Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2006 11:56:12 PM EDT
I've been looking to get a couple of cell phones and I want them to work in Maine, New Hampshire, and northern Vermont.  Who has the best coverage?  Who has the best plan? I don't need 5000 minutes I only need maybe 500 or less.  I looked at some plans but man were they complex as far as extra charges, taxes, sur charges, early termination fees, etc. etc.  I just want a simple phone with a simple plan.  Thanks
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:53:05 AM EDT
[#1]
^
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:25:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Go with Verizon.  CDMA is the best technology for cell phones, and they have good coverage on the east coast.  You can compare all cell phone plans online, they're usually pretty comparable to one another.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:28:27 AM EDT
[#3]
You want simple, go pre-paid.  All those things you mentioned " looked at some plans but man were they complex as far as extra charges, taxes, sur charges, early termination fees, etc. etc", will come along with every cell phone provider with the exception of pre-paid. You can cancel when you want. May end up costing more, but its no hassle.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:46:27 AM EDT
[#4]
At one time AT&T had the best coverage of Maine.  I looked into getting a cell phone to use in remote areas up there and AT&T was best.  They have been bought by someone.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:52:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Verizon works in parts of Maine at least. I had a friend who bought phones from TWO other providers who assured them they would work in Maine. They didnt work in Lewiston. He now has a verizon phone and it works fine.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:49:55 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks I'll look some more so far I've got verizon and att
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Cingular / ATT - They have good coverage and national coverage is included in every plan. Plus rollover minutes are cool.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#8]
One Help in deciding on a carrier is to know where the Cellphone Towers ACTUALLY
ARE
in your home area , and what Carrier owns them.

You can search here

www.cellreception.com/towers/index.html
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#9]
It may or may not work up here in northern NH or VT......if you get into some of the valleys it  wont..an example is in Whitefield NH. It will not work..Terrain is your wireless enemy up here.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I know that I got a phone call on my verizon phone in Van Buren, Maine. If that's not BFE, i dont know where is.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Verizon. Everyone in my family has one. Even out while i'm hunting I rarely lose signal.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Maine and the mountains of New Hampshire are the places I want the best coverage.  I know the mountains are very skechy as far as where the phone will work and where it won't.  So far verizon seems to have the best coverage.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:07:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I got a Verizon phone and plan.  There was so much paper work it was like buying a damn house!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top