Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/5/2006 6:08:33 PM EDT
i know if you lie to cops you can get in trouble.  is there anything wrong illegal about cops lying to get information?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
i know if you lie to cops you can get in trouble.  is there anything wrong illegal about cops lying to get information?

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I would say it's situation dependent at best. Every day you see cops pretending to be someone else, to bust someone. I'd say lying is almost SOP, if the job requires it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#3]
They lie all the time.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#4]
They can, and do.  Ever seen on TV or heard the rumor that if asked a cop has to admit to being a cop?  Pure bullshit.  Do you know how many dead cops there would be if they couldn't lie about that? and that's just one example.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Lying is an investigative tool.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I was a cop and yes we can lie about anything...that is why you need a lawyer.  I can tell you your buddy just told me you did it and tell him you did the same if I want to..UH..OH wait...I did that
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#8]
are you kidding?,,,just ask one
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#9]
you think the cop knows how fast you were going when he pulls you over after he spotted you going the other way across a 20' unpaved median?

shit no, they just guess on the ticket
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#10]
They all lie, hell every other word is a lie that comes out of a cops mouth.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#11]
It is in their job description my friend.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:22:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:23:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Yes they can and do. Silly boy.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Yup, they can lie
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
They can, and do.  Ever seen on TV or heard the rumor that if asked a cop has to admit to being a cop?  Pure bullshit.  Do you know how many dead cops there would be if they couldn't lie about that? and that's just one example.

In response to youre signature...what does it take to join the Arfcom divorce club other than a divorec? I am readdy to...Should I ues the K word...my ex wife...see response to the poor slob who posted a message about his divorce. he
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
you think the cop knows how fast you were going when he pulls you over after he spotted you going the other way across a 20' unpaved median?

You are right.  The higher the angle betweeen the RADAR gun and target, the lower the speed will read on the RADAR.  That angle works to YOUR advantage.

A police Officer cannot lie when making an official report, issuing a summons, etc.

A LEO can lie as an investigative tool.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#17]
And you had to ask this seriously dumb question?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#18]
They get paid to lie.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#19]
"No your honor, why would I shoot thier shit-su?"
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#20]

I think you can lie to cops without a problem.

You jusat can't lie to federal cops.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Every one I've ever asked says it's illegal as hell to lie.<smirk>
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I had a Trooper tell me he had to do 160mph to catch me...He was driving a Crown Vic!

ETA: No I wasn't  running from him...but I was driving way over the limit.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#23]
"Then his wife threw her titties in my hand your Honor,   it was really weird."
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

You're potentially going to get someone in trouble.

Lying to any police officer can potentially get you arrested. It depends on what you are lying about.

Lie about your identity....go to jail

Lie about how many beers you drank or where you are going/coming from...no jail

Etc  Etc....Different States have different laws. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:41:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Every one I've ever asked says it's illegal as hell to lie.<smirk>

I've been known to use a ruse, though..
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#26]
can cops lie to you? of course they can and will.  no cop bashing her but sometimes the truth will be stretched pretty thin
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#27]
That's on par with"Can you make hamburgers from ground beef?"
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes, in fact, its encouraged.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:17:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Cops cannot lie in a report or in court.  Only defense lawyers and defense witnesses are allowed to lie in court.

Cops can lie during an interview to trick you into confessing to something you did.  Such as telling the suspect he was caught on survelliance tapes even when there are none.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:19:31 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Cops cannot lie in a report or in court.  Only defense lawyers and defense witnesses are allowed to lie in court.

Cops can lie during an interview to trick you into confessing to something you did.  Such as telling the suspect he was caught on survelliance tapes even when there are none.

Yep, and you wouldn't believe how many people get freaked out by that.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:20:31 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, and you wouldn't believe how many people get freaked out by that.

No kidding.  That shit pisses juries off like you wouldn't believe!  Its really stupid on the PO's side especially if they don't get a confession.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#33]
It depends.. They can't lie like "I have probable cause to search the vehicle, so can I get permission?" but they can lie when interrogating someone "your friend just said you did it, and he's singing like a canary, what do you have to say?"

It depends on the situation, but generally there is nothing illegal about lying.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

That all seems to fit.   But say in a sting or other undercover situation, can they lie about the law?  As in,  "Oh, Hell no, that's not illegal -- here, try it out"  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:12:20 PM EDT
[#35]
MARK FURMAN
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:17:32 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Cops cannot lie in a report or in court.

Yep, never happens. ROFLMAO
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

We do not lie. We willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#38]
are their lips moving?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#39]
No they cannot... (thats a lie)
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Since you are in Texas, you are wrong. You cannot lie to the police if it is during a criminal investigation. You do not have to talk to them but if you do, you cannot legally give false information.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

uhhhhh rrrright i guess sooo???? yes tech. is advanced enough to tell the officer how fast and how many feet away you were when you were caught speeding and with a laser it's just one cars speed, not the fastest one so there's no "well the other guy was going faster than i was" type of shit. if i stop you, i am certain of the speed and if they question my integrity then it all goes down hill for them from that point on on.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

BS  

All your post belong to us.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:03:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Also, no conversation with LE is casual, unless perhaps you know the cop well. They are always interrogating.

My stepmother was an interrogator for the Wisconsin Department of Health. Her job, 20 years ago, was to track backwards from one person with an STD all the way as far as she could, and get those people in for testing. She left when she started having to tell people that they were HIV Positive. The point of the story is, growing up, I could NOT get away with things. She notices the little cues, and she pushes until she gets the answers she is looking for. So I have a little bit of experience in the matter.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:09:35 PM EDT
[#44]
do bears shit in the woods?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#45]
There are no bigger liars, except for criminals of course.

I choose to stay out of either one of their games.

GM
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
MARK FURMAN

What about him? You mean, when he forgot that once 20 years previously he had used the N-word?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:45:06 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Since you are in Texas, you are wrong. You cannot lie to the police if it is during a criminal investigation. You do not have to talk to them but if you do, you cannot legally give false information.

No talk, no problem.

Who knows, maybe an innocent person has gone to jail for talking when they should have STFU.  It is an option.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:47:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Is Ted Kennedy gun shy? Can he swim? Does he drink? Did his mother own a black dress?

Don't lie to cops, just don't volunteer information. "I'm not trying to be a wise-guy, officer, but I'd like to consult a lawyer before answering questions."
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:56:31 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In response to youre signature...what does it take to join the Arfcom divorce club other than a divorec? I am readdy to...Should I ues the K word...my ex wife...see response to the poor slob who posted a message about his divorce.

Now I can't find the damn post on this guys divorec!

Just gotta be divorced or have been through a major break up.  To be an officer, you must have multiple divorces.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top