Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2006 7:34:20 AM EDT
A couple of months ago I wrote two checks.  One to JC Pennys and one to Costco.  I wrote them the same day but I wrote one in-between them so they're not in consecutive order.  Neither have cleared.  I'm a little worried and annoyed with them not clearing.   Has anyone else ever had this happen?

Patty

Update 03/30/06  I went in to my bank and complained about the two checks that haven't cleared.  Bank Manager told me that the Federal Reserve has lost several checks [some of hers included] and that it could take a few more months for them to decypher which ones they lost.  Funny thing she says that the companies that I wrote the checks to have already been paid.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:35:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I find my checks to Costco take significantly longer to clear, the Costco in my area doesn't have check readers.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:38:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I find my checks to Costco take significantly longer to clear, the Costco in my area doesn't have check readers.

That's odd typically it only takes 3-4 days for my checks to clear from Costco.  Patty
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:00:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I write about 5,000 checks for work for my employer and several customers each month.  Checks that are cashed but don't show-up on your statement happens very often.  Almost always the banks will eventually catch the error.  That's true of most bank errors.z
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:41:31 AM EDT
[#4]
My mother-in-law si the worst about this.  I have had checks outstanding for 8 months before before they clear.

Fine with me though.  It is easy to track them in Quicken, and I get to earn interest on them until they are drawn.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:43:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Give them time.  Sometimes it gets lost until they do an internal audit and all of a sudden they will cash it and it will clear.  Then you get big hole in your bankaccount!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Give them time.  Sometimes it gets lost until they do an internal audit and all of a sudden they will cash it and it will clear.  Then you get big hole in your bankaccount!

Yes, I agree.  I've set aside the transactions but I worry about them being lost and in the wrong hands.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#7]
So is there actually a time period after which the check is no longer valid?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:08:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I don't know.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:21:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I try to use on-line bill payment whenever possible.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:27:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know.

alot of em have dates, in fact I just cashed a paycheck this afternoon, that was almost expired....

( yeah send me a check a month after seasonal layoff mixed in with a bunch of paperwork.... luckily i found it when doing my taxes...)
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Payroll checks are typically 90 days.  The limit is 2 years if not otherwise stated IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Billpay and Direct Deposit.  Very rarely do I write a check for anything.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:14:49 PM EDT
[#13]
These were things I purchased at a store.  Costco for groceries [almost $400] and JC Penneys for clothes for the kidlets. [$40 & Change].
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
These were things I purchased at a store.  Costco for groceries [almost $400] and JC Penneys for clothes for the kidlets. [$40 & Change].

ATM/EBT card.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top