Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2006 6:01:40 AM EDT
We have health and optical thru my company, but no dental.  Unfortunately, I see some major dental expenses coming up between the wife and the kids.  

What are my options?  Try and find dental insurance and just pay for it, or, simply just pay the bill and take it off on my taxes?  

Options?

Thanks.

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:05:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think you can take it off of your taxes unless it hits 7.5% or more of your gross income.  As for whether independent insurance or paying out of pocket is better I have no clue but am interested to hear thoughts as well.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:11:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I don't think you can take it off of your taxes unless it hits 7.5% or more of your gross income.  

That is correct.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:13:57 AM EDT
[#3]
You can get dental insurance fairly cost effective, but be aware, most orthodonture (braces) are NOT covered. This can be very expensive.

The best advice is to make sure you floss and brush and get your kids to as well. Preventative care is very effective with teeth.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:16:08 AM EDT
[#4]
My wife and I went down this road some time ago. At that time I used both a medical spending account and company insurance to cover braces for both kids. One daughter had two rounds of braces so we spent a lot of money on their teeth. Despite insurance, it was very expensive. We spent $1000's on their teeth.

Spending accounts let us use pre-tax dollars so that helped. The insurance through my employer was designed for 2 cleanings a year. Beyond that it cost money out of pocket.

These days, everything dental comes out of pocket. Thankfully, we're beyond the braces age!

Not much help I know.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:18:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:19:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I pay cash (check) and ask for discounts.

I usually get around 20 to 25% off.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:12:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Wow, I didn't know you could do that.  

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:13:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Number nine Kliens. Dremel tool. Soldering iron.

and LOTS of brandy.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:15:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm going to see if I can use the facilities at my local college. They have a great dental program.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:20:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Make sure you shop around...

I had a dentist who charged $200 to pull a tooth.
My buddy sent me to his dentist, same proceedure for $50.

They will often cut you a big break if paying with cash or credit card. Many dentists are sympathetic to those without insurance plans. Their rates are set for milking insurance companies, not individuals. However, that concept is obviously flawed since we ultimately end up shafted regardless.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:20:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My wife and I went down this road some time ago. At that time I used both a medical spending account and company insurance to cover braces for both kids. One daughter had two rounds of braces so we spent a lot of money on their teeth. Despite insurance, it was very expensive. We spent $1000's on their teeth.

Spending accounts let us use pre-tax dollars so that helped. The insurance through my employer was designed for 2 cleanings a year. Beyond that it cost money out of pocket.

These days, everything dental comes out of pocket. Thankfully, we're beyond the braces age!

Not much help I know.

Good luck!

bout the same here- 2 cleanings a year and a couple x-rays..  big supprise when I get my teeth cleaned, they are always more charges that are not covered.
it costs like 4 bucks a paycheck for this wonderfull service for me and wife- add the two kids and it quadruples.  If I want "real" coverage- it quintuples and to add the kids it googuples.
so I just get the cheapest one and then pay the rest out of pocket and claim it on pre-tax medical spending-  has saved me money over paying for the "insurance"...so far...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:26:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a middle sis that is a real DDS-type from UCLA.  She only charges my family what the insurance will pay, and that's that.  Up until recently, I didn't require too much dental work, I only have one 2 cavities, and I've got a crown.

Best way to avoid expensvie dentisry visits, bush very thoughly with mechanical tooth brushes such as Sonicare, use the plaque washes before brushing, and the mouth washes after brushing, and use the flouride rinses.  It real important to brush before going to bed because tooth decay is caused by bacteria and the lack natural washing action of silvia when sleeping combined with food residues will cause tooth destroying bacteria in the mouth.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:26:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I sell my plasma
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Brush and floss several times daily.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:26:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I had to pay cash for my last trip to the dentist. I had to get a couple of wisdom teeth removed and it cost me about $750.00
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:27:55 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yep.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I've had about 35,000 dollars (yes, that figure is correct) worth in my mouth in the last 4 to 5 years.
Almost none of it was covered by dental insurance.  Dental insurance only covers routine things (exams, xrays,fillings) and not huge big things that you really need insurance for.
I sold stock and paid cash.  And most places will give you cash discounts.  (and if not, you let them bill you and hold onto it for as long as possible).
So, i feel your pain of $750 expense
oh, no., no i don't.  

Seriously, ask around, get the very best dentist you can and pay cash, be way more useful than worthless dental insurance.  
Oh yeah, and take good care of your teeth or end up broke like me.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:39:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all the good advice.

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:45:52 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm in a different situation, I get dental but no eye care.

Does your company have a flex plan or cafeteria plan, whatever they call it these days where untaxed money can be taken out of your paycheck to pay for unreimbursed medical expenses.

Not as good as insurance, but at least you're not paying taxes on it.

Ed
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:05:24 AM EDT
[#20]
+1 on the cash for discounts...

you can also reconsider the recommendations of the dentist (he is a business man) who  may sell you something you don't want or really need.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:24:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Last year I paid over $33k for me and Miz LWilde to have pretty pearlies.

My implants (6) alone cost me just about $30k.

My company dental insurance plan pays $1.5k per year per person.

I paid the rest out of my own pocket.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

WTF????

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#25]

I find it funny that people willingly  pay their dentist before their physician.  

And people will pay tens of thousands for pretty teeth, yet scream at $100 a month for a drug  that prolongs their life or eliminates symptoms.

Where is the cry for national dental care?

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:02:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF????

Yep, implants ain't covered.  by anyone.  although they do work and they look and act great, they ain't cheap.  That's what ran up my bill too.

But I is pretty now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top