Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 12:26:44 AM EDT
Got a carbide device on the knife, how do I use it?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:30:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Is it a pointy thing ?    If so, a good solid rap should pop a window, I'd think.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:35:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I think you hit it at the middle near the bottom. Isn't used for car windows or I am thinking of something else?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:07:10 AM EDT
[#3]
to answer your specific question: 87 PSI. If this fails, use a repeated blow technique 87 times. If that fails, step back 87" and throw, you guessed it, an 87 pound rock thru said window.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:13:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Dumbass friend in backseat on road trip:  "Hey, what's this thing?"

Me: "That's a glass breaker/seatbelt cutter combo tool."

Dumbass: "Huh."

(Lightly taps back driver's side window, sending spiderweb cracks thruout)

Dumbass: "Oops.  Guess it works."
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:17:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Plate glass is the easiest.  A lite rap near the frame will take it out.  Tempered glass is a different story.  I dropped a cinderblock on a 2'X2'X3/16" piece that was laying over a hole in the ground.  It bounced off. More than a few times. I finally had to heave the bloch with etreme force to shatter the little piece of glass.  My sun room has 3/8" thick tempered glass panels. I'd guess that a .22 wouldn't bust it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:25:14 AM EDT
[#6]
You use it against glass the same way you'd use a "rock".

Although more technical and more expensive then the average "rock", the principles are still the same.

Remember... use it as if it were a "rock".

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:45:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Microtechs are awesome aren't they?

I always thought it was for mashing people on the skull with and "glass breaker" was just a PC way of saying "skull cracker."
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:51:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:59:58 AM EDT
[#9]
till it breaks is a good answer.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:30:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:39:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Throw any dead dog you have handy at it.

GM
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:49:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I've actually got a bit of experience breaking car glass, and will add, it's not as easy to break as you may think. Newer glass is pretty damn tough. I've swung at it with claw hammers, claw end first, multiple times, and it did not break. When you unload cars with a loader, and put the forks through the glass, you can watch the glass flex a significant amount before it breaks. It flexs to the point that the car will actually move before the glass breaks. After seeing this, I myself would put little faith in those hammers.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:14:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
to answer your specific question: 87 PSI. If this fails, use a repeated blow technique 87 times. If that fails, step back 87" and throw, you guessed it, an 87 pound rock thru said window.

w00t!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:31:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:11:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Plate glass is the easiest.  A lite rap near the frame will take it out.  Tempered glass is a different story.  I dropped a cinderblock on a 2'X2'X3/16" piece that was laying over a hole in the ground.  It bounced off. More than a few times. I finally had to heave the bloch with etreme force to shatter the little piece of glass.  My sun room has 3/8" thick tempered glass panels. I'd guess that a .22 wouldn't bust it.

In high school I managed to break a floor-to-ceiling tempered window next to the door by hitting it with a blackboard eraser. I believe they are just felt stitched together. Damdest thing I ever saw...started as a spot and over the space of a few minutes it spread throughout the entire window, groaning and creaking as it progressed.  The eraser was thrown across the room with maximum force.  I'm guessing that the building shifted after the window was installed, and put some angular stresses on the glass panel. So I guess that a pointy object would not require much force to do the same thing.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:14:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Only windshields spider.   Door windows and the rear windshield shatter completely if broken.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:28:41 AM EDT
[#17]
You dont have to hit it that hard if you hit it in the right spot. Any window will break if hit in a corner. Side windows, corner nearest the rearview mirror. Windshields, in the corners. I got this info from a guy who deals in glass and it works. The idea is to find the weakest spot. I've tried it on many occations, '98 Chevy Lumina with an ASP baton, 1 hit glass gone.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:31:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:41:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
only 1 way to find out my brother, try it at your next felony car stop!

lol
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:42:00 AM EDT
[#20]
My window punch is an ASP

And once it was a P229
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:42:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/jsinz/dirty229r2.jpg

I don't see it ... which part?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:43:43 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's at the rear...you can see it better here:

Fixed it

BC
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:59:56 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/BlueCrusader/mt30073021.jpg

Fixed it

BC

I gotta get me one of them
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:18:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/BlueCrusader/mt30073021.jpg

Fixed it

BC

I would, but they're banned here in the UK. Go figure.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:25:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Microtechs are the shit.  I have three.

BC
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:05:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:09:20 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I've seen similar things done before.

Never fails to amaze me.

I've taken firearms away from people before for saying "Gee! Will this .22 go through......"
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:17:29 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
A cop once told me the best thing for breaking a car window is a spring loaded automatic center punch like you can find at many tool and hardware stores.

Word. When I was a vol fireman, we all carried spring loaded center punches in our turnout coat pockets. These were used on the side windows of vehicles involved in wrecks. Most people have their car doors locked and if they are ringy or unconcious after a wreck, it's the only way to get to them.

You can bang on those windows with a hammer and they wont break, but that little point with 20 lbs of force behind it and poof!

When the thing is used, the glass just crumbles. It's pretty cool. I carry one now in my jeeps' console. You never know when you might need it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:40:01 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
A cop once told me the best thing for breaking a car window is a spring loaded automatic center punch like you can find at many tool and hardware stores.

Sure, they will work fine for your average kid locked in a car call, but I'd guess that cop never had to break a window to a vehicle containing a drunk idiot trying to speed off.

I have time to get three things, gun, light or knife (with carbide glass breaker), a spring loaded punch in the patrol bag is no good. Prior to gettting the knife, the above scenario was completed by the strategic application of a flashlight, sending shards of glass across the drivers face. He thought he had been shot.

I take it few have used such a tool..... Off to the junkyard!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:40:57 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only windshields spider.   Door windows and the rear windshield shatter completely if broken.

Not when coated with window tint.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:44:23 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I take it few have used such a tool..... Off to the junkyard!

I have used the one on mine.  A stiff swing will do it.  Think of what it takes to do it with an ASP, cut the required force in half and you about have it.

FWIW....I still use the ASP 99% of the time.  The bonus being that if I have to lay a beat-down on the douche driver who's trying to take off with me hanging out his window.......you get the picture.

BC
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:48:06 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I've actually got a bit of experience breaking car glass, and will add, it's not as easy to break as you may think. Newer glass is pretty damn tough. I've swung at it with claw hammers, claw end first, multiple times, and it did not break. When you unload cars with a loader, and put the forks through the glass, you can watch the glass flex a significant amount before it breaks. It flexs to the point that the car will actually move before the glass breaks. After seeing this, I myself would put little faith in those hammers.

You longshoremen are so squirrelly!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#34]
I just got my Microtech, waited a long time, but I wonder if I hold the glass breaker to the glass, with the blade out, will the force of retracting the blade cause the window to break?

Can you test that? Mine only has the one large breaker on it.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:31:07 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Years ago,  I was looking for parts at a junkyard and a friend of mine who was with me showed me a very neat trick.    He pried the trim molding off a car, where it covers the window seal,   told me to place the tip of a flat blade screwdriver into the gap between the window and the body, in the seal,  and twist with moderate force and see what happened.      

The gap between the body and the edge of the window (rear window) was narrower than the blade of the screwdriver, so twisting the screwdriver placed force on the edge of the glass.

I swear, I barely twisted it at all and suddenly the window just turned white and fell out in a million tiny cubes of safety glass.  

I could not believe how little force it took to break the window.  It wasn't enough of a twist to break
most screws loose.

Try it.  It's amazing.

CJ

I always heard that if you get a torch(like a portable blow type) and heat a small spot to red hot on a car window then wait, after a few minutes the window will crackle then fall to pieces, without any real noise. Anyone know if this is true. My buddies brother was a bad boy if it is true.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

whoops, busted.  You caught me redhanded making up lies about glassbreakers on the internet so I can win friends and influence people.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top