Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2006 6:52:56 PM EDT
I just decided to hook up my Alltel RAZR and use it as a modem, and im pulling 16K/sec which sucks to most of you im sure, but im normally on regular dial-up and only see 5K/sec.  

Just wondering who does and what speeds your getting?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:54:18 PM EDT
[#1]
i use my cell to go on the internet through the phone, but not as a modem.

i have cable modem here, and cell speed is piss poor.

not to mention, arent you paying out the ass for that?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I have Verizon with EVDO.  I get about 500kbs which is DSL like. Decent for surfing, downloading and streaming media.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Uses minutes... And I have unlimited nights and weekends.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:58:57 PM EDT
[#4]
lucky bastard.  i get charged by the data transfer rate, regardless of time
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I have Cingular access card.

It slides in the port on the side of my computer.

It used to be $99/ month, it went down to $79.

I just have it as a backup, now.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:59:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uses minutes... And I have unlimited nights and weekends.

Wow......I never thought of doing that.....back home in the boonies I can only get 56k but get great cell-phone reception........might be worth a try.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:59:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey Loki you should bump your thread about your forum gto get some new blood over there!

How fast is the Cell/Modem connection?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hey Loki you should bump your thread about your forum gto get some new blood over there!

How fast is the Cell/Modem connection?

Im pulling 16K/sec on this download... I normally get like 5K/sec through regular dial-up

As for prices, Alltel has like 3 packages and this one uses minutes. They also have a 144K package, but i can figure out if it uses minutes or not, and if it does I dont know how to get it working yet.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I check Email on my cell, and they DO charge by the byte. (or some shit) It is not unlimited, like that card I have.

My old Razr was slow as shit, my new one is a lot faster.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I check Email on my cell, and they DO charge by the byte. (or some shit) It is not unlimited, like that card I have.

My old Razr was slow as shit, my new one is a lot faster.

Yes, if you surf through your cell browser it uses data/kb and not minutes.. But im using the mini-USB to conenct to my PC and make a dial-up connection
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:54:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a Verizon phone a while back (ditched it cause I never really used it and didn't enjoy paying for it every month).
There are two ways to get online with most phones:
There was -some- sort of free cellphone internet service that Verizon provided although they didn't really publicize it any more, as they were pushing their own (higher-priced) 144Kb "hi-speed" service,,,, but you can find out online how to get onto the service, if it's still available in your area. I never tried it. This is when you use the phone's browser and they charge you for every little thing.

The other way was to get a data cable and just to use the phone as a regular dial-up modem. This only gets charged as a regular phone call. Mine got about 14K. It was slow, but was a great help when I was travelling, hooked to the laptop and getting onto Mapquest.
~

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:37:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Verizon provided although they didn't really publicize it any more, as they were pushing their own (higher-priced) 144Kb "hi-speed" service

I use the Verizon 144kbps service at work.  It's extremely slow.  It takes about 20 minutes just to download cnn.com's main page.  It's just about useless except for e-mail.z
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:43:47 AM EDT
[#13]
You can do that?
I don't even have a cell phone...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:09:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I have an LG phone that is data capable. My DSL service has dialup lines,so I plug it into my laptop when I am travelling. I only use it in emergencies to check my email, because it is too slow for surfing. I never tested the speed on it, but it feels about the same as a bad dialup connection.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:19:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You can do that?
I don't even have a cell phone...

With many cellphones you can. Some cheaper ones, not.
You will need a data cable, or if the phone has bluetooth or IR, you can do it that way too (if you get the same adaptor for your computer, or if the computer already has that type).

Not all phones can do it.
And some of the upper-end phones (with IR or bluetooth) can do it right away, while others need drivers. A company named Curitel makes some general-purpose drivers that can run a lot of phones as modems, and the Curitel drivers can be found for free online.

I had an Audiovox CDM8910 that used a data cable ($12 bought online) and the Curitel drivers.
~
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:11:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes you can ..

you can "dial up" to your isp and you get the speeds you mention .. <VIA  something called CSD and yes its slow.. >

but.. there is another way  .. a better , faster way  .

you do it using the data side of your phone..

this side connects not thru a telephone number per say... but thru a GPRS connection .

the avg speeds for a GPRS conection is about 64k. ..   so your avg'ing home"dail up "speeds .. .. but it will work just about any where your phone works..

then there is phones with EDGE . basicly .. a faster version of GPRS. avg speeds with an EDGE connection  is between 100k and 120k  with faster bursts ... <rarely>

then there is the new 3G tech . avg speeds that i have seen are in the 1.2 mb range . and on a very consistant  basis .
downside to this tech is the footprint is small right now... but if your lucky enough to live  in a area that has it.. < DFW would be one.. >   then you are the envy of a lot of geeks out there  ...  

the avg cost for unlimited uasge should be in the 19.99  range..

This is coming from a Cingular Sales rep .  < me >

a while back i posted my drive from Dallas to Montarey Mexcio ...  i had a live webcam going the whole way ..

linky  its an archive link... so i think  only team members can see it..

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Just tested my Verizon E815 over bluetooth with my Powerbook, and got 617k down and 110 up.  Supposedly I get free data because I'm signed up for their v-cast bullshit.  We'll see when the bill comes.

Also, because Verizon is populated by a bunch of dickheads, you have to "hack" the phone to get dial-up networking to work.  The hack? Type ##dialup on the keypad as fast a you can.  No shit.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Just tested my Verizon E815 over bluetooth with my Powerbook, and got 617k down and 110 up.  Supposedly I get free data because I'm signed up for their v-cast bullshit.  We'll see when the bill comes.

Also, because Verizon is populated by a bunch of dickheads, you have to "hack" the phone to get dial-up networking to work.  The hack? Type ##dialup on the keypad as fast a you can.  No shit.

v-cast may have a megabyte limit. Be carefull not to over do it, as the charges can get vert expensive.

Why not just call verizon and ask them your limit?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:46:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Im about to call Alltel and get a code added to my phone so I can get 144K.  woooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:50:26 PM EDT
[#20]
EDGE with T-Mobile over my Nokia 6630 (good luck finding one of them, I'm special - ha ha) says it connects at 460, but I haven't done a download test.  EDGE is the enhanced GPRS.  Soon to come will be UMTS which is considerably faster.  BlackBerry is supposed to be sprouting a new EDGE-compatible model shortly as well....

Woody (yeah, I work for T-Mobile)
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:55:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
TAG!

I have a good friend that is a Sprint Representative, so I'm looking into getting that "hook up"

My last phone was Sprint, It was easy, but I only ever got normal dial-up speeds (4-5K)
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:59:26 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
TAG!

I have a good friend that is a Sprint Representative, so I'm looking into getting that "hook up"

Don't you mean SEXTEL?

Woody
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I enabled DUN on my E815 and am getting 140K speeds. No V-cast or mobile web. Just a little hocus pocus. Stay off EV and stay on 1X.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:32:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

v-cast may have a megabyte limit. Be carefull not to over do it, as the charges can get vert expensive.

Why not just call verizon and ask them your limit?

I had called them up to cancel the v-cat ($15 a month) and inquire about my data plan and the lady said that v-cast included unlimited data, including mobile web, so I kept it.  I don't really use it a lot, anyway.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:55:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I have used my RAZR for stuff in the airport when I can't get a high speed or wireless connnection.  Just uses minutes, as I dial into our company's VPN.  Works well.  I have Cingular if that makes any difference.  I have only tried using the USB cable, but want to try it using the bluetooth access one of these days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top