Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2006 2:39:53 PM EDT
I have an old Nokia cell phone that has been sitting in a closet, (power off) for over year. I took it out today and was going to throw it away, then I hit the power button and it powered up. I noticed it had about 80% battery life, even after sitting there for a year. That gave me an idea. You can still dial 911 on a cell phone, even if it doesn't have an account. I hooked it up to the charger and charged it fully. I then put it in the tool kit I have in my trunk. If I ever were to be stranded in my car for whatever reason (accident etc.) and my main cell phone ran out of battery or was damaged in an accident, I could grab the old cell in my tool kit and at least call 911 (assuming there was service in that area).
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:45:34 PM EDT
[#1]
SOME carriers may carry those calls (911 from unactivated phones), but they are not required to do so.  Many do not.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:48:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought there was a law requiring phone companies to process 911 calls regardless of service.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:49:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I took three cell phones that were no longer active out to the range a couple weeks ago.  Blew two of them completly to bits.  One had a small entry wound in the keypad and a very graphic exit wound in the back.  It now sits above my desk at work w/ a .223 shell next to it.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#4]
There was a thread a year or so back involving a cell phone and our favorite binary explosive
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:07:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
SOME carriers may carry those calls (911 from unactivated phones), but they are not required to do so.  Many do not.  YMMV.

At one time, women's shelters were taking in these phones and having them "activated" for 911 service.

Nice idea, but they should have issued Glocks.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top