Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/6/2006 7:12:55 PM EDT
As some of you know, I am an X-ray technologist at a very large hospital in Tampa, FL.  I have experienced many interesting things in the 7 months I've been here.  Everything from preemie babies that were the size of grapefruits, to 750 pound women.

However, tonight took the cake.  I saw what was at the same time the weirdest and saddest thing I have ever seen.

I went to do a portable chest x-ray on a man, 38 years old, in our ICU.  His listed weight was only 85 pounds.  I was wondering if this was an error (it happens) or perhaps this guy was really emaciated.

I get to the room and walk in and literally stopped dead in my tracks.  There, in front of me, was a man who, from the navel down, did not exist.  What I am saying is that from his bellybutton, he had NOTHING  - he was literally a torso, two arms, and a head.  No pelvis, no penis, no colon, no legs - nothing.  He had a bag that collected his partially digested food.  He had a mass of flesh below his navel that had been sewed shut.

I did the x-ray and later talked to the nurse - apparently this guy had gotten a flesh-eating infection that started in his feet and progressed up, and they kept having to amputate until they finally got it stopped 3 years ago.

Wow.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:14:55 PM EDT
[#1]
DAMN....
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:15:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd have eaten a lead appetizer long before it got that bad.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Sad.
And some of us only have to complain about the price of ammo at Wal-Mart.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I did the x-ray and later talked to the nurse - apparently this guy had gotten a flesh-eating infection that started in his feet and progressed up, and they kept having to amputate until they finally got it stopped 3 years ago.

What was it, and how do you prevent it?!?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I...wow.  I have nothing to add, but wow.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:17:40 PM EDT
[#7]
damn!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Puts in all in perspective.

HH
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:18:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Christ.  I was mad a few weeks ago when I found a leak in my kitchen.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I am still a little shell-shocked by it.  It was like the guy in the Metallica video for "One" - I think it was from a movie called "Johnny Got His Gun" - just really strange.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#11]
holy crap.

That puts life into a different view.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#14]
DUDE!!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:20:19 PM EDT
[#15]
IBTLJJ

In before the little Johnny jokes.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:20:23 PM EDT
[#16]
My dad flew a guy to a special hospital who had his legs amputated above the hips.  It was kinda the same way, he was missing alot of stuff.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#17]
It is pretty interesting the perspective I have gained working in a hospital - I am confronted daily with how amazing and wonderful my life is, even with my problems and issues, because I see just how FUCKING worse it could be when I encounter stuff like this.  And it makes me think that, you know, life is too short to constantly make myself wait to do the things I have wanted to do for so long.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:20:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Un-freaking-believeable.

Like HH said, it puts it all in perspective.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#19]
What was the cause?  MRSA? VRE?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:22:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Thank God for Suit Separates..........
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:23:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Whoa, that's fucked up.

I know what will cheer everyone up... what's the weirdest object you've ever x-rayed in someone's bum?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:24:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Ther's a little boy in Children's Hospital in Seattle who has flesh eating bacteria eating at his face, caused by a scratch while plyaing with friends.  Multiple surgeries and he's still hanging in there.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Thank God for Suit Separates..........

may God have pity on you
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:29:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Word.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Whoa, that's fucked up.

I know what will cheer everyone up... what's the weirdest object you've ever x-rayed in someone's bum?

Vaseline Jar - and NOT the mini-travel size, either.  Yes, it was a man - said he was assaulted and held down by two other men.  Yeah . . . . riiiiiiiiiiight.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#26]
My Wife was doing clinical work towards her nursing degree, and said that the X-Ray techs frequelntly had good stories about guys who "Fell on a Cucumber", and a few that said "The pencil lead went up there when I sat on it.".
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Fuck, I hate hearing about that stuff. Flesh eating bacteria, bacterial meningitis, shit you just have to hope you never get.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Your story in part reminds me of a local fella. He was pushed from behind in front of a passing subway train. He was trapped at waist level between the deck and one of the train cars. Upon closer inspection, he had nothing below the waist, it all had been severed. The only thing keeping him alive was the train being so close to the deck, which was stopping him from bleeding out.
Sad part, he asked for his wife to be brought to the station, which was done, then of course, he had to be removed.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus?

Thank you.  My hospital is having a seminar on MRSA, and I didn't know what it meant.

I'm glad a computer virus is as deep as I need to get.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Life is to short to Stand in line

life cvhanges in the blink of an eye if it wer eme i would have eaten a lead dinner, but at least he still has his shootin arm, i had a bad accident and the girl who hit me died, im a fire fighter emt and i have seen this shit before but my accident changed the way i looked at life  very much like this guy and the best way to live it is like it was your last day

"live everyday, LIKE YOU STOLE IT"
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
As some of you know, I am an X-ray technologist at a very large hospital in Tampa, FL.  I have experienced many interesting things in the 7 months I've been here.  Everything from preemie babies that were the size of grapefruits, to 750 pound women.

However, tonight took the cake.  I saw what was at the same time the weirdest and saddest thing I have ever seen.

I went to do a portable chest x-ray on a man, 38 years old, in our ICU.  His listed weight was only 85 pounds.  I was wondering if this was an error (it happens) or perhaps this guy was really emaciated.

I get to the room and walk in and literally stopped dead in my tracks.  There, in front of me, was a man who, from the navel down, did not exist.  What I am saying is that from his bellybutton, he had NOTHING  - he was literally a torso, two arms, and a head.  No pelvis, no penis, no colon, no legs - nothing.  He had a bag that collected his partially digested food.  He had a mass of flesh below his navel that had been sewed shut.

Wow.

gnarley
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:04:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Your story in part reminds me of a local fella. He was pushed from behind in front of a passing subway train. He was trapped at waist level between the deck and one of the train cars. Upon closer inspection, he had nothing below the waist, it all had been severed. The only thing keeping him alive was the train being so close to the deck, which was stopping him from bleeding out.
Sad part, he asked for his wife to be brought to the station, which was done, then of course, he had to be removed.

that was made into a law and order episode.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:04:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Such a sad thing....

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:12:14 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I am still a little shell-shocked by it.  It was like the guy in the Metallica video for "One" - I think it was from a movie called "Johnny Got His Gun" - just really strange.

That is the image that was conjured up in my mind, reading your description.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#35]
never ....
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:31:29 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is the image that was conjured up in my mind, reading your description.

"I cannot Live, I cannot Die, Trapped in myself, Body my holding cell"
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:53:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Did you talk to him much?  How was his attitude?  Who brung him?

I couldn't take it. I'd tell the docs to stop trimming once it got to a certain point, and just let it take me.  Seriously.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:17:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Back in the 70s I heard the same thing had happened to guy who worked at the warehouse where I'd just been hired. He somehow got pinned between a trailer and the dock, and he lived for a while, until they concluded there was nothing left to do but have the truck pull forward.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:21:37 PM EDT
[#39]
poor guy. i don tthink i could have taken it that long, and seen what one of those A2 flash hiders taste like
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#40]
somewhat related story (radiology, anyway)

I went to get my broken ribs re- x-rayed today and it too them like 20 shots to get it right. My nuts are probably going to fall off like this poor sap.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:25:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Once it got past my penis...I too would have eaten 230 grains of lead.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:28:08 PM EDT
[#42]
My bro caught MRSA working at a hospital.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:00:17 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Homicide: LIfe On The Street episode.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:32:41 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
somewhat related story (radiology, anyway)

I went to get my broken ribs re- x-rayed today and it too them like 20 shots to get it right. My nuts are probably going to fall off like this poor sap.

Ribs are a stone-cold bitch to x-ray properly, though it would have only taken me at most 3 shots to do it - damn that tech must have been pretty bad.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:03:27 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was one of those cop/lawyer dramas. I watched it and know for sure it was Vincent D'Onafrio, (or however you spell it), as the guy pinned under the train.
Everyone around here knows him better as Pvt. Pyle in Full Metal Jacket.
Right?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:43:38 AM EDT
[#46]
At least he has a mouth so he can scream.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:15:47 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:24:26 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Your story in part reminds me of a local fella. He was pushed from behind in front of a passing subway train [snip]hr

It was also a story given by a fare on one of the first few "Taxi Cab Confessions" on HBO.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, and I think the victim was played by the fat recruit in Full Metal Jacket?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Oh holy crap - it gets weirder.  We had to go do an abdominal x-ray on him for feeding tube placement.  It is SO damn weird looking at where his body just . . . ends . . . at L4, and that he has NO pelvic girdle at all.

His listed height is 3 feet - holy crap that was just too fucking weird.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top