Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 10:23:17 AM EDT

Two families - one white and one black - come together under one roof in Los Angeles as they prepare to go out in the world as the other race. The Wurgels (Bruno, Carmen, and daughter Rose) are a white liberal family from Santa Monica, CA, and the Sparks (Brian, Renee, and son Nick) are a middle class black family from Atlanta, GA.

What's it like to live in someone else's skin? That question will be answered in March with "Black. White.", a six-part documentary from Emmy� Award winning producer R.J. Cutler and actor/producer/writer Ice Cube.
Black. White. examines race with an extraordinary approach by putting new faces on an African-American family, the Sparks, and Caucasian family, the Wurgels. Through the transformative power of make-up by Academy Award� nominated make-up effects artist Keith VanderLaan (The Passion of the Christ), the Wurgels become black and the Sparks become white, which challenges their beliefs and core values in ways they could have never imagined. The make-up process for each family member took 3 to 5 hours for every day of transformation.
In addition to the pressure of their newly assumed race, the Sparks of Atlanta (Brian, Renee and their son Nick) and Wurgel family of Santa Monica (Bruno, Carmen and their daughter Rose) shared a home in Tarzana, California for the duration of the six-week production, which wrapped last summer.

tv.yahoo.com/feature/blackwhite.html

I swear that only Dave Chapelle could come up with something like this!

I'll be watching....

[Insert popcorn smiley]

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#1]
If you see the people who "traded" races in the previews and can't tell that they used to be white or black you're dumber than a car battery.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:29:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If you see the people who "traded" races in the previews and can't tell that they used to be white or black you're dumber than a car battery.

+1
The makeup job is so obvious, you have to wonder whether the whole thing is staged.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:31:11 AM EDT
[#3]
"Hi, everyone, I'm Lyle, and today we're looking for GREAT New York Boobs"
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:34:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
us.tv1.yimg.com/tv.yahoo.com/images/he/photo/tv_pix/fx/black__white__photos/briansparks2.jpg

they went from black to hispanic? wtf?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If Chapelle made it it might actually be worth watching because he would show it as the ridiculous (and absolutely racist) concept that it is.

Been seeing previews for this show for what seems like at least 6 months... is it actually starting finally?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:35:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:25:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
honestly, the only thing this show is going to accomplish is further driving a wedge between racial relations by the idiots that enjoy reality TV.

i fully expect the show to portray negative aspects of the white family and exagerate "opression" in the black family.

pure mindless drivel. nothing more.

jmho

mike

I agree but, it will be entertaining...

Quoted:
us.tv1.yimg.com/tv.yahoo.com/images/he/photo/tv_pix/fx/black__white__photos/briansparks2.jpg

+1

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If Chapelle made it it might actually be worth watching because he would show it as the ridiculous (and absolutely racist) concept that it is.

Been seeing previews for this show for what seems like at least 6 months... is it actually starting finally?

If were lucky, he'll come back to Comedy Central and do a skit on it...
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:50:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The Dark Conspiracy will not allow it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:57:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Dark Conspiracy will not allow it.

I didn't have time to read through some big conspiracy theory...

Why don't you listen to what the man said and take his word for it?

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#11]
"Let's see how we can further deomize a liberal faamily who already has nothing to stand up for in the world. I bet we can make the whole country hate them."
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:06:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
honestly, the only thing this show is going to accomplish is further driving a wedge between racial relations by the idiots that enjoy reality TV.

i fully expect the show to portray negative aspects of the white family and exagerate "opression" in the black family.

pure mindless drivel. nothing more.

jmho

mike

+11ebenty billion.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Eddie Murphy did it better on SNL.

snltranscripts.jt.org/84/84iwhitelikeeddie.phtml
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:39:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Eddie Murphy did it better on SNL.
snltranscripts.jt.org/84/84iwhitelikeeddie.phtml

"What a silly Negro!"

Yeah... the people they chose... laughable. The white chic with the pointy noise and small lips... or the black guy with the large nostrils... who's gonna believe that crap.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:07:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Why don't you listen to what the man said and take his word for it?

It's sarcasm, kid.

Learn it. Love it. Live it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:18:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I am very, very, very tired of "reality TV".  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:21:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I am very, very, very tired of "reality TV".  

Me too.

"Thief" on the same channel looks very promising though.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
"Thief" on the same channel looks very promising though.

Hell yes! I can't wait.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:59:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

So, just like every other TV show that has both whites and blacks in the cast.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:22:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Yikes.  I found some more pictures of one of the families.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#21]
All I want to know is why does black come before white in the title, and why isn't the intro music country?  

It's the black man trying to opress the white man, thats why!  Sing along:  We shall overcome!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:29:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Yikes.  I found some more pictures of one of the families.

i45.photobucket.com/albums/f71/stoneyrawr/e957699c.jpg

i45.photobucket.com/albums/f71/stoneyrawr/c9b9211b.jpg

i45.photobucket.com/albums/f71/stoneyrawr/3c0ec94b.jpg

Now they just look Arab.  So we got blacks becoming hispanic, and whites becoming Arab?  wtf!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:31:23 PM EDT
[#23]
If by interesting you mean stupid and pointless then I agree.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:35:14 PM EDT
[#24]
The black wife, made to look white is the worst by far, she looks like some creepy puppet from the movie "Dark Crystal"
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:45:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I am so damn sick of those commercials...
And that white guy looks like he found a case of ManTan and "got jiggy widdit"

Hell, Al Jolson looks more realistic than he does

Season Finale Spoiler:
The "Black dude turned white" joins the KKK and has to burn a cross in the front yard of the "White guy turned Black".

And the "Black gurl turned white" finally gets to date a real black guy.

"White gurl turned black" gained 300 lbs , gets pregnant and moves into the projects.

"White boy turned black" .....remains ghey.

"White lady turned black" gets busted on "COPS" as a suspected shoplifter in Macy's store.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:54:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
All I want to know is why does black come before white in the title, and why isn't the intro music country?  

It's the black man trying to opress the white man, thats why!  Sing along:  We shall overcome!

Not making excuses for the show, but black first could be because film (video and print media) is always refered to as black and white in that order.  Perhaps it just seemed to flow better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top