Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 2:49:25 PM EDT
Linkage

SAVANNAH, Ga. - Two sheriff's deputies were fired after being caught on videotape kneeing a man in the back and shooting him with pepper spray after he led officers on a 45-minute chase across three counties.

An internal investigation ordered by Camden County Sheriff William E. Smith concluded his deputies used excessive force against Irwin Kirk Griffen on Feb. 6. The two deputies were fired on Wednesday.

"There is no tolerance for this kind of action," sheriff's Lt. William Terrell said Friday. "We want this to be crystal clear that the sheriff will not tolerate this. It was clearly over the line."

Griffen, 22, of Cary, N.C., fled deputies after they clocked him speeding at 94 mph on Interstate 95.

Deputies said Griffen rammed a patrol car and tried to run over an officer during the chase, which ended when road spikes deflated Griffen's tires.

The video, taped from a deputy's patrol car, shows at least four officers dragging Griffen from his car at gunpoint, pulling his T-shirt over his head and forcing him on the ground.

Griffen does not appear to struggle as a Brantley County sheriff's deputy lands several punches around his head and shoulders. A Camden County deputy then knees him twice in the back. Griffen is also shot with pepper spray while on the ground.

"Good job, brother! Good job," one of the deputies says afterward, putting his arm around the shoulder of another.

The Brantley County sheriff did not immediately return a call for comment on any disciplinary action taken by his department.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:15:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Might want to change the thread title.

Camden County= NOT Savannah. It's about 80 miles south of Savannah on the FL state line.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Might want to change the thread title.

Camden County= NOT Savannah. It's about 80 miles south of Savannah on the FL state line.

Done. I guess as the dateline was Savannah, I assumed it was in the same county. I ain't from there.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:20:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Deputies said Griffen rammed a patrol car and tried to run over an officer during the chase, which ended when road spikes deflated Griffen's tires.

If I tried to run over an officer, I would expect to get at least a small can of whoop-ass opened on me.  Not saying it's right, but every action has its consequences.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top