Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2006 6:28:41 PM EDT

Ok, so on an impulse buy I bought a nine pound pork shoulder picnic because it just looked like something I should eat. Most recipes talk about smokers, but all i have is a three burner grill with a fairly accurate temp gauge.

How should I cook this thing?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a metal steam table pan, put some water in it and a handfull of whatever wood chips you wanna use, season the meat as desired, turn on one or two burners, place the pan of chips over those burners place the meat as far from the lit burners as possible, close the lid, and keep her at 200-225 for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs per pound and it should work just fine!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:38:27 PM EDT
[#2]
just throw it in pan. I usually get mine out of a can though
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Get a metal steam table pan, put some water in it and a handfull of whatever wood chips you wanna use, season the meat as desired, turn on one or two burners, place the pan of chips over those burners place the meat as far from the lit burners as possible, close the lid, and keep her at 200-225 for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs per pound and it should work just fine!

I can do this.   What wood chips would you recommend and what seasoning?

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I like hickory or mesquite myself, some like pecan, and apple is really good on pork as well.  As far as seasoning the meat, I generally use a dry rub that consists of paprika, chili powder, sugar, well, a bunch of stuff, and I can't find the recipe right now.  A trip to the local mart should net you a fairly decent BBQ rub though.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:19:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I like hickory or mesquite myself, some like pecan, and apple is really good on pork as well.  As far as seasoning the meat, I generally use a dry rub that consists of paprika, chili powder, sugar, well, a bunch of stuff, and I can't find the recipe right now.  A trip to the local mart should net you a fairly decent BBQ rub though.  

thanks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:50:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You're right on with this.  Also when the meat reached about 140 degrees you can stop puttting wood in there.  At that temp the meat won't take any more smoke flavor.

If you want to talk BBQ, check out this forum.  It is on a commercial site, but regardless, there is a lot of info to be had there.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I like to inject hams with a mixture of apricot nectar, a little honey, red and black pepper.  Simmer the mixture in a sauce pan, then strain the pepper out and inject the liquid.  I start out with the ham wrapped in foil then when it's almost done, peel the foil away and let some smoke get at it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:20:16 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife had one of these on New Years Day. "Pork Shoulder" wasn't very indicative of it being ham. Wasnt too bad though, in a roaster.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:40:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Just put a dry rub on it and stick it in the oven for 10 or so hours at 225. Not nearly as good as smoking, but still pretty good.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:12:55 AM EDT
[#10]
If you have a grill light only the outside burners on low.
use the pans as mentioned before if they will fit.
For a easy rub I use Tony's Louisanna spice (a lot of stores carry it now) .
Slow cook that sucker fat side up for 1 1-1/2 hours per pound, untill a meat themometer shows 160 degrees internal.
Smoke can be added by soaking wood in water and wrapping them in Heavy foil and putting a few holes in the foil with a fork. and tossd below the pork.
If you cook it low enough and slow enough the meat falls apart.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:18:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Another GD food thread without pics - again!

The mods need to crack down on this type of COC transgesion hard!

Merlin
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Then when you done getting some smoke in it put it in a baking bag and cook it at 250 degrees over night.
ETA, in the oven
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Do you guys turn these things or can I just put it in fat side up and come back in 8 hours?

If I have to turn it constantly, then i need to get more beer.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:01:52 PM EDT
[#14]
no turning, but you need to check on it to keep the temp. steady
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:05:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Do you guys turn these things or can I just put it in fat side up and come back in 8 hours?

If I have to turn it constantly, then i need to get more beer.  

No turning needed.  Keep the pit temp at 225 and you are good to go.  A remote wireless thermometer is a must for any serious BBQ'er.

Photokirk's Pulled Pork food pr0n
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:10:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Tannerite and some BBQ sauce.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top