Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 7:55:58 PM EDT
Yesterday it sounded like a hospital sick ward at work; people were hacking, coughing and schnorkeling all day. Bastards. Now my nose is running and my throat feels a little sore. It's gonna be hell next monday when I have a swim class and a weight lifting class to go to if this does turn into a cold. Is there something I can do RIGHT NOW to lessen the physical symptoms if/when they develop? I had a cold three months ago dammit
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:58:59 PM EDT
[#1]
A snort of Granny Clampett's moonshine.

eat right, drink plenty of fluids, another snort, get plenty of rest and th cold will go away.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#2]
My home remedy for the cure of the common cold:

Take a fifth of Jack Daniels and then take a pint of Jack Daniels, mix them together and drink that.
The symptoms should start to subside within a few minutes.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:04:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Some people swear by this stuff...
"Airborne"

I've never tried it so I don't know.  It's supposed to help the body help itself.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:05:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#5]
1) Take a couple of shots of bourbon, depending on your tolerance level.
2) Gather together about 4-5 heavy blankets.
3) Wrap yourself in these blankets and go to sleep around 9:00 pm.
4) Do not push the blankets off no matter how hot you feel.
5) Wake up around noon the next day.

Its an old hillbilly remedy.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:14:47 PM EDT
[#6]
we quit eating or drinking things that lower the immune system...at least the sugars. fluids (water ) and rest is something most people don't do...booze isn't liquids in the "flushing out the toxins" sense of the word.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Its called a sweat out. Works wonders. I wouuldn't have believed it if I didn't feel the difference.

Also, vitamin C and zinc. Thats my remedy
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:20:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the advice. I usually stay up late on friday but tonight I will call it quits earely.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:33:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Take 3 vitamin C pills each day. Mix a tablespoon of honey with 4oz jack daniels every 4 hours, drink plenty of orange juice, get lots of rest. Get some cold-eze and take as directed. Amazingly, In 2 weeks, your cold will be better.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#10]
You gotta feed a cold!

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:38:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:38:44 PM EDT
[#12]
H&B
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:44:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Zinc lozenges like Cold Ez work wonders, in my personal experience they cut the length of a cold in half!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:46:44 PM EDT
[#14]
May I suggest...

Seriously, I've been fighting a cold that last couple of weeks and I just took some tonight and feel alot better.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Airbourne.......there is no substitute!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

That's what I've always done, works almost every time.  Except I don't drink the alcohol because it disturbs the sleep.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Zinc lozenges like Cold Ez work wonders, in my personal experience they cut the length of a cold in half!

A big +1 to that.

I don't even think that they should work. I'm still suspicious that the zinc thing is just a bunch of hogwash.

But, dang it, every time I feel like I'm getting a cold and take them I don't ever get really sick. Just a mild and short lived head cold that doesn't really slow me down. Give them a try.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:06:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:12:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Chair of my department swears by loading up on fruit, and ginger or garlic. By ginger, I mean in tea or just eaten. Garlic eaten.

It's weird as hell, seeing him eat ginger and garlic (he keeps mints around too), but the guy doesn't get sick.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Simple as it may seem....drink the water man...lots of it!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Zinc is the key.  That is the stuff in Zicam and some other cold remedies.

Plus lots of water.  Your body needs it to move everything.  I usually get all plugged up very fast, so Guaifed/Mucinex helps with that.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:53:56 PM EDT
[#22]
zinc and vitamin C. Hot shower.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top