Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2006 11:37:25 AM EDT
Okay, I'm stumped.

I reformatted my computer.

I reintalled Itunes but of course my music (and playlists) are on my Ipod mini.

HOW DO I IMPORT MY SONGS FROM THE IPOD TO ITUNES ON THE COMPUTER????

I FUCKING HATE ITUNES.

that is all, thanks.

-Fidel
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#1]
You need to download a 3rd party application like "ehpod" to retrieve the mp3's off of your iPod.

iTunes will not do it.

-Niel
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:39:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think you can. Could be wrong though.

Best bet would have been to burn your collection to DVD, then reinstall.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#3]
www.apple.com/support/itunes/musicstore/backup/

There are 3rd party applications I believe to copy music back from an iPod to a computer.  Apple does not support this functionality so that iPods are not used to copy entire libraries of music from computer to computer.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#4]
That makes me somewhat homicidally angry.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I am playing with Anapod Explorer right now. It would work, I am fairly sure. I shararzaed it.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:43:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

It's Apple, what did you expect?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh well fuckem.  I got ephpod downloading TO PLAY ALL MY STOLEN MUSIC!  

HEAR THAT APPLE.  MY STOLEN MUSIC!!!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:46:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

thank the copyright zealots for crippling even more software
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#9]
[lippo]
HEAR THAT FIDEL. MY STOLEN AVATAR!!!!
[/lippo]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:49:10 AM EDT
[#10]
And thats why I dont pay for it to start with
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry, I looked around for that avator here and never saw it.

-Fidel
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:07:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I am playing with Anapod Explorer right now. It would work, I am fairly sure. I shararzaed it.

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Trying ephpod right now...

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#13]
A lot of early-enthusiasts got BURNED and lost their collections of iTunes "licenses" early-on when this happened (since they insist that you don't pay for a copy of the music, only a license to play the music that they own).

For whatever reason, their computer gagged and iTunes crashed and lost its license file, even though all the songs were still saved on the (separate) iPod. If you just hook up the iPod and sync it, iTunes will erase all the music on it--and Apple won't let you re-download the same songs for free again. They'll just tell you to pay for it all again.

You will have to find third-party (illegal, according to Apple) programs to save off the music that is still on the iPod. iTunes wil not do it--Apple refuses to put that feature in.

Don't pay for music--download it for free. The ONLY reason for having DRM is to be able to re-charge you for using the same thing over and over.

Remember the DivX disk players!
~
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I strongly recommend Senuti.

It saved my entire collection when my computer died and all I had was my iPod. Only one track out of 3,000+ was lost.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#15]
tag to show fbi    
i absolutly HATE itunes.   i have installed itunes on acouple systems.   it ended up screwing up the computer i had to do a fresh install.     you won't catch me willingly installing that crap on my system
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:28:34 AM EDT
[#16]
If you buy music from the iTunes store, burn it to disk as an audio file, and then reimport it. It removes the DRM from the file, and is completly legal.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:45:28 AM EDT
[#17]
On my roommates I was able to browse to the music directory of the Ipod like it was a removable HD, and just copy the whole directory and then import into my Itunes.  The only problem I had is the filenames are all screwey, Itunes sees them 100% fine though.

*edit* Is there something like Senuti for the PC, I tried Ephod and didn't like it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#18]
I despise iTunes. It is the reason my Nano (a gifit) is virtually unused and my 2 years-old iRiver is my regular music player.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:03:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Well, just for a change of pace, I enjoy iTunes and love my iPod
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:12:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:20:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Well, just for a change of pace, I enjoy iTunes and love my iPod

Me too.

I don't use AAC format, the iTunes music store or let iTunes manage my library though.

I maintain an organized file system of MP3 files and back them up to an external HDD regularly.  It may cost me a little convenience, and it may cost me a little in file size, but if I lose my computer, I won't lose ANY music.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:22:50 AM EDT
[#22]
I can't wait for the new Micro$oft OS to come out with its DRM scheme... You guys will be hanging yourselves.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:23:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
On my roommates I was able to browse to the music directory of the Ipod like it was a removable HD, and just copy the whole directory and then import into my Itunes.  The only problem I had is the filenames are all screwey, Itunes sees them 100% fine though.

*edit* Is there something like Senuti for the PC, I tried Ephod and didn't like it.

I wish I could just skip Itunes and access the damned thing like it was a removable hard drive...that is what the thing is basically.

I am sure their is plenty of decent software out their to take out the DRM bullshit...

Other than that, I love this little thing...The reason I bought an Ipod is to have the ability to hook into a compatible car stereo...most manufacturers now have Ipod compatible radios out now.,..
With an Ipod compatible radio, you plug the Ipod in, and stick it in the glovebox...you run the thing from the head unit. The head unit even charges the thing...

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:33:43 AM EDT
[#24]
tag
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:35:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I can't wait for the new Micro$oft OS to come out with its DRM scheme... You guys will be hanging yourselves.

/not worried

What are they going to do?  Erase all my MP3s?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#26]
I hate iTunes.  

I have tried Ephpod, it works OK but really buggy.  

I've heard it can make you have to re-format the IPOD sometimes and other times the program just stops working.

I use Anapod now, very slick and easy to use.  Drag-and-drop like a removable drive.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:19:23 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish I could just skip Itunes and access the damned thing like it was a removable hard drive...that is what the thing is basically.

I am sure their is plenty of decent software out their to take out the DRM bullshit...

Other than that, I love this little thing...The reason I bought an Ipod is to have the ability to hook into a compatible car stereo...most manufacturers now have Ipod compatible radios out now.,..
With an Ipod compatible radio, you plug the Ipod in, and stick it in the glovebox...you run the thing from the head unit. The head unit even charges the thing...

Why can't you just enable disk use and then copy all of the songs from the ipod to your hard drive?  You just have to enable the "view hidden files and folders" option in Windows explorer and like someone said before, the file names will be nonsense, but Itunes will read them.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:27:09 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

/not worried

Not that I know of, but IIRC Wired has had articles on the DRM in the next MS OS... People don't seem too happy about it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why can't you just enable disk use and then copy all of the songs from the ipod to your hard drive?  You just have to enable the "view hidden files and folders" option in Windows explorer and like someone said before, the file names will be nonsense, but Itunes will read them.

Cool..just tried it..works like a little hard drive..

The problem is the Ipod will not access the files...

It looks  they need to be coded on a database file in order for the Ipod to "know" of their existance..

Oh well..I tunes works well for me so far...no complaint as I am using standard MP3's...

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

/not worried

Not that I know of, but IIRC Wired has had articles on the DRM in the next MS OS... People don't seem too happy about it.

Just how many people do you think would upgrade their OS to one that would lock their files.  Thats right, no one(well, there are morons).  Have fun M$.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

/not worried

Just how many people do you think would upgrade their OS to one that would lock their files.  Thats right, no one(well, there are morons).  Have fun M$.

WTF?

I thought this had to do with High Def DVD..something I could give a shit less about...

Explain please..

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

/not worried

Anyone buying a new PC for starters...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

DRM protected music never bothered me. The fact that there is sound coming out of my speakers means that at some point, the signal is analog. That's all I'm going to say about that.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:29:34 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

/not worried

Anyone buying a new PC for starters...

Buy/erase/install WinXP?

Build your own?

MS has nothing to gain by ruining MP3 usage.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:30:29 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DRM protected music never bothered me. The fact that there is sound coming out of my speakers means that at some point, the signal is analog. That's all I'm going to say about that.

Analog should be BANNED!

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:46:36 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Really ???

You store your music on a hard drive.
You don't have a backup.
You reformat the drive - blowing away your music.

And its Itunes fault ?!?!?!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#37]
"Why Windows Vista will Suck"

Written by a penguinhead, but he has some points...

www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT8288296398.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top