Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 9:45:56 AM EDT
I've been trying to explain what America is all about to a Canadian.  I want to write down what America is, and what about it is so meaningful to me. I figured it might be interesting to see what it is about this country that gives you that warm glowing feeling deep inside and brings a tear to your eye when you see the flag blowing in the wind during the national anthem.

So, what is America to you, and why do you love it?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:08:50 AM EDT
[#1]
She is my home, my nation, and what I "am".  My kinsmen gave their last full measure for her.  

Yes, she is a civilisation in decline today, just like the Roman Empire.  But this world has never seen a nation, a civilisation, a people who could even begin to hold a candle to what she was, what she still is, and will likely be again beyond anyone's wildest hopes and dreams.

I weep for what she is today, the freedoms lost, but I too would be honored to likewise give my last full measure for her even now, and I not only hope but believe(!) that she will again stand so far above and beyond the rest of the world that History will have but one word for A Great Nation, and that one word is the name of my home, my heritage and my love: America.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:10:56 AM EDT
[#2]
It is about coming up with your own reasons, and not copy/pasting ours into your message to the Canadian...

Edit: Tell him/her that it's like Canada, only better, and without the nagging Euro-sentiments.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:13:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It is about coming up with your own reasons, and not copy/pasting ours into your message to the Canadian...

Edit: Tell him/her that it's like Canada, only better, and without the nagging Euro-sentiments.

And we don't have a French province!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#4]
It's about hating Redcoats,  and Democrats!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
She is my home, my nation, and what I "am".  My kinsmen gave their last full measure for her.  

Yes, she is a civilisation in decline today, just like the Roman Empire.  But this world has never seen a nation, a civilisation, a people who could even begin to hold a candle to what she was, what she still is, and will likely be again beyond anyone's wildest hopes and dreams.

I weep for what she is today, the freedoms lost, but I too would be honored to likewise give my last full measure for her even now, and I not only hope but believe(!) that she will again stand so far above and beyond the rest of the world that History will have but one word for A Great Nation, and that one word is the name of my home, my heritage and my love: America.

That pretty much sums it up. nice post.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:20:32 AM EDT
[#6]
[Droz] It's about democracy.  It's about the Bill of Rights, basic cable, call-waiting,
and free trips to the salad bar.
It's about everything that
makes this country great. Our country.!
We can do something
about this.   We can finally say...
that when some people
are having a good time...
and drinking some beers,
throwing some meat...                  
that we're not
gonna protest. [/Droz]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Here are a few, i'm sure there will be much more posted.

Little League Baseball

& Pop Warner Football

Sizziling 4th of July's

Good 'ol American BBQ with your family

Patriots

& Patriotism

Freedom

.........& Twins

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:13:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Copying and pasting wouldn't work anyway.  I think America means different things to each of us, and while this particular cross section of the population probably sees a lot of the same things, every one of us thinks of something a little bit different.

I just thought that since I was working on this, it would be interesting to see how a few thousand American gun owners saw this country, and what made it special to them.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Copying and pasting wouldn't work anyway.  I think America means different things to each of us, and while this particular cross section of the population probably sees a lot of the same things, every one of us thinks of something a little bit different.

I just thought that since I was working on this, it would be interesting to see how a few thousand American gun owners saw this country, and what made it special to them.

Then I'll just say "Freedom" and leave it at that.

I couldn't count the number of times I've turned to my wife and said "Thank God we were born in the US" when I see some news report from a 3rd or 4th world bunghole country...

Canada is a great country too, make no mistake. Their liberals just get a little too cozy with the Euro types the last few decades.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:23:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Liberty. No nation on earth seems to understand this. The closest ones to us are probably the Canadians and Aussies, but it's not the same. In the US, I can stand on a street corner and tell everyone that Baptists will burn in hell, Catholics and Jews are in league with the antichrist, George Bush is a fucking asshole and that I hope the plague kills off the entire population of Mohammedans tomorrow....and I will be within my rights.....

Not that I believe any of those things.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:27:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
And we don't have a French province!

Louisiana?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Liberty. No nation on earth seems to understand this. The closest ones to us are probably the Canadians and Aussies, but it's not the same. In the US, I can stand on a street corner and tell everyone that Baptists will burn in hell, Catholics and Jews are in league with the antichrist, George Bush is a fucking asshole and that I hope the plague kills off the entire population of Mohammedans tomorrow....and I will be within my rights.....

Not that I believe any of those things.

Yep,

Other nations scream they are safer because they alow police unlimited search and seizure and have "better" gun laws. Or they are more equal because of public healthcare and pay those who "choose" not to work a livable wage.

But I dont care in the least,

We are  free, and that is what allows us to be great!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Dear American Bros, I know this thread is dedicated to US born members, but let me express what United States of America can mean to someone on this side of the Pond.

It's still the country of the big opportunities, where still people can pursue his/her own way to fulfill his/her on dreams, it is still the country of freedom of speech, where patriotism is not a sin and to care about your flag is not blasphemous.

It is the OLDEST western democracy, when people in Europe where still struggling with Kings, Queens and Dictators.

Due to the current situation, it is still the only country that openly is fighting with it's troops against those one's that are menacing our freedom, our way of life, our imperfect democracy, our sometimes consciousless freedom of press, political association, speech, right to keep and bear firearms.

It's is still the country I look to in the hope that, if people like me in Europe, will need, will land again to free us from our stupidity.

Just yesterday I was looking JAG, and aside Catherine Bell' s tits, I was hit by the young actors that were playing the minor roles as sailors, marines, SEALS... suddenly I saw a old woodland uniform with a Star-n-Stripe sewed on it and I wondered to myself WHAT to be american could mean i I was born there and USA was my country.

Probably I would feel proud of all the things I am missing here: powerful army, respect for the flag, freedom.

Last but not least: I am gasping trying to diffuse dynamic shooting with AR rifles here in Italy, as well as with other military rifles.
Probably if I was living in USA I would have my life MUCH easier than in a country (mine) where laws are so ambiguous and subjected to such a wide range of "interpretation"  that any time you go to range in the morning you don't know if must call your lawyer in the evening, and to be law abiding in organizing innocent rifle matches you cannot get ANY DEFINITIVE LAW OPINION even from the Authorities themselves.

I perfectly know that USA are FAR from perfect, but Christ, in Europe (exept for Scandinavian countries...) our rulers are FAR from giving us a CHANCE!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:41:27 PM EDT
[#14]
It's about the 58,249 names of fallen sons and brothers on a black granite Wall in Washington.

It's about 260,000 headstones at Arlington National Cemetery.

It's about 53,000 men that died in three days at Gettysburg.

It's about 600,000 men that died in the US Civil War.

It's about the 420,000 men that died defending freedom around the world against the Axis powers of Nazi Germany and Japan.

It's about six men that raised a flag on Iwo Jima.

Most importantly, it's about FREEDOM.

America is the Land of the Free, BECAUSE of the Brave.

Semper Fi.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:22:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I've been trying to explain what America is all about to a Canadian.  I want to write down what America is, and what about it is so meaningful to me. I figured it might be interesting to see what it is about this country that gives you that warm glowing feeling deep inside and brings a tear to your eye when you see the flag blowing in the wind during the national anthem.

So, what is America to you, and why do you love it?

Mostly it's just good to NOT be a Canadian. My great-grandparents had the sense to flee French Canuckistan 90 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Canadians were, by definition, those who did not want to be American. Seriously, where do you think all the english speakers came from? They are Tories who left for Canada after the war.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:14:22 PM EDT
[#17]
http://www.army.mil/medalofhonor/smith/

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#18]

'nuff said
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Canadians were, by definition, those who did not want to be American. Seriously, where do you think all the english speakers came from? They are Tories who left for Canada after the war.

Ahh its finally making sense!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top