Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2006 6:02:17 AM EDT
My teenage son had to have an orchiopexy surgery last month, and is not recovering
very well. His urologist says that everything is healing fine, and that there is no
signs of infection from recent ultrasound results. Yet, he still has swelling, pain, and nausea.
He is really no better at all after almost a month since the surgery.

I would like to discuss further details, and see if any of your patients have taken this
long to recover from this surgery, and if you can think of something that his doctor
could possibly be overlooking based on your experiences with your patients.

Please respond here and I will send you an IM, or send me an IM.

I really would appreciate any input. I am at my wit's end with my kid hurting for so long.

Thanks alot,
Herman

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:47:27 AM EDT
[#1]
No idea, but here's a free bump for your kid.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:47:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No idea, but here's a free bump for your kid.

Thank you for the free bump.

I am hoping one of our esteemed ARFCOM docs will respond.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Bumped one more time for the evening crew.

Calling all testicular experts. I know we have a cat doctor on the board,
don't we have any ball-ologists?

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:48:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Bump to keep it up.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a baller, shot caller, 20" blades on the Impala....

Bump for your kid though, hope he gets better soon.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not an MD, I'm a hospital pharmacist, but here is my 2 cents worth.  It is probably epididymitis and may have spread into the prostate and also be prostatitis.  If it were my own sack or if it were my kid, I would INSIST on a 14-30 day course of antibiotics.

Best of luck, hope he gets to feeling better soon.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:18:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Go get a second opinion.
I'm a nurse and if I had a feeling something was wrong that's what I would do.
If your doc gets mad, fuck him, it ain't his kid and he shouldn't be threatened.
Oh yeah, I'm not a doctor and neither is a pharmacist. People "insisting" on antobiotics along with compliant doctors is why we have MRSA and VRE.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#8]
He had a month's worth of Amoxicillin and Septra following the surgery.
He's had enough antibiotics to cure cancer and ebola by now.

Surgery was done in early February, but he still has swelling and pain. The
incision is healing nicely and  looks okay.
800mg of Ibuprofen is taking the pain away, but he is still waddling around like a
a guy that has ridden cross country on a horse.

Ultrasound showed no infection.  The doctor says that  time will heal it,
but he is still walking like he did after the procedure.  

I am just wondering if a nerve is pinched in there or something.
Something definitely isn't right. A healthy teenager should have
bounced back from this by now. The procedure is not that much more
invasive than a vasectomy.

Thanks for the advice all. Maybe one of the docs here will see this and comment as well.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:48:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Perhaps he needs to give it a rest, I know how much abuse the monkey got when I was 15.

As bad as he is feeling, I can pretty much guarantee he has not been churning his butter.

BTT

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:52:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm not an MD, I'm a hospital pharmacist, but here is my 2 cents worth.       It is probably epididymitis  and may have spread into the prostate and also be prostatitis.  If it were my own sack or if it were my kid, I would INSIST on a 14-30 day course of antibiotics.

Best of luck, hope he gets to feeling better soon.

Just talked to the doctor's office and based on the recent urine culture, this is what
they are diagnosing it as. They are calling in a Rx for Keflex. (500mg twice a day).
I am hoping this will get him on the road to recovery, and will take a few prayers if
you want to send them our way.

Thanks,

Herman

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:56:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:56:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Prayers sent for your boy's speedy recovery
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:01:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I had surgery to repair a ruptured testicle back in Nov. My urologist assured me all would be back to normal in 4 to 6 weeks, but I'm just now getting back to the point where I'm not really tender and uncomfortable.

The "boys" take a long time to heal. Hope your son feels better soon.

echo6
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:05:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Go get a second opinion.
I'm a nurse and if I had a feeling something was wrong that's what I would do.
If your doc gets mad, fuck him, it ain't his kid and he shouldn't be threatened.
Oh yeah, I'm not a doctor and neither is a pharmacist. People "insisting" on antobiotics along with compliant doctors is why we have MRSA and VRE.

Hey, nurse (helobravo).  Did ya catch what the diagnosis was?  Stick that in your crack pipe and smoke it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top