Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2006 5:20:44 PM EDT
I wanted to get together a list of gun/outdoors related places to visit.  Between the membership here we could probably come up with a great list.  I'll start with two that everyone probably knows, Springfield Armory and the NRA Museum.  I'll also add one on from my home state, the Rock Island Arsenal Museum.  The members of my HTF told me about this one and I plan to visit at the end of this month.

From the site:The mission of the National Firearms Museum is to develop and manage educational programs that promote appreciation, understanding, and participation in gun collecting, and the preservation of the heritage of firearms through collection, conservation, exhibition and research as part of a nationally recognized museum in America.

NRA Museum

From the site: Reopened in 1978 as the Springfield Armory National Historic Site, the original 1840’s arsenal houses the world’s largest collection of American military firearms. Year-round public programs, exhibits, and special events are hosted on the grounds of the National Historic Landmark.

Springfield Armory

From the site:The Rock Island Arsenal Museum was established on July 4, 1905.  We are the second oldest US Army Museum in the United States.   Our primary mission is to preserve and display the history of Rock Island Arsenal and Arsenal Island.  Our secondary mission is to preserve and display the history of small arms development.

Rock Island Arsenal Museum
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Make sure to check out the Winchester Firearms Museum in Cody, Wyoming as well.

Gen. Pattons M1 is there, nuff said.

Awesome place in an awesome place.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:24:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Camp Perry and the CMP North Store.  Port Clinton, Ohio.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Ordnance Museum at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds

ordmusfound.org/

They've got a couple of acres of tanks and guns, and inside the building there are a lot of small arms and other exhibits.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:42:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Any more?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:53:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Make sure to check out the Winchester Firearms Museum in Cody, Wyoming as well.

Gen. Pattons M1 is there, nuff said.

Awesome place in an awesome place.

I don't think that it's the Winchester Museum there in Cody,but it's UNFREAKIN' BELIEVABLE. Buses of German tourists,REAL gun enthusiasts there. I told the wife we'd stop in for an hour or two,when they first opened.They had to push us out at closing time!Actaully,there are 3 or 4 museums there in one complex.
If you're in that locale,hit the Museum of the Mountain Man in Pinedale,WY.Great stuff.And the Museum of Barbed Wire is in the basement.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:06:01 AM EDT
[#6]
NRA Whittington Center in Raton, NM.    www.nrawc.org/
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:19:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Any Cabelas retail location

I got about 2 hours entertainment out of Springfield Armory in MA, but I got about 3 hours plus lunch at Cabelas in Hamburg, PA. Go figure.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:26:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:30:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Patton Museum, Fort Knox Kentucky.  www.generalpatton.org/
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:56:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Gettysburg, PA. Plan on 3 days if you've never been there. There's even an outlet mall for the Mrs.

Free bump for a good thread.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#11]
National Infantry Museum at Fort Benning, GA

www.infantry.army.mil/museum/
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#12]
2 i can think of which are excellent in central texas

metzger-sanders gun collection on the 3d floor of the memorial student center at texas a&m university

the red mccombs collection in the student center at southwestern university in georgetown, texas.  

both easy to get to and very, very interesting....
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:38:52 AM EDT
[#13]
See every original John Browning creation in Ogden, Utah at The Union Station Browning Firearms Display.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:42:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#15]
How could anybody forget the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody Wyoming??? The BBHC has The Cody Firearms Museum houses the most comprehensive assemblage of American firearms in the world. The Winchester Collection, the heart of this museum, was transported from New Haven, Connecticut to Cody in 1976. Dedicated in 1991, the Cody Firearms Museum provides an expansive permanent home for the collection.

Don't expect to see only Winchester-made arms here; virtually every significant manufacturer in the world is represented. Within the exhibits, visitors are able to trace the evolution of modern firearms technology from its earliest days through today's outstanding variations.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:05:27 AM EDT
[#16]
If you ever travel through Orinda, CA there is a restaurant there called Casa Orinda that has an antique pistol collection on the walls.  Many nice and unusual pieces.  Lots of old western art and things throughout as well.  The food is okay too.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#17]
If you ever happen to be stuck in the upper half of Minnesota with nothing to do, Camp Ripley's museum actually has a surprisingly all-inclusive gun room.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Watching this thread because I have to fly to Chicago to drive my girlfriend back to AZ. We are taking our time in driving back and plan to visit things on the trip.

JM Davis in Claremore, OK is so tagged. As well as the Field Museum to visit the lions from "The Ghost and the Darkness." Not sure if we can make the trip to Rock Island or not. We have to go back to Ohio to see my father.

But, I am making the list and the girlfriend is into firearms. Yipee for me.

Let's hear those ideas, guys.

Oh, my contribution.

A military museum around the border of AZ/CA along I-10. Don't remember the name.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#19]
The Ordnance museums at Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD,  and Eglin AFB, FL.

Impact Arms, Ogden, UT.

Ben Avery range in AZ.

Knob Creek, KY.

I'll think of more.....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top