Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2006 4:17:30 PM EDT
Anyone know what I should do if I get shin splints? Should I keep on running, or should I take a short break from high-impact exercise, or what?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:19:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Anyone know what I should do if I get shin splints? Should I keep on running, or should I take a short break from high-impact exercise, or what?

You need to rest them.  They will get stronger with time but dont over do it or you will injure them and they will take a long time to heal.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:21:03 PM EDT
[#2]
man, i used to get those things  poor fitting shoes did it for me...
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
man, i used to get those things  poor fitting shoes did it for me...

Yup, you need good shoes and you need to stretch and warm those puppies up too.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:22:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Alieve is a good OTC med for it.  It is an anti-inflamatory drug that should help.

I had shin splints BAD when i was at Field Training.  I didnt want to wash out of the AF, so I sucked it up and ran through the pain, but that is NOT a good idea under normal operatiing conditions.  

Trying to "suck it up" can lead to worse injury like stress fractures in your leg bones, or possible muscle dammage.

take a whole week off.  then EASE back into running.

also, get a GOOD pair of running shoes.  running in basketball shoes or other shoes not designed for running can cause this problem
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:44:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Take vitamin I (buprofin).  Reduces swelling.  Stretch your shins before and after a run.  But, first, rest them and let them heal.  Get into mountain biking while you let them rest.  Once your running again, up your mileage slowly and stretch and ice and vitamin I.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#6]
another good cardio activity if you have the facilities available is swimming.  alot of people don't think about it, but a good swim will be just as effective as a run at getting your heart rate/breathing up
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:46:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the good info, everyone.

Swimming's not really my thing, I would probably do jump rope/squat thrusts.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Shin splints aka   exertional compartment syndrome is due to increased pressure in the anterior compartment of the lower leg. Due to excessive swelling of the muscle during exercise. Extra stretching and warm-up as well as cross training (cycling, swimming) are the first things to try. Shins splints/anterior medial lower leg pain is also where stress fractures occur. When it gets to the point of hurting even when walking you need to rule that out.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#9]
So you're saying that shin splints is a muscular condition rather than an orthopedic one?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to get them years ago.  A maraton runner told me to just keep running when it hurts. If you take a break and rest then they will never get better. Sure enough, I dont get shin splints anymore. Just run though the burning. Also, run like a duck walks if it hurts and try running backwards. Dont give up!

Also get some nice running shoes like Asics or Newbalance.  Do not get Nikes!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:02:23 PM EDT
[#11]
oh yea, the condition is because your calf muscle is stonger than your shin muscle so your shins get stessed too much.  You need to build up your shin musle (thats the musle in front of your leg between the knee and ankle )
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Ze anterior distal portion of the lower extremities?!?!?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I had horrible shin splints in high school basketball, and my coach to me to face the gym wall every day before practice and put my hands on the wall.

Step back as far as you can and try keeping your heels on the floor...do this slowly during warmups until you can get as far back as you can.  This helped me a boatload.

HH
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
...my coach to me to face the gym wall every day before practice and put my hands on the wall.

who was your coach? Michael Jackson?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:30:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Rest, ice, and stretching for a couple of weeks.  Ease back into exercise by swimming, cycling, or using the elliptical.  After another week or two of that, slowly build back into your running.

I came back to quickly - built up to an 18 mile long run in about 3 months after having splints so bad I had to get steroid treatments and wear a boot.  Got them in the other (left) leg.  I am up to about $400 in lost entry fees for races.  No more marathon attempts for at least a year and probably Olympic distance or less for tris for me for the same time for me.

Go to a reputable running store when you are ready to start back and ask their advice on shoes as well.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I just got done with this, a bad case, because I didn't know what was happening and I continued to run.  After a while I could barely walk.  Its taken 2 months to heal.  

Bill3508
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I played college football on turf.  Brutal on the shins. Sat in the ice tub everyday after practice for 4 years.  The tub would literally look like the arctic ocean with huge chunks of ice floating around and banging into our legs.  It was sort of a bonding experience. We would sit in there until we went numb everyday.

Went to OCS the Summers of my junior and senior years. Never had a problem with the shin splints. (Of course, this was ARMY OCS, and it was a fucking joke. Had I gone PLC and went to Quantico, I doubt I would have made it.)

Shin splints don't ever go away. I think they are genetic.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#18]
+1 on the wall-streching.  Back around 1980 when I was in high school track one treatment was the shave the legs and tape them up really tightly.  I never did it though.  Ice also helps a lot.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#19]
OK gents, here's the sure fire way to GET RID OF SHIN SPLINTS FOREVER!!!

This is the first exercise...
With your feet together, rock up on the balls of your feet, and pivot your heels to the left (or right). Come down and rock back on your heels, and then pivot the front of your feet to the left (or right). Come down, and repeat the first step. Do this motion until you've gone clear across whatever room you're in, and go back in the other direction. Do this 10 times across the room, each night. You can do it while you're watching TV.

This is the second exercise...
Lie on you back, stick your toes under the couch like you're gonna do a sit-up, and just try to lift up couch with the front of your foot. Do this for a half hour every night (again, you can do it while watching TV).

If you do this for a few weeks, the front of your shins will strengthen right up, and you'll never worry about shin splints again. I did this 10 years ago, foe about a month, and I've not been bothered with them since. It really works. Good luck fellas!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

lol, they do go away with proper training. See my post above.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:12:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
So you're saying that shin splints is a muscular condition rather than an orthopedic one?

Shin splints or "exertional compartment syndrome" and stress fractures are all orthopedic conditions which fall under the same group of complaints. Sometimes one mimics the other.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:16:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol, they do go away with proper training. See my post above.

it just FEELS like forever

they ARE very slow to heal, and very easy to re-injure during the healing process
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I had them the first time I went through the police academy back in 97.  Now I'm going through another dept's academy and the constant running has flared them back up again.  Although the instructor says they are not shin splints just sore muscles that aren't used to be used alot.  During defensive tactics training I was on my back and the instructor grabbed my legs on the inside of the lower shin to reposition my leg and I yelled out in pain it hurt so bad!  But it's just unused muscles right
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#24]
it take several weeks to heal

I recommend laying off the high impact excersizes for a few weeks, ride a bicycle or go for walks

it could take up to 8 weeks to heal

I only experienced it once because I used the wrong kind of shoes for running, never use court shoes or aerobics shoes for running
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top