Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 5:31:38 PM EDT
Hello there,

I want to make this very clear, I am not looking to sue someone or file any harassment charges. This is simply to understand that law surrounding this situation.

At my work, I work in retail. It is against company policy to speak a different language (Ex. spanish) to a customer unless they begin to speak the language to you FIRST.

My fiancee just started a job working at a school, most of the teachers there are hispanic and speak spanish while in the classroom to each other and while on breaks, lunches and in conversation.  My girlfriend and I have both taken spanish classes throughout high school and college but like anything else, if you do not practice and speak it daily you do "forget" things. She feels somewhat uncomfortable when the teachers are in a group and laugh and make other jestures, she knows that they are not directed towards her....but then again, how would she know?

I understand diversity and the freedome people have in America to speak whatever language they choose. Also, living on the East side of Cleveland for most of my life I have developed "thick skin" as well as my fiancee

From my understanding of taking classes in college and receiving my BA in Business Administration it is legal for a person to speak whatever language they want while on break/lunch. I am pretty sure that it is against most policies to speak a different language while "On the job".

I simply wanted a better explanation of this topic. I am not sure also how it would apply to a private enitity like a school.

Again, I am looking at this from a completely educational standpoint.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Pig Latin...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#2]
My advice to you is for you and your fianceé to take classes in Russian and encourage all your friends and her friends and colleagues to do so. And when the hispanics are talking in Spanish, practice your Russian. Laugh. Gesture around (not necessarily at them). Laugh some more.

And soon you'll not only be making them uncomfortable, but you'll be speaking Russian as well!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#3]
A very close friend of mine worked for National City Bank in Cleveland, OH, for 8 yrs.....when several employees complained about the Latino employees speaking Spanish on the job, a company directive from the CEO came down saying that "ALL employees will speak English, at all times while on NCB property...."...........that caused a slight ruffle, but no one quit or got sued, (to my knowledge)
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My advice to you is for you and your fianceé to take classes in Russian and encourage all your friends and her friends and colleagues to do so. And when the hispanics are talking in Spanish, practice your Russian. Laugh. Gesture around (not necessarily at them). Laugh some more.

And soon you'll not only be making them uncomfortable, but you'll be speaking Russian as well!

A great suggestion but she is the only "white girl" as she was called at the school. It is in South Phoenix, Arizona.

Luckily for us she is only doing this as an internship for 3 months while finishing her classes at Arizona State University.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:39:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I can only come up with about   87 possible replies to your question ,

but then I lack your level of Education.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#6]
unfortunatly, there is NO national language, so they can speak whatever they want.

you obviously havnt been to the mall in Miami.  the sales person STARTS to talk to you in spanish, and gets pissy when you speak english to them
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
unfortunatly, there is NO national language, so they can speak whatever they want.

you obviously havnt been to the mall in Miami.  the sales person STARTS to talk to you in spanish, and gets pissy when you speak english to them

I guess that answers my question. Until our great country decides to declare a national language anyone can speak any lanuage they want......otherwise, this wouldnt be the "land of the free"

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
This is America.  Speak ENGLISH.

I'm TOTALLY against the rule that some school systems have that makes a foreign language course compulsory.  If you want to learn to speak another language, that's your business, but when in public, speak English.

CJ

Dude, I couldn't agree LESS. Americans need to learn more languages. The only reason we can effectively travel the world is that other nations mandate the teaching of English in school.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

que buena suerte que yo hablo las dos idiomas

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top