Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2006 6:00:43 AM EDT
How can I find more info about his service?  I know he was gassed, and NEVER talked about his experiences.  So I guess I'm at the mercy of the VA/records...

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:02:46 AM EDT
[#1]
That is some fancy handwriting.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:42:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Your Grandaddy was a Yankee!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:50:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Might try Indianapolis records dept, but I doubt you'll get much info of the nature you are looking for. Military records are pretty terse and lacking in detail.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:42:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How can I find more info about his service?  I know he was gassed, and NEVER talked about his experiences.  So I guess I'm at the mercy of the VA/records...

homepage.uab.edu/beetle/wwi.JPG

Not at all. You've got lots of information as a place to start right there. The SF180 will help as well, but this is great.

From that we know he was K Company of the 11th Infantry Regiment, which was under the 10th Infantry Brigade of the 5th Infantry Division ('least according to a 5th Infantry website). Or so I figure. I'm not really up on what the structure was in World War One (It would be lovely if the world could sit down and everybody decide on one structure.) At least at the end anyway.
You've also got that he was in the Meuse-Argonne battles in late 1918.

Can you type up what's in the "Remarks" section? It looks like it says he might have also been in some other unit, but my crap monitor isn't helping.  

Anyway, you've got a great starting point right here. There will be official Army records for all this. After Action Reports, battle maps, probably photos, Divison histories, etc. You'll probably be buried in data if you want to be. He was in one of the big battles of the war, so there should be a lot.

www.carlisle.army.mil/usamhi/
www.smh-hq.org/links.html
www.army.mil/cmh/

If you can't get to Carlisle to do research, they will do the source research for you on a family member. However this will be on a "when we get around to it" basis, and they get a lot. If you go up, they should be helpful. Military History people tend to a)be fanatics about such things and b)take any information request as a personal challenge if it's hard.

Also, note that he's listed as having fought until 11 Nov 1918. He might've been in direct action right up until the very end.

Have any more documents?

ETA: I'd first figure out a personal history of what units he was in, and when. Then where they were throught the war, and then you can figure out more details off that.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:05:59 AM EDT
[#6]
WOW  thanks guys

ETA:  The comments page :

10 Co 1st Infantry
Rep Regt May 27 1918 - July 12 1918 1st Co ??RR (ARR? / VARR?)
July 14 - Aug 14, 1918  329?(327?) Inf Aug 15 - Sept 16, 1918
Co K 11th Inf Sept 27 - to date of discharge
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:52:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
WOW  thanks guys

ETA:  The comments page :

10 Co 1st Infantry
Rep Regt May 27 1918 - July 12 1918 1st Co ??RR (ARR? / VARR?)
July 14 - Aug 14, 1918  329?(327?) Inf Aug 15 - Sept 16, 1918
Co K 11th Inf Sept 27 - to date of discharge

NP.

Hmm, "10 Co 1st Infantry" doesn't make a whole lot of sense, as a Company has a letter designation. I figure "Rep Regt" means "Replacement Regiment", so it probably isn't overly critical to his "battle history" anyway. The guys at Carlisle would know what it meant. Might just be some "let's stick guys here when they enlist until we figure out what to do with them" unit. Or training. Not sure.

329th Infantry was part of the 83rd Division, which was formed up by people from Ohio, so that makes sense. Couldn't tell you why they'd move him to another division.

327th of the 82nd Division was made up mostly of people from Georgia and was already in France when your ggfather joined, so I'd put money on him being in the 329th for that period of time listed.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:43:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Again, thank you for all your help.  This should really get me started inthe right direction.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Here's a pretty cool site you could spend all day on......

The Doughboy Center
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Very cool find BB!

Originally Posted By :
That is some fancy handwriting.

Yeah, once-upon-a-time they actually taught "Penmanship" in schools.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top