Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2006 7:56:17 PM EDT
my college has a firewall, which blocks most ports that games use...reason being some kid screwed someone online in a game and made a lot of money/stole money, got investigated by FBI, schools responce was BAN online gaming!  excellent choice school, real smart.

im stuck to browsing the internet, AIM, downloads, etc...but just no gaming...because obviously i cant do anything illegal by using a browser, I need to do it in a game!

anyhow, im looking at playing games online, but i need to get around this.  I was told to use a port sniffer to try and see what the open ports are and utilize them....

HOWEVER, some people on campus have WIRELESS internet, and im not sure where the wireless source is, but its bypassing schools dumb ass firewall that they have in place...so im thinking when i go home this weekend, grab my wireless USB device, plug it in , and ill be able to game online once again (first time in 3 years here at college).  

any other ways to bypass a college firewall?

thanks
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:59:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Build yourself an antenna and go wardriving, then play off of the insecure wireless networks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#2]
You own guns yes?  Viva Le Revoluion!  

j/k
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#3]
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

^ find open ports.

also, if you have service pack 2 on an xp machine - make sure it isn't interfering.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:12:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy a keg of beer and pizza for the Network guys.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#5]
can you get in trouble for feeding off wireless signals?  isnt it called leeching or something?

also, im running 2000 professional right now, but im getting XP Home edition on my new PC im building this weekend ( the reason I REALLY want to get multiplayer working).  

college policy SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:14:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Move off campus and pay for your own internet connection.

Jim
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:14:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Buy a keg of beer and pizza for the Network guys.

they would be happier with doritios and japanese cartoons on vhs....they are a bunch of goons.  this wont work unfortunatly
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Move off campus and pay for your own internet connection.

Jim

not worth moving off campus...im on campus now, with a parking pass....took me 50 minutes to find a parking space.....i dont want to do this crap everyday, pisses me off.....if parking was easier, then yeah i would in a second...but its just too difficult, im not going to ride in a circle for 30-50min for a spot, and the bus doesnt run from all places, plus they go on strike often...most the time they dont even run on schedule
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:19:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
can you get in trouble for feeding off wireless signals?  isnt it called leeching or something?

Well, you're not supposed to be using a wireless network that you're not paying for or that the providers don't want other people using (my college library has wireless access, but they don't want people not in the library accessing it).  That said, anybody with a wireless connection that doesn't go through the simple steps to secure their connection will probably never know anyway.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Forget computer games.
Find yourself some nice girls with Daddy issues.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:43:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Forget computer games.
Find yourself some nice girls with Daddy issues.

haha already got one, shes my girlfriend
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, you're not supposed to be using a wireless network that you're not paying for or that the providers don't want other people using (my college library has wireless access, but they don't want people not in the library accessing it).  That said, anybody with a wireless connection that doesn't go through the simple steps to secure their connection will probably never know anyway.

hmm ok, as long as i dont get some men in black showing up for me playing a computer game on a wireless signal im happy
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:50:56 PM EDT
[#13]
We block it on our campus. It eats up the schools bandwidth BIG TIME.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
We block it on our campus. It eats up the schools bandwidth BIG TIME.

dont give my school ideas....

im in NY, we dont have a free system here...so we cheat it when we can
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top