Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 9:14:24 PM EDT
im looking at a house tommorrow that i may be buying.  its in my city, Inver Grove Heights MN, 3 blocks from where i live now.

Details- 3 bedroom, one bathroom, small 2 car garage ( no way my 2006 F350 Crew Cab long box will fit )  but my stump grinder ( i run my own small tree removal service ) and four wheeler and other things will fill it up just fine.  House was built in 1937, and sits on a perfect .54 acres of land. what i mean by perfect is the land is flat and open which is important cause i need to drive through the yard with my 14' dump trailer and drop off firewood to split, stack, store and sell. The house has a newer roof, newer paint ( though its stucco )  newer furnace and a/c, the inside seems like its been painted, kept really nice / updated etc, hardwood floors.

they are asking $189K,   which is very low for this area. few places have a half acre lot around here.

I am 23 years old and this will be my first house. im kind of nervous...

but the few things i wonder about is... even though its in a suburb, theres no asphalt or concrete on the driveway... just dirt... i dont know if that meets city requirements...  the siding is stucco which i dont like, and the house is already almost seventy years old.  im considering looking for other houses also, but this one fits my size/price/land need... and its available NOW.

so, i was wondering if anyone had any advice or opinions?

thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:16:58 PM EDT
[#1]
That kind of money would buy you a brand new home here. It is crazy how prices vary from one area to the next.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:26:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
That kind of money would buy you a brand new home here. It is crazy how prices vary from one area to the next.

yeah, and this is the cheapest house on the market in this area that ISNT a dump, or on foreclosure and that has a BIG yard.  my friend just payed 250K for a house that isnt all that special.. and that would have sold for 180K 5 years ago. amazing how fast prices are going up.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:41:42 AM EDT
[#3]
bump for the day crew
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:54:26 AM EDT
[#4]
If you are serious about it, at the very least have the home inspected. Use a certified inspector and one who has Errors and Ommissions (E&O) insurance. Make sure they do not have anything in the contract about not holding them responsible for problems they do not find. They should also be able to tell you what codes the house satisfies and which ones it does not. Do NOT get an inspection outfit suggested by the realtor or the owner. Ask around and see if you can find any recs. from friends, co-workers, etc. Ask for references and call them.

I would also want to know how many days on the market the house has been. This is usually found at the bottom of the disclosure form the seller is required to fill out.

How old is the stucco? Is it real stucco or the EPHIS kind? EPHIS is the one that many have had problems with due to improper installation. This is the one with the styrofoam backing and then it is mudded over to make it look like "real" stucco. If it is EPHIS, I would seriously re-consider buying it. You may also have a problem with securing financing with this exterior as well.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:58:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you are serious about it, at the very least have the home inspected. Use a certified inspector and one who has Errors and Ommissions (E&O) insurance. Make sure they do not have anything in the contract about not holding them responsible for problems they do not find. They should also be able to tell you what codes the house satisfies and which ones it does not. Do NOT get an inspection outfit suggested by the realtor or the owner. Ask around and see if you can find any recs. from friends, co-workers, etc. Ask for references and call them.

I would also want to know how many days on the market the house has been. This is usually found at the bottom of the disclosure form the seller is required to fill out.

How old is the stucco? Is it real stucco or the EPHIS kind? EPHIS is the one that many have had problems with due to improper installation. This is the one with the styrofoam backing and then it is mudded over to make it look like "real" stucco. If it is EPHIS, I would seriously re-consider buying it. You may also have a problem with securing financing with this exterior as well.

+1, this is the way to go to answer your questions.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:21:15 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 on hiring a good home inspector.  Don't use anyone a realtor recommends.  A good inspector will spend half a day looking over the place.  Wet basements and structural problems can be an issue up there especially if there is a lot of clay in the soil.  

My only real problem with your location is that Inver Grove Heights is kinda close to South St. Paul and West St. Paul (maybe 494 provides a barrier against the inner city scum?).  If it were me and I needed to be on that side of town I'd prefer Eagan.  

On the other hand you are young and this is a "starter" home.  Real estate has performed great in Minnesota over my lifetime.  My parent's first house there cost $17k in 1965, they sold it for $40k.  Next house cost $60k and today it is probably worth $600k+.  

The only other issue is just one bathroom, but if you are handy you can add one yourself in the basement.  Do call up the city and check on rules for driveways.  Depending upon the configuration of the yard can you add another building in the back yard?  That would be a huge plus--you can store your equipment indoors, have a workshop, and maybe even rent out boat storage space.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:27:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey Builttough, you ever see a black 2005 F-150 with silver racing stripes driving around in your area?  It stands out pretty good considering the fact that the tires always seem to be smoking.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:32:52 AM EDT
[#8]
builttoughf250:  Good for you, at 23, you're going to get your first house.  I didn't buy my house until I was 36.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:44:27 AM EDT
[#9]
  First check with the City/Town to see if they will allow a Business such as yours to operate out of a residential area. You do not want the ‘Boys in Blue’ to show up just as you get your operation going with a Cease and Desist Order. I have seen it happen too many times with ‘Home’ businesses.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#10]
The neighbors might not be too happy about you turning a residential house into a business.Don't get pissed but I wouldn't be too happy.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

no doubt.

I was thinking how cheap $189k is. You couldn't even come close to buying a townhouse for that here.

The 1br condos not too far away start at $300k per the sign outside.

Anyway, it's normal to be nervous about buying your first house.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:49:28 PM EDT
[#12]
You would not believe what you could buy down here for that kind of money.

I feel your pain.

HH
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:57:37 PM EDT
[#13]
+1 on getting an inspector

+1 on checking with the city about a home business.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:59:21 PM EDT
[#14]
If you're going to be dumping cash in it right away go lowball on your first offer.  At least the market isn't as hot as it used to be-which is good for you as a buyer.  +1 to the advice about calling the city and asking them about your wood hauling plans.  I grew up there and I know there are some real pricks living there who will complain to the Po-Pos/city inspectors at the drop of a hat.  Is the house in the South Grove area?  Post WWII bungalows with small yards were going for 250k a couple years ago, but prices have gone down.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:29:51 PM EDT
[#15]
builttoughf250. I work construction all over the "twin cities"

That is not a bad price for Inver Grove Heights, if it is what you want.

Matter of fact, I was just there today.

You would not believe what they are getting for small town homes there. (or maybe you would )

At 23 and ambitious, you probably can't do wrong. Good luck pal.

GM

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:43:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no doubt.

I was thinking how cheap $189k is. You couldn't even come close to buying a townhouse for that here.

Just nine short years ago I paid way less than $189k for a 4BR,3BA house walking distance to the Metro.  Of course it is in PG County.  Same house is $400k today (on paper).

GunLvr
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#17]
ill check for sure on city codes about the driveway not being paved.

as for the "home business" i get away with it at my current house... 3 blocks from the house i looked at... basically... all i have sitting around is a F350, a 14' dump trailer, 5x8 trailer with a stump grinder on it, and a woodsplitter and a couple cords of firewood. now, my current neighboors dont complain, but the new place might, if they are putting such expensive houses on it....

i have an option to buy the neighboors right next door to where i live... they had it on sale on the market for a while, then gave up for a time and started renting it out to a family for a short time... as long as they dont trash it... should be ok... and im really good friends with the people who currently own it. same price as this other house, 189K, but its half the yard size and its a duplux / townhome basically. i hate being so close to neighboors but.... it would be a good starter home and its 61 years NEWER than the other house....  

anyways i looked at the other house and it seems like it needs alot of trim work, and wall work, seems like some of the house is plasture and not sheetrock... the cabinets and all the little crawlspace doors are kinda crappy...  i want to turn my back on it but... its possible with the price of the houses being built around it, this property value could go way up...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:12:44 PM EDT
[#18]
You can do better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do a google for minnesota lake homes or minnesota hobby farms.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:59:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Unless you're set on InverGrove Heights, A lot of the suburbs north of the city have homes built on lots where they can be no smaller than 2.5 acres. And you'll spend the same money. Four years ago I got a split level, 3br, 2ba, 2 car garage, 32x40 polebarn, on 2.54 acres.......$180k. House is now 6 years old. Shop around.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:50:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Unless you're set on InverGrove Heights, A lot of the suburbs north of the city have homes built on lots where they can be no smaller than 2.5 acres. And you'll spend the same money. Four years ago I got a split level, 3br, 2ba, 2 car garage, 32x40 polebarn, on 2.54 acres.......$180k. House is now 6 years old. Shop around.

What north suburbs do you recommend?  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:38:43 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

heres my situation- from running my tree service- i have all my customers around inver grove heights, south saint paul, eagan, west saint paul.  so, for MY customers, i need to stay based in the middle which is in Inver Grove Heights. When i work for my brother in Coon Rapids ( 35 minutes North of me ) it would kill me if i moved any further South like in Eagan plus eagans taxes are too high.   Ive thought about moving to The Blaine / Coon Rapids / Anoka area, but then id have to drive all the way down to inver grove for MY customers... basically im stuck between a rock and a hard place. but man... theres some damn good listings for sale in Cambridge / East Bethel ETC.  The houses in South Saint Paul seem way to small of yards and too close together
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Anyway, it's normal to be nervous about buying your first house.

+1, I just did it about a year ago.  Best decision I ever made.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:02:02 AM EDT
[#23]
On the one hand you are closer than I would want to be to S St Paul and W St Paul, on the other hand you are pretty close to downtown St Paul and being close to downtown should help your property values over time (even though St Paul is not an economic powerhouse anymore).  Also is there any chance commuter rail will ever go in on the Mississippi corridor?  That would also help future property values.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:07:08 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

That was 4 years ago!!!!!!! I have been shopping for awhile now. That's a good price for that area or any that's a suburb of the cities. I have a house for sale in Richfield right know. So, I know that the market sucks. Prices have and will still fall. Remember bid very very low and work up. Maybe offer 160 to start. If your realtor doesn't like that. Find a new one. Some hate to start with low offers. I got mine trained after 2 years of buying in this market. Good luck...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:09:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Damn kids!!

23-years-old.  Buying a house.  Owns a 2006 F350.  Runs his own business.  

You should be smoking dope all day while living in your parents' cellar.  What has happened to the younger generation?  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:10:54 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

heres my situation- from running my tree service- i have all my customers around inver grove heights, south saint paul, eagan, west saint paul.  so, for MY customers, i need to stay based in the middle which is in Inver Grove Heights. When i work for my brother in Coon Rapids ( 35 minutes North of me ) it would kill me if i moved any further South like in Eagan plus eagans taxes are too high.   Ive thought about moving to The Blaine / Coon Rapids / Anoka area, but then id have to drive all the way down to inver grove for MY customers... basically im stuck between a rock and a hard place. but man... theres some damn good listings for sale in Cambridge / East Bethel ETC.  The houses in South Saint Paul seem way to small of yards and too close together

Not the North suburbs.... Driving to the south and anywhere else sucks... Try Hudson, Wi first. Downtown St Paul is 15 minutes, MOA is 25 minutes, Northside is 40 minutes. Kind of an in between.... But Inver Grove is a nice city also..
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Damn kids!!

23-years-old.  Buying a house.  Owns a 2006 F350.  Runs his own business.  

You should be smoking dope all day while living in your parents' cellar.  What has happened to the younger generation?  

He is not like most... He is responsibly F#$%%^ up... We should seen what happened to this dude.... Also if you get a house... Make sure you keep your Johnson wrapped very tight all the time. Maybe try so extra precautions... HAte to loose the house to a drunkin night of free bliss......
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:12:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Definately get it inspected. A house that old may have steel water pipes and questionable wiring, not to mention poor insulation/heating. It could cost you a fortune to heat up here.

Spend the cahs and get it inspected.

Sua Sponte,
Prib
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top