Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/4/2006 8:40:15 PM EDT
The thread about "checking the perimeter" made me think of this.

If you are home during the day, or if you are home on a weekend... do you lock the doors during the day?

I can see locking them at night & when you leave, no questions there, but what about a lazy saturday afternoon?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:41:17 PM EDT
[#1]

I do, but I know that lots of my neighbors do not.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:41:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I lock mine all the time.  Whether we're home or not.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#4]
the only time they're unlocked is when I'm about to go through them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:43:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The thread about "checking the perimeter" made me think of this.

If you are home during the day, or if you are home on a weekend... do you lock the doors during the day?

I can see locking them at night & when you leave, no questions there, but what about a lazy saturday afternoon?

Yep.

I never understood the 'nothing happens here' mentality that some people express.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#6]
yepper...  locked at all times unless it's an unspeakably beautiful day, and we've got the whole house fan on...  seeing as how this is Texas, that happens about 10 days out of the year...  otherwise, it's too hot.

back on topic: too many crazies out there - they're getting bolder...  my doors stay locked.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I usually do when I'm home alone (which is most of the time). My computer is on the second floor in the back of the house, so if somebody opened the door downstairs, I probably wouldn't know till they were right behind me
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1

I had to instill this behavior into the rest of my family.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Used to be half-n-half, but ever since the Louisianan's invasion over here, locked almost all the time.

HH
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:48:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1 No reason to leave them unlocked.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:51:05 PM EDT
[#11]
My doors are always locked.

I don't understand the guys who think they are ready for war when they leave the house, but take their gun off and leave the doors open when they get home. Sure, no one's ever been killed in their own house.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:51:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Gotta keep teh zombies out.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#13]
No, I leave my front door unlocked. I like to encourage intruders to come in and have some lead.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:53:21 PM EDT
[#15]
all day every day.

my room mates are not as vigilant about it as i am.  i keep saying that if my shit gets stolen because of their negligence, i am writing them a bill
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#16]
no, I don't lock my doors when I'm at home.  Or when I'm asleep, call me stupid but I think its a hassle to lock them while I'm there.  And plus, if some asshole wants to break in my house or try to rob me, I allways have a firearm close enough to give them hell.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:55:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Having a wife and kids, it is always locked. If the kids go out back to play, dogs go out with them. Kids playing out front, I am there with them.

The world ain't the same as when I grew up and not worth taking chances.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:56:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
no, I don't lock my doors when I'm at home.  Or when I'm asleep, call me stupid but I think its a hassle to lock them while I'm there.  And plus, if some asshole wants to break in my house or try to rob me, I allways have a firearm close enough to give them hell.  

CoC question: Is it alright to call a member stupid if he asks to be called stupid?

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:56:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
No, I leave my front door unlocked. I like to encourage intruders to come in and have some lead.

Does that go with tea and crumpets?

HH
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:56:14 PM EDT
[#21]
No. If I'm ome the door is unlocked.

But then I live in a small apartment in a town of nearly 7000. A bigger place in a larger town, maybe.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:57:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Mine are always locked.

However My Folks House wasnt and here is what happened

Let me set up last months Situation.
My parents house is almost Identical to the Neighbors house.  
Brick, beautiful, 1940's house.

A Man walks in the back door and heads downstair with a case a beer.
My sister comes down and sees him sitting there half drunk.
SHes like..   who are you and what are you doing here.

The man said Where is JD at.  Im here to see JD.  Who are you.

Lindsee responds There is no JD Here.

He replies.. well you wanna beer.

My sister says no of course and says that he needs to leave.

He stumbles up to the door and says.. Where the hell is John David (our Neighbor)

She points him in the right direction and he again offers a beer.

Needless to say.
She now keeps the doors locked.
That coulda been alot worse.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:58:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
No. If I'm ome the door is unlocked.

But then I live in a small apartment in a town of nearly 7000. A bigger place in a larger town, maybe.

Most home robberies are crimes of opportunity.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:59:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does that go with tea and crumpets?

HH

No, just the lead and maybe a powder burn.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:01:11 PM EDT
[#25]
locked always
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn, you guys don't taking teh walking dead that seriously do, you?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I see keeping the doors to my house locked the same as keeping my car doors locked, not only when I am away from it, but when I am driving as well. Sure, I could still get carjacked same as getting robbed when at home, but I'd rather not invite criminal activity.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:10:46 PM EDT
[#28]
the people that don't lock there doors just haven't had something bad happen to them yet.  It might not ever happen to them, but in this day and age i think there is a good chance something bad will happen over their lifetime due to unlocked doors.

i do stuff in my basement at all times of the day, and because of that and other reasons, my door is always locked.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:15:04 PM EDT
[#29]
We used to not keep our apartment door locked when we were in.

Then one day, my roommate (who lives in the living room) heard the door open... the door opened about halfway, and once the intruder realized someone was there, he slammed the door and bolted. We chased after him but never did catch him or see him.

From that day on, we kept our door locked at all times. I kept my Garand out for the next two weeks in case he came back, but he never did.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:16:20 PM EDT
[#30]
i don't consider myself "paranoid" at all, but i do have a healthy concern for security.  as such, my house is a friggin' fortress and is on lock down at all times.  my office is on the third floor and i don't like surprises.  if someone wanted in badly enough, i'm sure they could do it --but if they were that persistent, i would choose my weaponry accordingly.  that is if the dog hasn't already left bodies strewn around on my entry hall floor.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Walk in a door, lock it.  Walk out a door, lock it.

It's not paranoia, it's just plain good sense.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:20:38 PM EDT
[#32]
nope it is 1:20 am and my front door is standing wide up and the screen door is unlocked.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:24:17 PM EDT
[#33]
i walk into my house and shout "IN BEFORE THE LOCK!" then i lock the door.

i'm on ARFCOM waaaaaay too much
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:27:54 PM EDT
[#34]
I lock everything. The only place I wouldn't lock everything is in the boonies.  I don't mean the midwest or eastern boonies, I mean western 2 day walk from nowhere boonies.  

Aaannnddd.  I should be getting a fresh order of tinfoil in any day now...  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
i walk into my house and shout "IN BEFORE THE LOCK!" then i lock the door.

i'm on ARFCOM waaaaaay too much

Yes, yes you are.  So make it so you're not.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:32:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Tis locked always.

An open door is a hallway
A closed, but unlocked door, is a hard to see hallway.
A locked door is a door.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:34:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I had to instill this behavior into the rest of my family.

Same here.  Took the wife a year or so of living with me before it became habit.  My kids have never known any different.

It drives my friends and family crazy though.  Everytime they come to visit and are about to leave, they pull on the door, turn the dead bolt back and forth a few times before they finally give up and step aside for the kingdom commander to unlock and let them out.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:34:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#39]
My door is always locked,some people i do not like seem to think they can knock and enter.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
My door is always locked,some people i do not like seem to think they can knock and enter.

Ex-wife...right?  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:46:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Doors are always locked. Ever since I was 19 and some crazy mortician ran in my house and tried to tie me up with zip ties. At night I lock my bedroom door as well. I figure the noise of coming through it will wake me and provide enough time to grab a light and a gun.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:06:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Mine are always locked, if im home or not
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:50:23 AM EDT
[#43]

Front door is always locked (never use it).

Having said that, I usually leave the back door unlocked in the daytime when I'm home. (unless in the shower or sleeping, work nights.)

I live in a rural setting, my house sits a good way from the road in the middle of 3 acres. It's hard for anyone to get close to the house(much less the back door) without the 100lb doggie noticing.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:54:30 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

+1 to this.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:05:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Always locked.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:11:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Front door is always locked. I'm not even sure it actually opens. I'd have to move a pile of books and
magazines to even try.

Back door is locked at night, or when I'm... indisposed.

By way of explanation, I live out in the country. 30 minutes from any real city, 20 minutes from the
nearest town. To get to my back door requires going past AT LEAST two motion sensors that will
let me know you're there. If you make it to the back door, I've heard you approach and can watch
you on closed circuit TV. There are firearms with easy access that can be had LONG before you make
it to the door.

That's not even mentioning my neighbors. Neighborhood watch doesn't just WATCH. There were a
couple of peeping tom's some years back that were chased by most of the neighborhood. It's nice
having like-minded neighbors...

Sam
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:14:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Only lock them at night.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:16:09 AM EDT
[#48]
wife keps the front locked up up tight 24/7,unless I come through the door, then it may stay unsecured depending on the time of day. Same with the garage, if I'm in and out and not settling down for the eve I tend to leave things open.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:20:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Always locked.

We almost never use the doors, entering and leaving through the garage door.

My parents still haven't learned, they leave doors unlocked and garage doors open when they are at home.
Lost a very nice Weatherby rifle and lots of tools that way and they still don't lock up.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:23:59 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Same here.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top