Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 3:22:52 PM EDT
I've got to get this done.  I am thinking about going the laparoscopic route.  Anybody care to share their experiences?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Had it done like that a few years back. Three little hole. Two to work through, one to shove in the "chicken wire". I was out the door same day, no meds needed, and went sailing on my boat. Probably wasn't the best thing to do, but I was not as smart then as I am now... Did the same thing a couple of years ago with another hernia type injury. Got no time to hanging in hospitals. IMO you're either their to be born or die.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:29:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I had an umbilical hernia fixed last year.  They went in through my belly-button, pocked the guts back in and put a tire patch over the weak area (or that's the short story anyway.)  I went home the same day.  Layed around the house one day and then back at it.  No biggie.

Gus
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#3]
How bad is the scarring?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:33:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How bad is the scarring?

Plan to enter a swimsuit contest?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:33:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I had double hernia of the non laparoscopy kind.

2--4" incisions.

I was pretty uncomfortable for a few days.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:41:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Had it done on both sides! The old fashion way. Out of action for 4 to 6 weeks & It wasn't fun.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Had a left inguinal (sp?) done the old way.  Preferred it that way.  Doc sliced me open, pulled the nerve bundle and femural artery out of the way and patched me up with no complications.  In the hospital in the am and out later that day, walked to my vehicle - wife was driving.  Had me up walking a few hrs out of surgery.  Out of work for two days and back to work on the 3rd day.  Mind you I was shuffling papers for about 2wks but overall, it wasn't too bad really.

Know a guy that went laparoscopic and had minor complications afterward.  Had to do with nerves being pinched/damaged/stitched or something to that effect.  He had to do pain management and finally had a needle shoved up his grion to kill the nerve.  

Mind you, there will always be successful and not so successful operations no matter what route you take.  I chose normal procedure because the complications from this type of surgery were much less.

cya
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#8]
'had the laproscopic proceedure...
The worst part was the itchy-ness post op where they had saved me belly
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#9]
What does a hernia feel like? I've had this pain/discomfort to the right of and 3-4 inches below my bellybutton for the last couple of years.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:15:00 PM EDT
[#10]
My father had it done a few years back. Lets just say it wasnt his cup-o-tea.
He couldnt get off the couch and it was even almost to painfull for him to talk to loudly, and coughing or sneazing just forget about it. The not being able to move bit lasted a good solid 2 days followed by semisevere pain for couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Had a left inguinal (sp?) done the old way.  Preferred it that way.  Doc sliced me open, pulled the nerve bundle and femural artery out of the way and patched me up with no complications.  In the hospital in the am and out later that day, walked to my vehicle - wife was driving.  Had me up walking a few hrs out of surgery.  Out of work for two days and back to work on the 3rd day.  Mind you I was shuffling papers for about 2wks but overall, it wasn't too bad really.

Same here.  Did it a year and a half ago.  I felt like Ozzie Osborne shuffling around the couple days after the operation.  Just remember Percocets are your friend.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:22:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
How bad is the scarring?

Dude...

Chicks dig scars.

Two hernia repairs and one blowed up appendix.

I look like I got a F Minus in "How To Commit Seppuku 101 For Beginners"...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I had an umbilical hernia fixed last year.  They went in through my belly-button, pocked the guts back in and put a tire patch over the weak area (or that's the short story anyway.)  I went home the same day.  Layed around the house one day and then back at it.  No biggie.

Gus

I just had it done 6 weeks ago. Cut a smiley under the navel, and put in a 3" round dacron/teflon patch. Hobbled around for a couple of days --- two tylenol 3s every four hours set things right .

The anesthesia was cool too. My ab pain is gone now, so it was way worth it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Update:

Surgery done yesterday, some swelling but really not as bad as I expected.  Oh yeah, Hydrocodone rocks!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:35:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How bad is the scarring?

Dude...

Chicks dig scars.

Two hernia repairs and one blowed up appendix.

I look like I got a F Minus in "How To Commit Seppuku 101 For Beginners"...

Thanks noname I needed a laugh
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top