Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 2:31:50 PM EDT
Apparently on the Umatillia bombing range. Crew ejected safely. FoxNews.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#1]
it's good they got out. wonder wtf went wrong on this one.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:36:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Unknown. I used to work right across the road from the range when I lived in Hermiston. I always got a kick out of watching the bombing practice. Glad these guys got out ok.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:39:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
it's good they got out. wonder wtf went wrong on this one.

They aren't exactly new airframes.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:43:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Planes go up , planes come down.  The second part does not always go as planned.

rj
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:53:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Planes go up , planes come down.  The second part does not always go as planned.

rj

Any landing you can walk away from is a good one.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:53:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Any landing you can walk away from is a good one.

Any landing you can use the plane again is a great one.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Thing went down a mile from my house.  About 30 miles away from the range.    Two went over, fling low over the hills and then you hear a boom.  Sounded like a sonic boom.... then you saw a cloud of dirt in the air over the hills.    Touchet and Pendleton fire departments responded.   They were trying to get the medic chopper from the Tri-cites to help find it.  But no only if there is confirmed injuries.   WTF???   The crew ejected and sounds like all are going to be fine.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thing went down a mile from my house.  About 30 miles away from the range.    Two went over, fling low over the hills and then you hear a boom.  Sounded like a sonic boom.... then you saw a cloud of dirt in the air over the hills.    Touchet and Pendleton fire departments responded.   They were trying to get the medic chopper from the Tri-cites to help find it.  But no only if there is confirmed injuries.   WTF???   The crew ejected and sounds like all are going to be fine.

You must live around Wallula, no?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:06:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

How far from Hermiston?  I was there this afternoon and didn't see or hear anything.  I hope everyone is all right.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How far from Hermiston?  I was there this afternoon and didn't see or hear anything.  I hope everyone is all right.

You ain't been out shootin your 50 cal at jets again, have ya Sis?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:28:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You ain't been out shootin your 50 cal at jets again, have ya Sis?

ah.....no....but I'd like to shoot a 50 cal.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:44:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Somebody ran out of airspeed, altitude, and ideas.    The rest is just details, but interesting ones.

As the A-6 airframe is very reliable,  my suspicion is that it'll be human error.   Whose error,  I don't know.  

Tagged for future reading in any event.

CJ

I doubt that it will be pilot error.  Most of the time when the pilot screws up down low the crew doesn't make it out alive.  My guess is a bird strike to an engine that caused a catastrophic failure of the engine which caused them to lose the other engine.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:50:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like gravity won this time.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:37:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry, eating dinner, The crash was between the little towns of Helix and Touchet.  Just over the hill by Butler Grade rd.     They flew the air crew out of Pendleton tonight, 1 woman and 3 men.  One of the had a broken leg.  From some friends at the crash sight, the plane bounced off one hill before hitting the side of another.   Not much left of the plane.  They said most of the plane is the size of your fist spread over 500 yards.

EDIT:
The military has sent in their crash team and said they have a month to find the cause of the crash.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#16]
The crash was about 45-60 minutes from Hermiston, and about 30 minutes from Walulla.  

BTW:  Dont have a 50 cal rifle.   But sometimes....  When the pass 100 ft over your head to screw with you while you're driving tractor.   It sounds like an AC/DC concert front row....  Still wouldn't wish that on anybody.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#17]
They have a flight path that brings them through the Hood RIver Valley about 5 times a week in the summer. Always a treat when up in the hills to have them rip over head!

Godspeed flyer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top