Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/6/2006 6:24:56 PM EDT
Today, on the way home from Downtown Dallas, I was behind some car, and there was a sticker on the back.  It read "Check Your Mirrors Twice, Motorcycles Are On The Roads Too".  Well I check my mirrors twice, and sometimes thriee times, when I'm changing lanes or turning.  However, not ten seconds later, a crotch rocketeer comes zooming by at 100MPH+, between me and the car on my right.  After passing me, he weaves in and out of traffic.  On Saturday, at Preston and Beltline, I watched a group of bikers do a bunch of tricks(wheelies, standing up with no hands, etc.) while in traffic.

Now my question.  Why should I, and other drivers, have to take extra precautions because people who ride these things drive like idiots.  While I'm sure not all drive this way, lets say a large portion do.  Afterall, the bikes are meant with speed in mind.  Its rare they use a turn signal, they drive down shoulders, the weave erratically in and out of traffic, yet I need to be safer because they drive recklessly?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:25:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:28:08 PM EDT
[#2]
There are douche bags around every job, hobby and corner.

Some people say the same thing when they meet an uneducated dipshit at the range.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:28:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Future Darwin award winners.

+1 natural selection waiting to happen.

Motorcycles are subject to the SAME laws everyone else is.  when you are stopped at a light and some clown on a bike cuts between the cars to the front of the line.... that's ILLEGAL and i wish it would be better enforced
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

+1

OTOH, if one of those idiots hits you, you're going to be doing an awful lot of paperwork, so it's in your own interest to look out for them.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There are douche bags around every job, hobby and corner.

Some people say the same thing when they meet an uneducated dipshit at the range.

+1
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:37:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Sportbikes are somewhat analagous to black rifles.  

- They are often seen as illegitimate and sacrifical by others involved in the overall hobby
- They attract younger people entering the hobbies
- They are often used and handled in a dangerous fashion due to immaturity, stupidity, and sometimes, flat out crazyness
- Bad press seems to attach itself to them
- They are seen as significantly more dangerous than 'regular' product

Use care in how you approach arguments against them, as they can easily be used against you in the future.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want an honest answer then what you should do is continue your normal driving, no sudden movements, no cutting them off, no opening doors, no throwing large bolts at them.

The proper name for those guys who do stunts is "Stuntaz".
Crotch Rocketeers are the guys who run up and down the canyons playing Ricky Road-Racer.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Are they "icy hot"???
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:47:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Negative the proper name for those guys are squids, I like to go fast, but on a track.  Those guys are the reason my insurance is as expensive as it is.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Motorcycles are subject to the SAME laws everyone else is.  when you are stopped at a light and some clown on a bike cuts between the cars to the front of the line.... that's ILLEGAL and i wish it would be better enforced

Perfectly legal in California

I used to do it all the time if traffic was stop and go and/or moving under 30mph.  Turned out to be a lot safer (no motorcycle sandwich waiting to happen)

edit:  When are you going to update the Dade County Shoot thread ?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:52:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Why should you look out?  Because most of the motorcycles hit aren't the ones flying past everyone doing tricks.  It's the motorcycles that go with the flow of traffic that you don't notice because they are so small.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

- They are often seen as illegitimate and sacrifical by others involved in the overall hobby
- They are often used and handled in a dangerous fashion due to immaturity, stupidity, and sometimes, flat out crazyness

Use care in how you approach arguments against them, as they can easily be used against you in the future.

+1 on that. People need to punish the squids/stunters who do that shit and quit trying to blame the problem on an inamimate object (the motorcycle). I've been riding for 33 years and still have a "crotch rocket" (they're called sport bikes). The difference is, like VTwin60, I get my kicks on the track where I can do what the bike was made for without putting other people in danger. Enforcement of traffic laws is the answer. - Yes I know the cops can't get all the idiots, but what the hell. Life is full of risks and "surprises". Nobody ever said life came with a guarantee of safety... so just keep your eyes open for the idiots and try not to let them bug you too much. Other than that, all I can say is try to get their license plate numbers and call them in. Maybe if they get enough tickets they'll get a clue and take their fun to the track.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:20:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not illegal in CA.  And if the rider is not a dick (i.e. accelerates away briskly at the green) it's not even an inconvenience to the adjacent car drivers.    I can tell you I'd much rather be up there between two cars than stuck at the back of the line hoping that the car behind me actually will see me and stop in time.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#14]
My next door neighbor had one of the above mentioned "rocketeers" zoom past him in the left lane shoulder.  A few minutes later, traffic slowed to a crawl.  The "rocketeer" had reduced himself from a Suzuki Speed Demon to a red damp spot devoid of life on I-65.  Stupid and sad

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#15]
You see those stickers and signs because a good portion of motorcycle accidents and fatalities aren't caused by the person on the bike.  Ever seen a woman talking on a cell phone, putting on makeup, and changing her kids DVD while on a bike?  Can you blame our crutch of Saudi oil on the person getting 70 miles per gallon on their bike, or the person taking the 8-seat SUV down to the grocery store?  Like gun owners, some motorcycle owners are straight up idiots, just not as many as the MSM would like you to believe...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:33:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Today, on the way home from Downtown Dallas, I was behind some car, and there was a sticker on the back.  It read "Check Your Mirrors Twice, Motorcycles Are On The Roads Too".  Well I check my mirrors twice, and sometimes thriee times, when I'm changing lanes or turning.  However, not ten seconds later, a crotch rocketeer comes zooming by at 100MPH+, between me and the car on my right.  After passing me, he weaves in and out of traffic.  On Saturday, at Preston and Beltline, I watched a group of bikers do a bunch of tricks(wheelies, standing up with no hands, etc.) while in traffic.

Now my question.  Why should I, and other drivers, have to take extra precautions because people who ride these things drive like idiots.  While I'm sure not all drive this way, lets say a large portion do.  Afterall, the bikes are meant with speed in mind.  Its rare they use a turn signal, they drive down shoulders, the weave erratically in and out of traffic, yet I need to be safer because they drive recklessly?

I don't think that even the owner of the bumper sticker expects people to be on the lookout for bikes driven recklessly.   Plenty of motorcyclists who aren't idiots get nailed by inattentive drivers too.  The secrets to not hitting motorcylists are simple.  Check your mirrors, USE YOUR TURN SIGNALS, Don't make sudden lane changes, be extra careful when making left turns accross oncoming traffic (#1 cause of car on bike collisions).     These secrets will probably look familiar as they are the same strategies that one uses to not run into cars, trucks, cruise ships, & etc.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:41:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Wow, funny you mention this. Just yesterday I was coming home for lunch and traffic was moderate.

In the left lane was a dumptruck going a little slower than I was, I'm in the right lane and a guy on a gsxr is right behind me on my bumper. Conveniently he has his girlfriend clinging onto him on the back.

So as I pass the dumptruck I signal to move to the left lane and start coming over, mr Jackass decides to come swinging around me from behind and is about 6 inches from my drivers door when I notice him. Then he turns around and gives me 'the look' like I'm the one causing a problem here?

Then he proceeds to gun-it up to the next stoplight about 1/2 mile ahead. Traffic is still moderate and he whips it in-and-out of the lanes in a VERY reckless manner, particularly considering he has his girl on the bike with him.

I've ridden for a number of years but I have ZERO fucking tolerance for people who drive like this dipshit.

If you splatter your own shit-addled brains on the curb that's one thing, but to subject a passenger to this kind of idiotic driving in a Florida urban setting is total negligence.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#18]
i opened this thread expecting to see a rant about gays--crotch rocketeers, pillow biters, rump rangers, brokeback cowboys...

i'm glad its just about bikes and the idiots that get killed on them.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not illegal in CA.  And if the rider is not a dick (i.e. accelerates away briskly at the green) it's not even an inconvenience to the adjacent car drivers.    I can tell you I'd much rather be up there between two cars than stuck at the back of the line hoping that the car behind me actually will see me and stop in time.

+1 on that. it is illegal here in TX, and in FL as well.

when done properly and safely, it should be nothing to whine about. it can help with traffic congestion, helps protect the rider from a car sandwich, and should be looked at as an advantage of riding a moto instead of a tank.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:47:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

maybe because most motorcyclists do not behave in this way?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think that even the owner of the bumper sticker expects people to be on the lookout for bikes driven recklessly.   Plenty of motorcyclists who aren't idiots get nailed by inattentive drivers too.  The secrets to not hitting motorcylists are simple.  Check your mirrors, USE YOUR TURN SIGNALS, Don't make sudden lane changes, be extra careful when making left turns accross oncoming traffic (#1 cause of car on bike collisions).     These secrets will probably look familiar as they are the same strategies that one uses to not run into cars, trucks, cruise ships, & etc.

+100
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Executions for traffic offenses???
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#23]
THERE ARE PEOPLE WITH MUSCLE CARS OR MIG TRUCKS OR EVERYDAY CARS THAT DRIVE WORTH A SHIT AND RECKLESSLY!

i realize some pople drive like that, but in all reality not all of us do,  there are always poeple who take anything to the extreme, just cause one idiot shoots another  do you think every gun owner is a idiot?

we ride bikes cause it gives us happiness, its somethign we can do, just cause a few reckless punks blow by you doesnt mean you should stop being cautious, after all they aint putting your life in danger!

sometimes i think people just dont care about anything anymore, i think people dont like bikers cause they can always get through traffic hahaha Just kidding

just think of it this way if and when you might have kids they might end up on a bike would you be careful then, or maybe you might think about the parents or relatives or even the persons kids!

if they want to do a 190mph down the interstate let em  after all its their life they riskin

bottom line is loud pipes saves life you may not look but you lways can hear!

"81" RIDE ON
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
[maybe because most motorcyclists do not behave in this way?

100% correct!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
You see those stickers and signs because a good portion of motorcycle accidents and fatalities aren't caused by the person on the bike.  Ever seen a woman talking on a cell phone, putting on makeup, and changing her kids DVD while on a bike?  Can you blame our crutch of Saudi oil on the person getting 70 miles per gallon on their bike, or the person taking the 8-seat SUV down to the grocery store?  Like gun owners, some motorcycle owners are straight up idiots, just not as many as the MSM would like you to believe...

+1 and don't forget gramps that can't see past the hood of his car. My wife got to watch a Harley type meet his maker last year because some old guy turned into traffic right in front of him.
Harley boy was a dumbass too though, he would have walked away from it if he had a helmet on.
BTW loud pipes save lives
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#26]
last summer I saw a group of crotch rockets going down the hwy at around 55 - 60 and one guy gets up and stands on top the seat and puts his hands in the air, then sits back down

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:10:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Look, I'm not condemning the bike, far from it.  I am condemning the dipshits who think everyone should be more cautious because THEY are around.  Bikers arent the only ones who are this idiotic, the muscle car and truck nuts are just as much a part of the problem, but the reason this is on the topic about bikes is because of the car in front with that retarded sticker.

JFP, I advise you to read the sentence below the one you quoted in red.  

A large portion of these bikers do indeed drive like fools.  I live in north Dallas, around LBJ, and every Thursday night, starting at midnight, they race around 635.  God knows what speeds they are going, but its got to be around 125-150, maybe more.  Why?

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#28]
The sticker didn't ask you to take any EXTRA precautions.  It asked you to simply make sure there is nothing allready there before you move your car.  That's the standard, not some extra thing you should do so you don't hit a motorcycle.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:14:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Mobile kidney donors.  If not for guys like these a lot of folks would die for lack of transplantable organs.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:27:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
If you splatter your own shit-addled brains on the curb that's one thing, but to subject a passenger to this kind of idiotic driving in a Florida urban setting is total negligence.

She is dating him, therefore by default agrees to such behavior and risks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:29:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Mobile kidney donors.  If not for guys like these a lot of folks would die for lack of transplantable organs.

at least we have found a purpose for these clowns.

They have 2 kidneys right?  so if i hit one of them while driving and they die, do I save 2 lives by taking one?  that would make me feel good about myself
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:34:42 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They have 2 kidneys right?  so if i hit one of them while driving and they die, do I save 2 lives by taking one?  that would make me feel good about myself

Just not kidneys, they take corneas, heart valves, leg bones, connective tissue, arteries, and skin amongst other things.  Ask Polydude about it.  That's what he does.

Heck, potentially, you could improve/save the lives of a dozen folks off one idiot.  It's practically a public service to run them down.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:36:14 PM EDT
[#33]
The only trouble I've had with them was once with two guys who were apparently newbies. They were pacing each other in the left and middle lanes, and the right lane had several slow cars in it. They'd speed up for about a quarter mile, then drop back below the speed limit. During one of these speed-ups I nailed it and got to an opening in the right lane just before their slow-down, then cut in front of them and kept going. One of them came zooming up to just past me, then backed off again, but then they just faded into the distance in my rearview mirror. (Still blocking everyone else).

The ones who zoom by and keep going don't bother me a bit. I find it rather fascinating to see someone come into view, go past, and continue until they're no longer in sight, all while riding a high-speed wheelie. I question their lifespan, but it looks cool.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:48:51 PM EDT
[#34]
hmmmm....this thread sounds strangely familiar to the DU's antigun threads.  I mean, I've seen a couple stories on the news about "assault weapons" so I guess a large portion of gun owners are lunatics bent on shooting up schools.

as both a sportbike rider and a victim of BRD,  sportbikes have almost exactly the same bad rap as guns.  A couple idiots make headlines and suddenly all sportbikes are dangerous and the riders are lunatics w/ a deathwish and no care for others around them.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:03:15 PM EDT
[#35]
I know its cliche' but there are old bikers and there are bold bikers  there is very few old bold bikers
Most the really crazy bikers guys i know are like that in all parts of their life ( wives/GFs other hobbies, the company they keep ETC)
and they drive like tards reguardless if they are in a their truck the wifes car or a bike
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:11:42 PM EDT
[#36]
True story.

A few years ago I was on highway 80 somewhere in Nevada.  Traffic was stopped for about a mile, they had a lane blocked off.  When we got over there, there was a motorcyclist on the road with his brain splattered all over the place.  It looked orange.  There was about a 6' streak of brain matter.  They were just covering him up.  It didn't buff out.    It appeared that he was not wearing a helmet.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:15:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Just tell yourself that somewhere, a deserving person is awaiting an organ donation, and act accordingly.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:32:25 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Just tell yourself that somewhere, a deserving person is awaiting an organ donation, and act accordingly.

Ever heard of John Parks?  He made a similar suggestion on an internet forum and it caught up with him real fast.

johnparkssucks.com/
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:36:25 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

+1 and future organ donors too, which is good for us!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:39:46 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Actually, motorcyclists need to obey traffic rules and need to be extra precautious because they are less visible. Those who ride safely are still subject to getting hit by a car because they are less visible.  If you can avoid an accident, then do so.

The motorcyclists who ride dangerously are risking their lives and if they get injured or die, it's their fault. This goes for crazy automobile drivers. I want to pass on the passing lane and a Volvo comes flying at over 85 right up to my bumper. Same thing. Idiot driver.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:41:04 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just not kidneys, they take corneas, heart valves, leg bones, connective tissue, arteries, and skin amongst other things.  Ask Polydude about it.  That's what he does.

Heck, potentially, you could improve/save the lives of a dozen folks off one idiot.  It's practically a public service to run them down.

I'm no fan of the idiot riders who endanger others with their stupid antics on the street.  But I think referring to killing sportbike riders as a "public service" crosses the line.  See johnparkssucks.com/
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:51:38 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

+1 If they were riding Harley's would you feel the same way?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:23:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Bottom line is that anybody driving slower than me is an idiot. Anybody driving faster than me is an asshole!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Bottom line is that anybody driving slower than me is an idiot. Anybody driving faster than me is a Maniac

fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:30:08 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I live in north Dallas, around LBJ, and every Thursday night, starting at midnight, they race around 635.  

Thats cuz Thursday night is Bike Night, dawg!

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:35:12 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm no fan of the idiot riders who endanger others with their stupid antics on the street.  But I think referring to killing sportbike riders as a "public service" crosses the line.  See johnparkssucks.com/

It's a joke son, J O K Egoogle it.  BTW:  I'm one of those "Old riders". Go smear yourself down a Jersey barrier and see if I care.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:44:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Freaks me out to see some teenage girl in a tanktop hanging off the back of one of those things...I guess this would be why.

videos.streetfire.net/video/78D59AC2-64DA-4FFF-A23D-596B5175A326.htm
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

as a sometimes rider of a crotchrocket who doesn't do all those things, and for the harley guys who cant (hard to get a couch's front wheel up in the air) you should watch for us. not because we are gonna zip up on you in an instant but because many drivers sometimes don't 'see' bikes for some reason. as for the squids you mentioned, statistics take care of them real fast.... i read somewhere that 1/2 of all sportbikes are totaled within 12 months... for 10k you can get a vehcile with near formula one performance. that type performance and a sub-twenty age often don't mix..
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

What an assinine statement .
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#50]
[quote]Quoted:

Being a former rider and knowing lots of those idiots, the reason to look out is because after you get into a collision with them, they sue you and win (or their families do). I know of several scumbags who caused accidents, sued and won.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top