Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2006 8:33:10 AM EDT
I just want a couple hours a month if even that.

Something I can use to notify Mrs Pic that I'm running late or in case something happens when I'm shopping and i have to call the boat.

Pay phones are disappearing at a fast rate these days.

I've fought having one for years and I guess it's time to climb out of my cave.

BTW, I do NOT want one with a camera, bottle opener, 100 songs, and a jack-in-the-box.
Just soething simple.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:35:11 AM EDT
[#1]
look at the pre paid phones.  you get a set number of minutes that you control on a monthly basis.  most major cell companies have pre paid options now.  look around and see what works for you
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:36:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Go prepaid.

The cheapest regular plans you could get would probably cost you at least $30 a month, if not more.  I'm on Cingular, and I'm stuck on the $39 plan, and have rollover minutes coming out my ears. (over 9000).  I use my dang phone less than an hour every month, but I'm paying out the ass for it.  Stupid contract.   Luckily it's up later this year.  After that, I'm switching to prepaid.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:37:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
look at the pre paid phones.  you get a set number of minutes that you control on a monthly basis.  most major cell companies have pre paid options now.  look around and see what works for you

They're sort of a joke. You have to recharge them every month or so because you can't carry unused minutes over.

At least any of the pre paid ones I've seen.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:37:49 AM EDT
[#4]
The kind where they implant it in your molars.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:58:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They're sort of a joke. You have to recharge them every month or so because you can't carry unused minutes over. At least any of the pre paid ones I've seen.

-The ones from the main monthly carriers like Verizon and Sprint are screw jobs.
Especially if you go into a indepentent retail store, the same people who can tell you everything that the $75-$100+/mo plans cover will just say "I don't know much about that" when you ask about the prepay phones.

Some of the smaller companies that do prepay-only are much better deals but have poorer coverage areas. Virgin and Trac Fone are two I have heard to be pretty good deals if you want <100 minutes a month. If you want a prepay phone, buy it ONLINE. Better service, less BS.
~
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They're sort of a joke. You have to recharge them every month or so because you can't carry unused minutes over.

At least any of the pre paid ones I've seen.

T-Mobile has a Pay As You Go Plan.  1000 minutes 365 days expiration for $100, on average $8.33 a month for 83.33 minutes of use.  The minutes rollover if you recharge again before your year is up.  They have a cheap $50 Nokia phone available.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:01:48 PM EDT
[#7]
let's see what the night crew can think up...
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Bump to keep it in my active topics.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Bump to keep it in my active topics.

Asked and answered, counselor. Prepaid for all you cheapskates that don't have enough personal stability to support a post-paid phone.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:14:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Hi Pic,

Many fond meories of the SEC stories.

I resisted getting a cell phone for many years, but finally got one after a motorcycle breakdown where things would have been better if I'd had one. I only turn mine on for my convenience; I don't leave it on all the time.

Anyhow, as to what kind of phone, get a "tri-mode". The tri-mode phones are able to get the two standard digital bands, PLUS an analog band, which is all there is in some out of the way places. "All digital" phones do not work AT ALL in those places. They claim that everything everywhere will be all digital in something like 2 years, but when has a massive infrastructure upgrade ever come in on schedule? I'll stick with a tri-mode, thank you very much.

For the carrier, go Verizon. Understand going in that all cell providers suck, much like banks or insurance companies. The only differentiator that is meaningful is coverage. Verizon has more network coverage than anyone else. Period.  This means that you are more likely to actually be able to make a call with Verizon than anyone else.  That is the single most important thing.

I have a $35.00/month plan. I don't use it that much, but some months I end up needing to make a lot of calls when on the road. I think if you try a pay as you go plan, you may find it worth your while to eventually get a real account, but whatever works...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top