Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2006 9:50:50 AM EDT
OK, I'm writing a paper for one of my classes and it has to be written in APA style. I have a book on how to write in APA style but it doesn't say anything about using pictures in the paper. Does anyone know whether or not I can put pictures in my paper in APA style?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:09:19 AM EDT
[#1]
What is the paper on?  I have seen "figures" such as graphs in APA papers.  I don't know if pictures will work though.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe you may put pictures if and only if:

-you give attribution

-they are appropriate for your topic

AND

-they are used to provide additional information.

I could be wrong, though.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#3]
convert it to ASII art.

eta: e-mail the professor - you may get lucky and get a response before monday (i assume it's due then).
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I would try and refrain from putting ANY pictures in any papers you write in school/college
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:22:14 AM EDT
[#5]
It's up to the instructor. Sometimes they are placed in an appendix, other insturctors want them on a seperate page following the first mention of it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#6]
The paper is for a Criminalistics class. I'm writing on firearms and have some great pics, but I don't know if Ii'm allowed to put them in the paper.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#7]
If you are asking about HOW to put it into a paper, then treat is just as you would treat it as a Figure.

In other words, in the manuscript you'd put

---------------------------------
Insert Figure X about here
---------------------------------

into the text, and then have the photo on a separate page at the end with the heading "Figure X" and the appropriate title.

(unless of course your instructor wants you to insert it directly into the text, in which case you'd still treat it just like a figure.

This advice is based on the APA style guide (i.e. the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association - section 3.77 and 3.82).  My copy is the 4th edition.  There may be a newer edition out, but I have no reason to believe that it would have changed.

If you are asking about the legal way to cite it, I'm sure you'll be fine as long as you cite a source for where it came from - after all, it is jsut a paper for class, not something you are publishing for profit or public dissemination.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#8]
www.apastyle.org/elecref.html

For graphics and shit I usually just give credit in a tiny font below the graphic. I've never been docked points for doing it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top