Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2006 1:02:02 PM EDT
The headphones they give you are pretty cheap. Does anyone have any advice on a better set of earbuds? This thing also scratches like crazy, what about screen protectors and cases?
  They have alot of accessories on Ebay, but I cant tell if it is junk or decent stuff.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I have Etymotic ER6i's, I've tried Ultimate Ears' Super-fi 5 EB's and will probably be getting a set in the near future, maybe will get the Pro's

(SF5's are dual-driver, one low and one high, so the bass is miles ahead of single-driven buds, important if you like music with bass! The cheapest set with dual drivers from another top-tier brand is from Shure for around $500, and the UE's are half that. The ER6i's are OK on bass, it's very clear but it's a bit low. ER6's are slightly lower on the bass, but I liked them because they're black and the internals are machined metal versus plastic on every other earbud (including ER6i). The Shure's are too high on the midrange for my liking (I had the E3's for one day, they fell once and the left driver cut out, I returned them and went back to Ety's)).

I have cheaper headphones (stock ipod and creative phones, Koss Plug's), and they all suck compared to a quality set. Only issue is that you then need to get all your music in higher bitrate because you can hear so much more of the music and you can hear the difference below 192kbps, complex sounds (such as heavily mixed music) sound terrible below 128.

I got an NCase leather belt unit for it (the kind that flips away from you, so you don't take it off your belt to access it), Belkin is good too.

Edit: BTW, this should be posted in hometown, people who don't ride the subway every day just won't get it
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:43:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Still using the standard earphones, since on a crowded bus/subway/airplane, you won't notice the difference in sound quality between them and a high end set of earphones (I hate headphones)

As for cases, I use the standard bag that Oakley ships with their sunglasses. Fit's like a skin, allows me to adjust volume without taking it out of the bag, and best of all, it didn't cost me a dime.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:46:53 PM EDT
[#3]
These guys make good cases:

www.speckproducts.com/

I have Sony Fontopia headphones which are good for the $50 retail price but great at $30:

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00030CHRQ/sr=8-3/qid=1141512172/ref=pd_bbs_3/002-4214178-7841669?%5Fencoding=UTF8
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:48:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:51:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Still using the standard earphones, since on a crowded bus/subway/airplane, you won't notice the difference in sound quality between them and a high end set of earphones (I hate headphones)

As for cases, I use the standard bag that Oakley ships with their sunglasses. Fit's like a skin, allows me to adjust volume without taking it out of the bag, and best of all, it didn't cost me a dime.

That's the thing, high-end sets have excellent noise cancellation (my ER6i's tripple-flanged tips get 36db cancellation, that's more than the plugs I wear while shooting [and yes, I do wear these while shooting at mechanized ranges (no range commands to listen to)]).
They allow one to listen to music at very low levels, and really benefit hearing (because when you crank it up on those ipod phones to compete with the noise [and they do let you hear everything around you], you end up listening to music at very high decibel levels [115+ for the iPod buds --- do you also shoot without hearing protection regularly?]).
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top