Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2006 5:33:43 PM EDT
A buddy wants to go out hog hunting and invited me to go.  I know nothing about hunting other than to shoot the critter to make it dead.  Other than that I am totally clueless!

I have a 16" M4gery that I plan on using.  What ammo should I use for that?  I imagine my plinking ammo (62gr Wolf) is not the best for this application.

How do I dress a hog?  What should I do with the meat?  What parts are good anyway?

Where do I aim on it?

How close should I try to get?  How far is too far to try a shot?

What should I wear?  BDU's or something else?

What else should I know?

I'm really clueless here and dont want to look like an idiot in the field!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Step one, post in the hunting forum.

Ammo:  Surplus M193 or Q1313A has been proved to be an effective pig killer.  I also believe a commerical hunting bullet (60 grains or heavier, the lighter bullets may be too explosive) should give you the penetration you require.  I'd leave Wolf at home.

Clothing:  Check if there are any hunting regulations, as a minimum amount of blaze or dayglo orange.  I doubt this is the case.  Dress for a hike, dress for the conditions, be prepared for it to get colder than you think.  Being cold isn't fun.

Taking the shot:  Aim for behind the shoulder to put one through the vitals.  If you have a guide/experienced friend, ask for his advice on shot placement.  Im no pig expert, but a blown up heart makes any critter dead.  Take shots at ranges you KNOW you can place it where it is needed.  Don't try to test your newfound long range shooting skills in the field.

Cleaning:  Claim ignorance and make your friend do it.  Offer to hold the light if its after dark.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:49:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Here ya go, Napoleon_Tanerite:

AR15.Com Hunting Forum
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Make it scream and beg for mercy.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#4]
"Hunter Orange" is for douchebags.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

So... you telling us you got a pair of panties in the color or what?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:59:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here ya go, Napoleon_Tanerite:

AR15.Com Hunting Forum

Thanks for the heads up.  I posted this in the hunting forum as per your advice.  This thread can die here if need be.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:59:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It is a law during the deer gun season.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Be honest with your buddy, ask him what he recommends. If you go in posing your going to embarrass yourself.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not here.  

MARPAT for me
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#10]
#1  GO TO A FUCKING HUNTER SAFETY COURSE!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:13:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

And this means what? Wearing a condom?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:21:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

well, this kids friend may end up in a big black condom with a zipper down the middle.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:54:41 PM EDT
[#14]
who do you think i am? dick cheney?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

No,  Dick Cheney is not a Post Whore.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#16]
How the fuck does somebody generate 77 posts per day?

Seriously, WTF bro?

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No,  Dick Cheney is not a Post Whore.

pot calling the kettle black right there
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

that's the attitude that gets someone killed... DO NOT POST ONE MORE TIME UNTIL YOU HAVE ATTENDED A HUNTER SAFETY COURSE. I for one will not hunt with anyone who hasn't   I'm willing to bet you need a hunter safety card to get a hog permit in Florida anyway.  It will be educational for you and keep you legal.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:43:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's the attitude that gets someone killed... DO NOT POST ONE MORE TIME UNTIL YOU HAVE ATTENDED A HUNTER SAFETY COURSE. I for one will not hunt with anyone who hasn't   I'm willing to bet you need a hunter safety card to get a hog permit in Florida anyway.  It will be educational for you and keep you legal.

I'll be lone person to agree with you. It probably is required to even get a hunting license, it is in Texas if you are born after Sept of '71. You can get a 1 lifetime deferrment then it is required. Hey you might just learn something, you never know.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:55:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not here.  

MARPAT for me

+1

Nothing worse then getting glassed by some fat slob weekend warrior thru his scope with a round in the chamber. I prefer for people NOT to see me.
Camo - move slow - know your 360

Take a hunters safety course.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Advice for new hunters, I have only 2 samll requests.  

1. Clearly indentify target.

2. Clearly identify backdrop.

Otherwise just follow your buddies lead, and I'm sure you'll get some good advice from here.  Just remeber to be safe and respectful, have fun.  

Semper Paratus.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:11:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The guy obviously knows something about firearms which is more than most people who have passed the hunter's safety course know.

The course is a fucking joke.  They don't teach much of anything about firearms safety.  I, for one, would much rather someone know how to handle a firearm than to have passed a course that any moron can pass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top