Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2006 5:10:02 PM EDT
I need a low velocity 10mm load.. Equvalent to .45ACP levels.. Who makes such an animal?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone??? Before this post fades to oblivion.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm afraid you're talking about the .40 S&W.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Federal Classic 180gr HP runs out of a stock Glock 20  barrel @ 1000 fps. Like the other poster said, you're into .40 S&W country when you want slow 10mm.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I want that type of velocity in a 10mm.. I have a NIB BrenTen that I want to shoot..But I am not going to put even FBI lite loads thru it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I want that type of velocity in a 10mm.. I have a NIB BrenTen that I want to shoot..But I am not going to put even FBI lite loads thru it.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont consider a $2200 NIB pistol of which 900 or so were made to be gay... Or are you just good at making shit for brains comments?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont consider a $2200 NIB pistol of which 900 or so were made to be gay... Or are you just good at making shit for brains comments?

I wasnt calling the pistol gay at all (awesome gun), I was calling the unwillingness to shoot full powered ammo in it gay.  Guns are meant to be shot.  I still shoot my great grandfathers 97 year old Holland & Holland double rifle, cause thats what it was meant for.  Awesome gun though (though you have showed it off way too much it seems )
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wasnt calling the pistol gay at all (awesome gun), I was calling the unwillingness to shoot full powered ammo in it gay.  Guns are meant to be shot.  I still shoot my great grandfathers 97 year old Holland & Holland double rifle, cause thats what it was meant for.  Awesome gun though (though you have showed it off way too much it seems )

Please forgive me for being excited at finally being able to get my holy grail. No more pics from me.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:41:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please forgive me for being excited at finally being able to get my holy grail. No more pics from me.

It wasnt meant to be a complaint, just makes the rest of us feel ineadequate (well, not me, I just fondle my Mk23 SOCOM when I see them ).

Try out some full power 10mm loads and give us a range report
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:41:40 PM EDT
[#10]
never chronoed it but the Americian eagle lead 180gr is really  weak
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#11]
What is so special about the Bren Ten?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#12]
gmtmaster: I don't think there is any factory 10mm-lite ammo, most of the factory loaded ammo is fairly powerful.  I would find a friend or pay someone to reload some less than full-power factory loads.  I have been reloading for my Bren Ten 10mm that is probably equivalent to 45ACP, actually I use a bit less power than for my 45ACP loads.

EditToAdd(ETA):  The current crop of factory loaded 10mm ammo is no where close to the original factory Norma loads, now that was some really hot stuff.

BTW: One day I was shooting my Bren 10 at an indoor range, and all of a sudden it jammed, the previous spent case was still in the chamber, upon closer examination the extractor had flew off during the previous round.  I finally found the extractor on the range floor, whew! I would've had a heck of a finding or having one made by a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I just dont want a catastrophic failure of the frame or slide.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Just shoot.
.....and get a DILLON
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn I needs me a 10mm...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:53:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I need a low velocity 10mm load.. Equvalent to .45ACP levels.. Who makes such an animal?

Thiis NOT the arfcom way!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:59:53 PM EDT
[#17]
If I break this gun I will have alot of sand in my vagina...I dont like sand in my vagina.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:01:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

EditToAdd(ETA):  The current crop of factory loaded 10mm ammo is no where close to the original factory Norma loads, now that was some really hot stuff.

I still have some of that ammo.  It shoots very well out of my 10mm Omega. I love that gun.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Ive seen it for sale.. Im kinda becoming a cartridge collector.. Id like to try a box in my 10mm Witness...

Im looking for a box of Norma with the BrenTen logo on it... There were some made in the 80s.. Sure like to find a box!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:04:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Trade it in for a Smith & Wesson or Glock 10mm that you can shoot all day and not worry about.

ETA:  Im trying not to have a KB... Ill pass on the Glock
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:15:18 PM EDT
[#22]
how are you going to break your 10mm most factory  loads now days are for the most part a 40 auto. the winchester 175 silver tips is on of the only warmer loads you can get. you can get some 200 grain sub sonic load they are the same as a 45 or umc 10mm 180 grains are 30 fps faster than a 40 load.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:02:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Trade it in for a Smith & Wesson or Glock 10mm that you can shoot all day and not worry about.

Smart man
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:07:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I still have some of that ammo.  It shoots very well out of my 10mm Omega. I love that gun.

Your Peter Stahl-design dual extractor Omega is long out of production.  It was imported by Springfield Armory and parts are extremely hard to get, so don't break any extractors etc, or you're going to be SOL.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:22:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Smart man

Don't worry - they only go KABOOM on the .40 S&W, and the 10mm isn't anything like a .40S&W at all, especially not a high-powered version or something...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:23:14 PM EDT
[#26]
10mm PMC starfire is exactly the same velocity as their .40, last time I checked.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:41:37 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Smart man

Don't worry - they only go KABOOM on the .40 S&W, and the 10mm isn't anything like a .40S&W at all, especially not a high-powered version or something...

That is correct.  The Glock 10mm is nothing like the 40S&W version.  It seems that Glock made the case head end of the chamber a bit extra generous to help in the feeding.  But because of the larger chamber dimensions, it is almost impossible to reload Glock fired 40S&W cases, without a special sizing die.  The problem is that ordinary 40S&W dies just push the brass ahead, like a little plow, and therefore the little ridge of brass will result in that the slide will not go in 100% into battery, thus a misfire.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:18:23 AM EDT
[#28]
As already mentioned, the PMC 180 grain Starfire is probably your best bet.  At 950 fps it’s actually slightly lower than many equivalent .40 S&W loads.

I doubt you’ll find anything lower since the round has to be able to function the pistol.

If you look at reloading, you can go lower - though most likely with reliability problems.  Whatever you do, don’t try a really low velocity load that winds up with a bullet getting stuck in the barrel.  If you don’t notice it and send a second round down the barrel, you’re going to be very, very unhappy!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:53:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Let me get this right.  You paid $2200 for your "holy grail" of a pistol but it's such a POS that you're worried about the frame or slide breaking if you shoot full power 10 MM loads though it.  WTF makes the thing such a "holy grail"?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:14:29 AM EDT
[#30]
200g loads @ 1200fps is hot.  You're not gonna break anything with 180g @ 1000. What I see on the shelves today is 10mm lite and IF you can find any of the hot stuff it will be plastered all over the box..
 Shoot the gun, it's made for it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:20:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Let me get this straight....you are saying the Bren Ten Can't take a full power shot?

Shoot it - it will be fine.
If you are that concerned about the charge, reload your own.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:07:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:03:12 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Let me get this right.  You paid $2200 for your "holy grail" of a pistol but it's such a POS that you're worried about the frame or slide breaking if you shoot full power 10 MM loads though it.  WTF makes the thing such a "holy grail"?

Amen brother.  i don't know  anything about that paraticular gun.   But if it can't handle  full  power loads then it is nthing  more  than a  piecce of shit.  We're talking  a modern firearm  here  not  a historical piece.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:09:00 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Let me get this right.  You paid $2200 for your "holy grail" of a pistol but it's such a POS that you're worried about the frame or slide breaking if you shoot full power 10 MM loads though it.  WTF makes the thing such a "holy grail"?hr

Amen brother.  i don't know  anything about that paraticular gun.   But if it can't handle  full  power loads then it is nthing  more  than a  piecce of shit.  We're talking  a modern firearm  here  not  a historical piece.

Jeez...cut the guy some slack.  He's got a rare, out of production pistol and he wants to baby it. What's the big friggin' deal?  His money, his gun, let him shoot it the way he wants.

BC
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:12:02 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Smart man

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:20:12 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Bren Ten can shoot the factory loads okay, but not a continuous diet of it.  The original Norma 10mm Auto rounds are probably the most powerful round in a service-size pistol envelope, gets almost up to but does not quite meet the lower power levels of a 41 Rem Mag round.  There are zero factory spare parts and 11 round mags are $125 each.  If you break something, you need to have a gunsmith fabricate a piece for you; mind you this piece would probably not even function close to that of a factory original.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:23:17 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Let me get this right.  You paid $2200 for your "holy grail" of a pistol but it's such a POS that you're worried about the frame or slide breaking

Yep... Less than 1000 made.  If you had your dream car, I suppose youd leave it out in the rain, drive it in the snow and never wash it.  Im thinking, judging by your helpful post, that my guess is probably correct.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:24:46 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like you said, you dont know anything about this particular gun.. Which is obvious.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:05:01 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Let me get this right.  You paid $2200 for your "holy grail" of a pistol but it's such a POS that you're worried about the frame or slide breaking

Yep... Less than 1000 made.  If you had your dream car, I suppose youd leave it out in the rain, drive it in the snow and never wash it.  Im thinking, judging by your helpful post, that my guess is probably correct.

Your analogy here to a car does not fit the situation.   A correct one would be me buying my dream sports car and then only driving it 35 mph on a straight road.  When I buy something I use it as it was designed to be used, be it a gun or a car, and I do take care of them.  Buying a gun that is chambered in 10 MM and then being scared to shoot real 10 MM ammo though it because you are scared you might break it is just stupid.  If you are that worried about breaking it, then don't shoot it.

And why was fewer than 1000 built?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:24:56 AM EDT
[#40]
See here for more info:
Bren Ten

2A373: The Bren Ten was made by the firm of Dornaus & Dixon, Huntington Beach Calif(a city about 50 miles south of Los Angeles), started  by 2 former LAPD officers Tom Dornaus and Michael Dixon. Each of the 1,000 or so Bren Tens were pratically handmade.  Due to some missteps by the company, and the fact that their Italian magazine company went out of business complicated their woes, and forced D&D to ship guns wtihout magazines.  I forget how many years D&D was behind schedule in delivering pistols, but I think it was like 2 years.  The Orange County DA got an injunction that they D&D can not ship pistols without mags, D&D failed shortly thereafter.

This is the gun that started the 10mm guns.  This gun also had a role in the 1984-1989 TV show Miami Vice(but it was converted to 45ACP blanks because 10mm blank ammo was non-existant at the time).  Even rarer guns are 45ACP versions. There was supposed to production of small, medium, and large guns, with either SS frames and blackened slides, and all black versions called SF models with shorter(commander-lenght) slides.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:57:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Most factory ammo you find by the big brand names is pretty low power.  I shoot CCI blazers for practice and they don't feel stout, not at least like my handloads anyway.  I shoot a G20.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:17:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Either way, this isn’t a sports car.

This is a pristine example of a fairly rare and collectable handgun.

Risking damage, breakage or even putting noticable wear on this thing would be simply foolish (unless you’ve got money to burn and don’t care about the historical value).

I personally don’t care to own anything I can’t shoot whenever I feel like it.  But if I somehow found myself owning a pistol like this, I’d be taking the same approach.

Actually, there’s a lot to be said for never shooting the thing to begin with.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Risking damage, breakage or even putting noticable wear on this thing would be simply foolish (unless you’ve got money to burn and don’t care about the historical value).

I personally don’t care to own anything I can’t shoot whenever I feel like it.  But if I somehow found myself owning a pistol like this, I’d be taking the same approach.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:06:16 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you.

There is a rich and slightly eccentic Swedish man who wrecked a $1 million Ferrari in Malibu Calif, to this guy money means nothing, even a million bucks worth.

gmtmaster: I would shoot a few factory rounds through it, it shouldn't hurt it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top