie director, The Right Stuff
Leon Kass                  S.B.  1958               [neo-con] chair, President's Council on Bioethics
Robert E. Lucas            A.B.  1959               Nobel Prize, Economics 1995
Adamantios Androutsopoulos Ex.   1959               prime minister of Greece
Ferdinand Sax              A.B.  1962               professional student
Clinton Joseph Davisson    S.B.  1909               Nobel Prize, Physics 1937
Edwin Hubble               S.B.  1910               astronomer
Roy Grinker, Sr.           S.B.  1921               psychoanalist
John Gunther               PhB   1922               journalist ("Inside Europe")
H. D. Lasswell             S.B.  1922               political scientist
Henry Steele Commager      PhB   1923               historian
Perry Miller               A.B.  1928               historian, Harvard ("The New England Mind")
James T. Farrell           S.B.  1929               novelist
Robert R. Palmer           PhB   1931               historian
John Scopes                Ex.   1931               high-school science teacher ("Monkey Trial"), geologist
Edward Levi                A.B.  1932               U.S. attorney general                      
Studs Terkel               PhB   1932               author, radio host
Larry Ellison              Ex.   1966               CEO, Oracle
Michael Powell             Ex.   1968               founder, Powell's Books
Dan Hertzberg              A.B.  1968               managing editor, Wall Street Journal
Karen Katen                A.B.  1970               president of Pfizer
Frank Wilczek              A.B.  1970               Nobel Prize, Physics 2004
Paul Volberding            A.B.  1971               AIDS researcher
Robert Pirsig              "Zen and Art of Motorcycle"   novelist
Tom Campbell               A.B.  1973               congressman, California
Casey Cowell               A.B.  1975               founder U.S. Robotics
Michael Sugrue             A.B.  1979               historian, Princeton
John Podhoretz             A.B.  1982               [neo con] editor, New York Post, student of Leo Strauss
David Auburn               A.B.  1991               playwright ("Proof")
Joshua Cooper Ramo         A.B.  1992               senior editor, Time
Robert S. Mulliken         Ph.D. 1921               Nobel Prize, Chemistry 1966
William Sheldon Jr.        Ph.D. 1926, M.D. 1934    theory of body types
Saunders Mac Lane          S.M.  1931               mathematician (category theory)

Norman Maclean             Ph.D. 1940               author
David Rockefeller          Ph.D. 1940               banker
Roger W. Sperry            Ph.D. 1941               Nobel Prize, Physiology 1981
Fred Ikle                  M.A.  1948, Ph.D. 1950   U.S. undersecretray of state for policy
Marvin L. Goldberger       Ph.D. 1948               dir., Institute for Advanced Study
Chen Ning Yang             Ph.D. 1948               Nobel Prize, Physics 1957
Owen Chamberlain           Ph.D. 1949               Nobel Prize, Physics 1959  
Andrew Marshall            A.M.  1949               dir., Office of Net Assessment, Dept. of Defense
James M. Buchanan Jr.      Ph.D. 1948               Nobel Prize, Economics 1986
Daniel E. Koshland         Ph.D. 1949               editor, Science
Ramsey Clark               A.M.  1950, J.D. 1951    U.S. attorney general
Tsung-Dao Lee              Ph.D. 1950               Nobel Prize, Physics 1957    
Peter G. Peterson          MBA   1951               U.S. secretary of commerce
Abner J. Mikva             J.D.  1951               congressman, Illinois
Patsy Mink                 J.D.  1951               congresswoman, Hawaii
F. Sherwood Rowland        S.M.  1951, Ph.D. 1952   Nobel Prize, Chemistry 1995
Beryl Sprinkel             MBA   1952               chair, Council of Economic Advisors
James Cronin               S.M.  1953, Ph.D. 1955   Nobel Prize, Physics 1980
Gary Becker                A.M.  1953, Ph.D. 1955   Nobel Prize, Economics 1992
Paul Cohen                 S.M.  1954, Ph.D. 1958   mathematician (indep. of continuum hyp.)
Philip Roth                A.M.  1955               novelist
William Dement             M.D.  1955, Ph.D. 1958   physiologist (REM sleep)
Kenneth Dam                J.D.  1957               dep. secretary, U.S. Treasury and State Dept.
James Hormel               J.D.  1958               U.S. ambassador to Luxembourg
Mildred Dresselhaus        Ph.D. 1959               carbon physicist, MIT
James F. Hoge Jr.          A.M.  1961               editor, Foreign Affairs
Henry Bienen               A.M.  1962, Ph.D. 1966   president, Northwestern Univ.

Daniel C. Tsui             S.M.  1963, Ph.D. 1967   Nobel Prize, Physics 1998
Myron Scholes              MBA   1964, Ph.D. 1970   Nobel Prize, Economics 1997
Abram Shulsky              M.A.  1966, Ph.D. 1972   [neo-con] dir., Pentagon Off. of Special Plans, student of Leo Strauss & Allan Bloom
John Ashcroft              J.D.  1967               [neo-con] U.S. attorney general
Ahmed Chalabi              Ph.D. 1969               [neo-con] leader, Iraqi Nat. Cong., student of Wolfstetter
Donald Carl Johanson       A.M.  1970, Ph.D. 1974   anthropologist, discovered "Lucy"
Ronald Calinger            Ph.D. 1971               historian of mathematics
Kurt Vonnegut Jr.          A.M.  1971               novelist
Ralph Neas                 J.D.  1971               president, People for the American Way
Paul D. Wolfowitz          Ph.D. 1972               [neo-con] U.S. dep. sec. of def., student of Wohlstetter, Leo Strauss, & Allan Bloom
Carol Moseley Braun        J.D.  1972               U.S. senator          
Jon S. Corzine             MBA   1973               U.S. senator
Brad Cox                   Ph.D. 1973               computer scientist (Objective-C language)
Marc Seifer                M.A.  1974               biographer of Nikola Tesla      
Michael Mobbs              J.D.  1974               advisor, Dept. of Defense Detainee Policy Group
William J. Bennett         J.D.  1975               [neo-con] U.S. secretary of education
Gary Schmitt               M.A.  1976, Ph.D. 1980   [neo-con] exec. dir., Project for the New American Century (PNAC)
David Kessler              J.D.  1978               commissioner, U.S. Food & Drug Admin.
Zalmay Khalilzad           Ph.D. 1978               [neo-con] counsellor to Sec. Rumsfeld, ambas. Afghanistan, student of Wohlstetter
Gary Edson                 J.D.  1982               Deputy National Security Advisor to Pres. Bush
John Grunsfeld             S.M.  1984, Ph.D. 1988   NASA astronaut
James C. Ho                J.D.  1999               [neo-con] Justice Dept., wrote opinion that Taliban/al-Qaeda outside Geneva Conv.

Yep, UChicago graduates never accomplish anything.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:21:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Where did the first nuclear bomb come from?  Yep, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:30:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

you got that right brother!

also, U Chicago and Harvard are both top ten law schools, at least they were when I applied to Law school, so needless to say, from what I know about U Chi and I know alot about the other, they are both fine places which graduate fine students, generally speaking of course.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:33:32 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Since this thread is going rapidly down the shitter thanks to me and a couple of others, I'll make a post and try to redeem it partially.

UChicago not only is recognized for social sciences, but has an excellent biological sciences division.  They are excellent in physics...where was the first nuclear reactor built?... and computer science and were one of the first to do research in aritifical intelligence.  It is a wonderful university.  One of the big boys, for certain.  Major congratulations to your sister for getting in.

My flippant comment was not to be disparaging to your school. It's just that while scientists and engineers are great, Harvard disproportionately graduates the guys that write their paychecks. Or run the world bank. It's absurd. And apparently according to the piece, also the guys that write about their alumni.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:35:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Go where the wealthy kids go. They will be starting the companies and looking for people and their daddies will own and/or run their own companies.

It's like Stanford vs. Berkeley. Both schools are about equal as far as academics and prominence, yet Stanford has a machine for creating start-ups. Berkeley does not. The reason being is the Stanford kids are more likely to have access to start-up capital (at least the initial funding). It's not just because Stanford is closer to Silicon Valley, it's because the families of Stanford students generally have more money.

And when they are looking to create companies, they want to hire their peers. Think Sun. Yahoo!, Google, and many more. That’s why you go to Stanford if you can – the contacts.

That my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:37:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My flippant comment was not to be disparaging to your school. It's just that while scientists and engineers are great, Harvard disproportionately graduates the guys that write their paychecks. Or run the world bank. It's absurd. And apparently according to the piece, also the guys that write about their alumni.

Well, I won't argue with you about the school where I got my B.S.  You might be right on that one.  But, look over that list of UChicago graduates and see who's running the world now.  It looks like about half of President Bush's advisors did some time there and I see more than a few CEOs as well.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:37:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:47:47 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

+1, at least on Harvard.  I've taken classes there, and their undergrad program frankly sucks.  My classes at another local university were far more demanding.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top