Anyone know when they go bad and why?

Who's got a source of used ones?

Thanks
M4-AK
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:29:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#2]
It should be a Eaton. They are rebuildable, depending on what went wrong. But I have never really heard of one going TU.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:38:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:53:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Because it's attached to a FORD, that's why!

Fact: Most tow trucks are built on CHEVY chassis, not FORD chassis.  At least that's true in the area where I live.

That tells me all I need to know.  Fords may and do have better styling, but Chevys will get you home more often.

Fords with manual transmissions should be avoided like the plague.   The trannys break a LOT.

CJ

Well, thats interesting. I am in the towing business. I do not want to start a arguement, but I would research those statements. Our company uses International and Kenworth. The Ford trucks that are used as tow trucks are f550 and can be had with many different  deisel engines that are not built by Ford Including CAT, Cummins. And most use a DANA rearends.eta: Most small conventional wreckers are built on Ford chassis, Most Rollbacks are built on International 4300 cab and chassis.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:03:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Because it's attached to a FORD, that's why!

Fact: Most tow trucks are built on CHEVY chassis, not FORD chassis.  At least that's true in the area where I live.

That tells me all I need to know.  Fords may and do have better styling, but Chevys will get you home more often.

Fords with manual transmissions should be avoided like the plague.   The trannys break a LOT.

CJ

Don't be silly. Here they are built on Ford chassis'. Fords are tougher trucks--I have some experience driving Ford fleet trucks, and they are tough sumbitches.

FWIW, the Eaton blower on the Pontiac GP is the same design as the one on the Lightning, just smaller.

Failures of the Lightning blower: I have heard of them overheating and locking up, but only when aftermarket parts are involved. If they get hot enough, as with a phenolic spacer, it can happen. Otherwise they are just kind of an inefficient blower. I wish Ford had paid a little extra for parts and used a twin screw, but the roots is OK. You lose power as you drive, because they heat up.

I'm selling my Lightning, BTW. Driving a Ranger now cause of the Spokane winters.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#6]
i'm not a ford fan. but i looked seriously at the lightning at one time. i liked the way it looked. and it is somewhat small (although it is pretty heavy). one of the main issues for me was you couldna get it with a straight-shift.

was sorry to see it go outa production. i guess they might replace it some day. but i bet its a great big monster like the dodge thing with they viper motor and six speed.

my guess is if you have one and take care of it it will go up in value eventually.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i'm not a ford fan. but i looked seriously at the lightning at one time. i liked the way it looked. and it is somewhat small (although it is pretty heavy). one of the main issues for me was you couldna get it with a straight-shift.

was sorry to see it go outa production. i guess they might replace it some day. but i bet its a great big monster like the dodge thing with they viper motor and six speed.

my guess is if you have one and take care of it it will go up in value eventually.

They've got a new truck, at least in concept. There was a thread on it here the other day. Looked like a bad ass truck, for a Ford.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They've got a new truck, at least in concept. There was a thread on it here the other day. Looked like a bad ass truck, for a Ford.

That was a Saleen modified F-150, not something from the SVT guys.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#9]
If the blower needs to be re-built or replaced, look into the Kenne-Bell as a replacement. With no increase in boost its a 90hp increase. It takes less power to turn than the Eaton, and heats the intake charge less with means more timing, which is HP.

They are much more expensive than an Eaton and were actually designed for pressurizing airplane cabins and refridgeation units.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Ebay usually has a few used CHEAP.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:21:16 AM EDT
[#11]
What would cause an otherwise good performing Lightning to shudder violently when under load. Recent changes were an overdrive pulley and a reprogrammer. Drove fine for a while.

Any lightning experts?
M4-AK
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:27:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I dont know why anyone, Ford, GM included would still be using Roots blowers.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:29:06 AM EDT
[#13]
F150 Online
Everything you wanted to know about Fords, and some things you didnt. Check the forums, they have a dedicated Lightning section.

From my experience, at the end of the day there aint much difference between a Ford and a Chevy. The two deciding points for me are that Ford has better styling and Chevy has better seats. I drive Fords, but everytime I sit in a Chevy my ass likes it a bit more. Good seats in those Chevy's, I wish Ford would update their assholders.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:49:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was a Saleen modified F-150, not something from the SVT guys.

The new Lightning was shelved.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:08:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I dont know why anyone, Ford, GM included would still be using Roots blowers.

Lysholm literally CANNOT produce enough twin screw blowers to meet demand. Ford tried to put a Whiple blower on the new Cobra, and they had to buy Eaton because of supply issues.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I've searched the forums, but it doesn't seem like anyone else has supercharger problems. Maybe it's fuel/ignition deficiencies. Perhaps should change the programming and pulley back to stock and test it.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Go back to stock and let us know what happens.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
What would cause an otherwise good performing Lightning to shudder violently when under load. Recent changes were an overdrive pulley and a reprogrammer. Drove fine for a while.

Any lightning experts?
M4-AK

Detonation. BAD shit. Low RPMs under load, right? Get spark plugs that are two ranges colder and have your program checked by someone who knows his way around a blown modular engine.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Are you sure its motor? The trannys are known to have issues.

Also go to www.troyerperformance.com

get the number and call talk to Mike, he has a lot of time around them.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:17:09 AM EDT
[#20]
So the consensus is that the superchargers are fairly bulletproof, but that other issues may be involved?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:55:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
So the consensus is that the superchargers are fairly bulletproof, but that other issues may be involved?

Yeah, it is a tough blower. You'll bust the shit out of your rods before anything else breaks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top