Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/3/2006 8:41:13 PM EDT
I'm joining the Army and wondering if I can CCW from 9 to 5 while in uniform.  Also, will I be able to buy stuff that is law-enforcement only, like magazines with more than 10 rounds, etc.?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:41:53 PM EDT
[#1]
no
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#2]
absofuckinlutely not.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:42:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I would love to see you carry on a military base without being LE...  federal property and all that.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes you can, IF you have a GO authorize it, so NO you cannot!(unless your dad has a bunch of stars on his collar).  Or if you are CID that works as well.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:44:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm joining the Army and wondering if I can CCW from 9 to 5 while in uniform.  Also, will I be able to buy stuff that is law-enforcement only, like magazines with more than 10 rounds, etc.?

Over 10-round magazines are not LE only in most states. You doubtlessly will spend time in free states while in the Army.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:45:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Still learning all the lingo....what's a GO and what's a CID?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#7]
And the CCW thing..when I was in the Army Reserve, one of the guys was a CDC correctional officer. For a time he was carrying while doing his reserve duty on weekends. This was authorized by the chain of command, but I suspect that he may have received some threats related to his civilian job.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:51:32 PM EDT
[#8]
to help get the message across, YES YOU CAN, but when you get caught call a section fucking 8  

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#9]
you will have less access to a firearm once you join the Army, as a matter of fact they will treat you like a child and take all the fun out of having a assault rifle.

I never thought I would loathe shooting til i joined up.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Still learning all the lingo....what's a GO and what's a CID?

General Officer (actually I reread AR190-14 para 2-8 and it said Field Grade Officer or GS-12 or above), and CID is the Army version of NCIS.  It is the Criminal Investigation Division.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#11]
pal you can't even have guns comfortably in the army.  
let me educate you on a problem that I just fixed.  on my post of ft richardson ak you need to register all firearms like any other post I've been to.  there are no fire arms ammo or weapons in the barracks.  we even had a kid get an art 15 for a airsoft gun.  For my ar50 I had to press the issue big time.  When registered your fire arm has a reg card and either is stored at your arms room or at your place of residence.  now you aren't gonna have a place of residence if you are a private unless you have a ring on your finger.  I had to send my paper work up the coc 3 times before they would ok it staying at my squad leaders house.  You can't carry anywhere on base.  Once you leave base yes you are good to go again but no.  your answere is hell no.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm married and have 1 kid so I think we'll be staying in private housing.  I'm assuming I'm allowed to own legal firearms in my own private house while in the Army, correct?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm married and have 1 kid so I think we'll be staying in private housing.  I'm assuming I'm allowed to own legal firearms in my own private house while in the Army, correct?

As long as your coc approves it you can.  And no you probably won't be staying in "private" housing, you'll be staying in government housing, unless you get lucky and base housing is full then you have to go rent a place off base which is best if you have firearms.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The Army only works 9-to-5 these days?  What happened to doing more before 5am than most people do all day?  Since when are 10+ magazines LE only?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:07:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The Army only works 9-to-5 these days?  What happened to doing more before 5am than most people do all day?  Since when are 10+ magazines LE only?

That's what the recruiter told me.  9 to 5.

10+ magazines are LE only in California.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not sure what the actual recruiter-speak is, but I suspect you have been lied to.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:16:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

9 to 5 my ass, your recruiter is full of shit, more like 0600 for PT which turns into 0530 because your squad leader doesn't want you there late and the PSG tells him 0545 to about 1700 if you are not in the field and all your work is done.

LOL 9-5!

what MOS are you going for?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:16:45 PM EDT
[#18]
man thats worse than college
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm not sure which MOS yet.  I'm taking the ASVAB on the 7th.  The recruiter says we can talk about MOS after I get the results.  I'm looking into something related to computers and technology, since I worked for 7 years as a computer engineer in the San Francisco area.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:21:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I'm not army, but I'm on an army post.
They're up and running well before 9.
Many are up and certain squads are running morning PT at/before 5.

I came from MA, a gun unfriendly state.  I was an active shooter and instructor.  I enlisted.

This is the longest I've gone w/o access to firearms.  You have MUCH LESS gun time in the military unless you're infantry/security forces/Marine.  Sorry, I don't speak Navy.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:34:41 PM EDT
[#21]
PT before breakfast. Breakfast around 0730.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:37:51 PM EDT
[#22]
shit Im infantry and I see my assigned rifle very little.  There is no 09-1700.  My squad leader is at my door for room inspection at 0545 every morning.  We have formation and are off for pt at 6.  Yes you start work work at 0930.  then we get off anywhere from 1630 to 1800.  thats good though.  ask your recruiter if he is a dirty leg pog.  then tell him you wanna be just like him when you grow up.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:42:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Damn 5:30 is EARLY!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:47:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Not so bad when lights out is 2100
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Pssst...

Go see an Air Force recruiter...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:51:47 PM EDT
[#27]
I think I'm too old to join the Air Force.  I'm 29.  Plus, I like the idea of being a Soldier.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:57:31 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I think I'm too old to join the Air Force.  I'm 29.  Plus, I like the idea of being a Soldier.

Active duty you have to be under 27 IIRC

The Air Guard or Reserve takes older... think up to 35...

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:00:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Not interested in Reserve or Guard.

Anyone else have some "reality" about the Army they want to share?  I'm gonna take a list of questions to my recruiter.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:05:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

9 to 5 my ass, your recruiter is full of shit, more like 0600 for PT which turns into 0530 because your squad leader doesn't want you there late and the PSG tells him 0545 to about 1700 if you are not in the field and all your work is done.

LOL 9-5!

what MOS are you going for?

+1

Your recruiter is bullshitting you and he knows it!
The Army is NOT an easy life... it is not a bad life either...
But it is NOT a 9 to 5 job.

Even the AF is not like it once was....
We just started mandatory PT....

In today's military, you WILL deploy, no matter what branch you are in..

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:22:53 PM EDT
[#31]
check it out man.  If you join the army you will be alone for a good while at first then you might be able to get your family up to you.  think this through.  We have a guy who got to fort rich alaska in november.  his command sponsorship is still pending.  so his wife and child are still waiting at home to even begin preparing to come to him.  He was given no duty station choice.  we are in a time of war these types of little inconveniences are normal.  now they are telling him that he should really look into having them stay home since we are deploying sept oct timeframe.  what point would there be for his family to be up for a few months then would be alone in a new place for a year to 18 months (yes they can and do do that).  

If you are getting a job in the army and don't want to be the real soldier the infantryman then don't join the infantry.  You don't say hey boss I wanna switch to commo or medic or truck maintance.  there is no problem with those jobs but you won't switch over without a huge pain in the ass and alot of trouble you don't need.  Don't join unless you are 100% sure you want it and its where you belong.  I know way to many guys who hate the service.  its a normal joe thing but there are others who love it(muah)  

Look over the job choices.  they will try to rope you into a job while you are at the meps station.  know what you want and if your scores aren't high enough for that job tell them thanks anyway and come back the next month to retake it.  Do not settle on a job you don't want.  4 years or 2 or 6 what ever you pick is alot of time to go to war and bleed sweat and cry over a job you hate.  we don't cry you get the idea.  Know what you want and don't stop at the recruiters meps untill you get it.  No sign on bonus is worth hating life for as long as some guys do.  They tax the shit out of it and its just no good.

look around and know what you want.  I would thinka t 29 with a wife and kid you should be squared away on what you want.  so go get it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:29:44 PM EDT
[#32]
If it is not in your contract, you are not getting it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#33]
You didn't do your homework, did you?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:37:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Doing it right now :)

I've been looking around on the Internet and getting information from other sources besides my recruiter.  I think I'm more informed than your average recruit.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I've been looking around on the Internet and getting information from other sources besides my recruiter.  I think I'm more informed than your average recruit.

That you may be.  However...do you believe what the recruiter is telling you?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:41:41 PM EDT
[#36]
From what I read in the discussion you made two mistakes: 1. You believed the recruiter. 2. You believed the recruiter.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:12:22 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Not really.
I'm a civie and I show up to work at 5am, 6 days a week.
You actually believed the shit a recruiter told you?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:13:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Hold on there.  When did I say that I believed him?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:44:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
shit Im infantry and I see my assigned rifle very little.  There is no 09-1700.  My squad leader is at my door for room inspection at 0545 every morning.  We have formation and are off for pt at 6.  Yes you start work work at 0930.  then we get off anywhere from 1630 to 1800.  thats good though.  ask your recruiter if he is a dirty leg pog.  then tell him you wanna be just like him when you grow up.

If you're Airborne Infantry from Alaska shouldn't you be at Fort Irwin hanging out at the PX and Burger King with the rest of 1/501st?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:46:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Funny, while I was in the navy, I bought a shitload of guns.  Never officially informed my commands about any of them.  They knew I had guns because I was known as "the gun nut" on the sub.  

Actually quite proud of myself.  My influence created no less than four first time gun buyers, two of which went on to become official gun nuts and have probably surpassed me in general gun nuttiness.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:53:16 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

You are 8thefuck ^ right now.  ( That is not your fault yet)

There is not 9-5 in the ARMY, and you are going to be the old man in Basic.. That is OK, and I wish you good luck. But please,please know what you want, and are getting into!...I loved my time in the ARMY but I have a feeling you are getting in over your head at this time.

Really....Why are you wondering about CCW in uniform at this point?..You have bigger things to be thinking about.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:08:16 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It never ceases to amaze me that people fall for that shit.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:11:49 AM EDT
[#43]
If youre looking for a badass MOS, go 19Delta Cavalry Scout.

If youre looking for an almost-as badass MOS, go 11Bravo Infantryman.

Nothing else is badass.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:53:08 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As long as your coc approves it you can.  And no you probably won't be staying in "private" housing, you'll be staying in government housing, unless you get lucky and base housing is full then you have to go rent a place off base which is best if you have firearms.

If you live off post, then you may keep firearms just as any resident of the state can.

You only have to register your firearms on post if you live on post.

You may not CCW on post (and probably not in uniform when off post).

There is a war for the very survival of our Republic and the values of Western Civilization going on.  Intolerant, militant Islam seeks to dominate the entire world with its brutal 6th century "vision".  Your country needs fighting soldiers willing to do the right thing.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:09:34 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's more like 24/7!!

Seriously, you need to do your homework.  If you were single and 18 I wouldn't care - that's life and we learn from our mistakes.  But you are not.  Your primary focus should be your family.  First and foremost.  Military life has the potential to destroy even the most stable of marriages.  I learned that firsthand.  

If you have already signed on the line and taken the oath it may be too late and I wish you well.

If not, here's a couple things to consider;

Your MOS (job)
Sign-on bonuses
Education (MGIB) and potential bouses

Good luck.  

EDITED TO ADD
You have more important things to worry about then whether you can carry on duty or not!!!

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:46:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Your recruiter has dyslexia you work 5-9 not 9-5. If you live off post you have to abide by local and state laws. On post it depends on the post commander. Normally you register your arms on post, and if you live in government quarters (on post housing) you can keep you weapons at home, if you live in the barracks you keep them in the arms room. As far as magazines they don’t care you have to obey state laws. In most states you can by 30 round magazines and they don’t need ID or care how old you are. As far as buying magazines that say LE only, LE stands for Law Enforcement not military check the laws of the state your station in. But when you move back to the state of California, I don’t think they will let you keep you magazines.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:01:16 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're Airborne Infantry from Alaska shouldn't you be at Fort Irwin hanging out at the PX and Burger King with the rest of 1/501st?

Because Im on rear detatchment.  There were only so many slots for the bat.  So if you catch the hatchet company mortar platoon you will see there is only one section there.  the other 2 which includes me are still at home using the shooting ranges and being bored out of our minds.  3-509 is still here as well as the 1-40 but we don't any training to do with them.  I couldn't tell you exactly but I would guess from what Ive  seen at the reard formations there is about 150-175 guys stranded here still from the 1-501
edit to add
don't forget though.  the artic warriors have expanded to include this 4-25 combat brigade.  so not only do you have the 1-501 tast force(no longer a task force) now theres also the 3-509 and the 1-40 are both jumpers from up here.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:06:19 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I'm not sure which MOS yet.  I'm taking the ASVAB on the 7th. The recruiter says we can talk about MOS after I get the results.  I'm looking into something related to computers and technology, since I worked for 7 years as a computer engineer in the San Francisco area.

Ummmmmm.....que?

BC
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:06:41 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

No. This is yet antoher ridiculous thing the Army does.

When I was on active duty, if I had a firearm, it was to be stored in the arms room. I would have needed a note from the CO to take it out while off duty.

Once I got out and went into the NG, I bought my own. I was allowed to carry on the base because I was no longer on active duty and it was an open post.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
No. This is yet antoher ridiculous thing the Army does.

When I was on active duty, if I had a firearm, it was to be stored in the arms room. I would have needed a note from the CO to take it out while off duty.

Once I got out and went into the NG, I bought my own. I was allowed to carry on the base because I was no longer on active duty and it was an open post.

Concealed carry is not allowed on any military installation (nor on any DOD or Federal property).  Only exceptions are Federal LEO and military investigators (CID, NCIS, OSI).

A civilian (state) CCW permit-holder can not legally carry concealed on a military installation.  For example, Fort Bragg Regulation 190-12 says:

1-5. Concealed handgun permits. North Carolina law that authorizes licensed individuals to
carry concealed handguns, does not apply on the Fort Bragg reservation; thus, state-issued
concealed handgun permits are not recognized or valid on Fort Bragg. Under no circumstances
will the transportation of loaded or concealed handguns, shotguns, or rifles be permitted on Fort
Bragg except by duly authorized law enforcement personnel or by military personnel in the
performance of their official duties.

3-2. Method for transporting firearms. Firearms shall be transported in the following
manner:
a. The firearm must be unloaded and transported in a compartment of the vehicle that is
inaccessible to passengers in the vehicle. In all cases, ammunition will be transported in a
separate compartment from the one in which the weapon is stored. If no inaccessible area exists,
the firearm will be unloaded and transported in open view and the ammunition stored separately.
A firearm in a closed case is considered in open view if it otherwise complies with the provisions
above. In all cases ammunition will be separate from the firearm.
b. Firearms used for hunting on Fort Bragg ranges, as defined in FB Regulation (FB Reg)
420-11, may be transported in the passenger compartment of a vehicle as long as they are
unloaded and cased, and only while the possessor of the firearm(s) is actively engaged in hunting
as defined in FB Reg 420-11. As an exception, muzzleloaders may be transported with a round
in the chamber as long as the firearm’s firing cap or priming powder is removed rendering it
unable to fire.
c. Firearms left in an unattended vehicle may be confiscated by law enforcement personnel.

g. Fort Bragg is Federal property. As such, state-issued concealed handgun permits are not
recognized or valid on Fort Bragg. Therefore, persons entering Fort Bragg must comply with all
the provisions of this regulation, regardless of whether or not they hold a state-issued concealed
handgun permit. This includes all personnel who enter through any Access Control Point (ACP).
An exception is granted for personnel holding valid North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permits
who directly traverse public highways through Fort Bragg as long as they are not stopping on or
within the installation, or going through an Access Control Point (ACP). Apart from this,
carrying of concealed weapons (of any sort) on Fort Bragg is strictly prohibited.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top