User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/3/2006 2:15:17 PM EDT
Lethal ‘flying gunships’ returning to Iraq
AP: Armed airplanes used in Vietnam War secretly moved to Iraqi base

Updated: 5:24 p.m. ET March 3, 2006
AN AIR BASE IN IRAQ - The U.S. Air Force has begun moving heavily armed AC-130 airplanes — the lethal “flying gunships” of the Vietnam War — to a base in Iraq as commanders search for new tools to counter the Iraqi resistance, The Associated Press has learned.

An AP reporter saw the first of the turboprop-driven aircraft after it landed at the airfield this week. Four are expected.

The Iraq-based special forces command controlling the AC-130s, the Combined Joint Special Operations Task Force, said it would have no comment on the deployment. But the plan’s general outline was confirmed by other Air Force officers, speaking anonymously because of the sensitivity of the subject.

Military officials warned that disclosing the location of the aircraft’s new base would violate security provisions of rules governing media access to U.S. installations.

The four-engine gunships, whose home base is Hurlburt Field in Florida, have operated over Iraq before, flying from airfields elsewhere in the region. In November 2004, air-to-ground fire from AC-130s supported the U.S. attack that took the western city of Fallujah from insurgents.

Basing the planes inside Iraq will cut hours off their transit time to reach suspected targets.

Planes heavily armed
The left-side ports of the AC-130s, 98-foot-long planes that can slowly circle over a target for long periods, bristle with a potent arsenal — 40 mm cannon that can fire 120 rounds per minute, and big 105 mm cannon, normally a field artillery weapon. The plane’s latest version, the AC-130U, known as “Spooky,” also carries Gatling gun-type 20 mm cannon.

The gunships were designed primarily for battlefield use to place saturated fire on massed troops. In Vietnam, for example, they were deployed against North Vietnamese supply convoys along the Ho Chi Minh Trail, where the Air Force claimed to have destroyed 10,000 trucks over several years.

The use of AC-130s in places like Fallujah, urban settings where insurgents may be among crowded populations of noncombatants, has been criticized by human rights groups.

The slow-moving AC-130s also offer an intelligence gathering advantage in the Iraq fight: sophisticated long-range video, infrared and radar sensors.

American commanders are marshaling all available tools to detect the Iraqi insurgents’ stealthy operations, especially at night, when they plant roadside bombs targeting American road patrols and convoys.

The Air Force’s senior tactical commander in Iraq said the AC-130 can be both a high-intensity and low-intensity weapon.

“It’s got tons of guns, and it’s got all kinds of stuff on it that can be applied to the problems you have,” Brig. Gen. Frank Gorenc, who refused to discuss the current AC-130 deployment, said in an AP interview.

That “stuff” includes “the ability to take these high-tech pods and to use them to find guys planting (bombs) and to find other nefarious activity,” he said.

The Predator drone — the MQ-1 unmanned aerial vehicle — has been a reconnaissance workhorse in Iraq, but Air Force officers say they don’t have enough to meet demand for missions. The fiscal 2007 Defense Department budget proposed last month by the Bush administration envisions spending $1.6 billion on additional reconnaissance drones.

LINK
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:16:59 PM EDT
[#1]
That's not a good sign.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:20:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Why the fuck did they every leave???

They should have been raining down hell on those fuckers for the last three years!!!!!

Christ, yeah I am an armchair commando, so tell me why they pulled them out in the first place????

Has the millitary brass been pulling punched the whole time or what?

Tell me why I should not be pissed.  Seems like with support from the Specters the troops would be much better off.

grrrrr......
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:21:11 PM EDT
[#3]
is that news?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#4]
If they get on station faster and can stay longer, it sounds like good news to me
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#5]
i love those things.. but the rats are in the crawlspaces and walls. are they gonna get them to hurd up in large groups to facilate the use of this technology? What we need is some sort of DNA sensitive hunting hunter-killer flying microbots that can be relased in an urbarn area and relentlessly search out and destroy these pests...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:27:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

They should have been raining down hell on those fuckers for the last three years!!!!!

Christ, yeah I am an armchair commando, so tell me why they pulled them out in the first place????

Tell me why I should not be pissed.  Seems like with support from the Specters the troops would be much better off.

grrrrr......

They never 'left' - previously the AF had them based outside the theatre...

Now things are 'ok' enough that they can be based IN theatre...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:32:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If they get on station faster and can stay longer, it sounds like good news to me

AC-17?
Oh, FUCK YEAH.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:35:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

grrrrr......

The article doesn't say they were ever out of the theater. Just that they're being based inside Iraq.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

grrrrr......

They never 'left' - previously the AF had them based outside the theatre...

Now things are 'ok' enough that they can be based IN theatre...

But were they being used????

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#11]
They were being used 2003-2004 time frame when I was in Baghdad.
Great weapon , cause terror to those on the ground. We would go to a safe watching distance and get on the roof top and would be amazed to see it rain round after round for a hour on the BG. "Would suck to be them"

Boom........Boom   (First 'Boom' was the cannon firing, second'Boom' was the shell hitting the ground ,exploding.)

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Not so fucking secret now, is it?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not so fucking secret now, is it?

\

if we here in the states think this was a secret we have got to be kidding our selves.

more than likley the ac-130s were based in kuwait or qatar and there is a shit load of terrorists that can watch thoses planes moving in and out. and report back to iraq that their comming.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
i love those things.. but the rats are in the crawlspaces and walls. are they gonna get them to hurd up in large groups to facilate the use of this technology? What we need is some sort of DNA sensitive hunting hunter-killer flying microbots that can be relased in an urbarn area and relentlessly search out and destroy these pests...

I believe it is called white phosphorus.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Probably getting ready to hit Iran in the near future.
These things take time.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Great weapon , cause terror to those on the ground. We would go to a safe watching distance and get on the roof top and would be amazed to see it rain round after round for a hour on the BG. "Would suck to be them"

Boom........Boom   (First 'Boom' was the cannon firing, second'Boom' was the shell hitting the ground ,exploding.)

That's what I am saying....Why did they take them out???  I know the article mentiones worries about civilians getting hit...but hell...surely there are advantageous times to use them....

I mean to take this weapon out of service puts more troops at risk.  To me it is not using all your weapons to take the fullest advantage.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#17]
My response was to the post that thought they had not been used..

This artical is about them being stationed in Iraq full time rather than flying in from some where else.

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I am saying....Why did they take them out???  I know the article mentiones worries about civilians getting hit...but hell...surely there are advantageous times to use them....

I mean to take this weapon out of service puts more troops at risk.  To me it is not using all your weapons to take the fullest advantage.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:20:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I will sleep better knowing they are here.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Unleash the "Lead curtain".  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:49:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AC-17?
Oh, FUCK YEAH.  

Just the mention of that brings warm feelings to my heart
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

One of those rare moments when you can really feel great about how your tax dollars are spent.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#22]
A 105...?!...Damn, I'm out of the loop.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:55:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Iran is only a stones throw from Iraq. Stock up Boys! It's time to turn the sky, HELL FIRE RED
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#24]

the Iraqi resistance

I love how they call them "resistance" when they are nothing more than murdering scum.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Nothing unusual there.  

Those things are deployed somewhere most of the time anyway.  

Just another tool in the toolbox.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:09:06 PM EDT
[#26]
How pinpoint can it strike? Whats the margin of error with the gatling gun?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

grrrrr......

+ 100000
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#28]
The Hurlburt base is literally in my backyard..they've been doing sorties every night for weeks. Have'nt heard a peep from them since last weekend. They are ready for whatever mission is about to take place..evidently, at night.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:19:24 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The xxx base is literally in my backyard..they've been doing sorties every night for weeks. Have'nt heard a peep from them since last weekend. They are ready for whatever mission is about to take place..evidently, at night.

Good job posting the location.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#30]
I would love to fly those.  Besides, it is 4 engine turbine time!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The xxx base is literally in my backyard..they've been doing sorties every night for weeks. Have'nt heard a peep from them since last weekend. They are ready for whatever mission is about to take place..evidently, at night.

It's not a secret
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:25:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not a secret

+1

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:25:30 PM EDT
[#33]
New or out of the ordinary can be an OPSEC indicator that a particular unit is getting ready for a specific tasking or mission.   Just like when half of the Pentagon orders pizza at 11PM.

Some knucklehead halfway around the world might be finding out about his impending doom through your post...or maybe not.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
The Hurlburt base is literally in my backyard..they've been doing sorties every night for weeks. Have'nt heard a peep from them since last weekend. They are ready for whatever mission is about to take place..evidently, at night.

I take it you live in Navarre, my backyard borders the Eglin range.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not a secret

+1

img128.imageshack.us/img128/3618/ac130s0cq.jpg

If you ever post the location of another military installation this is what will happen to you.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:49:18 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not a secret

+1

img128.imageshack.us/img128/3618/ac130s0cq.jpg

+2
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:00:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Why use those when you can have some fun and use these instead.....

http://www.pureluckdesign.com/videos/Dillon%20minigun%20demo.wmv

Can someone make this hot....

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:01:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Umm, could we get real with the "opsec" "eyes only, no foreign nationals", "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you" arm chair commando bullshit? This shit ain't exactly top secret.  The USAF's operational B2's are based at Whiteman AFB in Knob Knoster, MO, just south of I-70.

<waits for a knock on the door and a trip to Leavenwoth.>
<still waiting>
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:40:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Looks like a sign that things are going to get much worse for the terrorists, when the good guys can start bringing such resources in closer. This gives them, another 5-6 hours loiter time for targets in the Sunni Triangle?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:35:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Iran guys, Iran.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:41:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Its better to have them around and not need them than to need them and they are not around. Just think they wanted them in Somolia but could not get them. At least they are on site now.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:57:52 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Its better to have them around and not need them than to need them and they are not around. Just think they wanted them in Somolia but could not get them. At least they are on site now.

We had one in Somalia.... The crew decided to shot itself down....
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:17:48 AM EDT
[#44]
The article is wrong about the guns. The AC-130U has the 105 howizter/ 40MM bofors and a GE 25 electric gatling. The older AC-130H which is still in use had the twin 20mm's removed several years ago while I was stationed at Hurlburt Field. Yes, I performed maintence on those bastards and actually went up on live fire training missions. Was real cool to see the targets on the sensor operators screen in the booth .
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:43:37 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Looks like a sign that things are going to get much worse for the terrorists, when the good guys can start bringing such resources in closer. This gives them, another 5-6 hours loiter time for targets in the Sunni Triangle?

My guess is that they will spend a lot of time backing up Iraqi battalions.  A lot of those battalions are going to be operating on their own but the Iraqi Army completely lacks air power.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:56:19 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Umm, could we get real with the "opsec" "eyes only, no foreign nationals", "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you" arm chair commando bullshit? This shit ain't exactly top secret.  The USAF's operational B2's are based at Whiteman AFB in Knob Knoster, MO, just south of I-70.

<waits for a knock on the door and a trip to Leavenwoth.>

Your an idot.  We know, now how many times are you going to prove it to us before you stop?  

Let me break it down for you.  Everyone knows the school buses run in the morning.  Does that mean you post on the internet were sex offender can see what time and location your child gets on the bus?.  After all everyone knows were the bus stops right.  Whats the difference, you are making the informtion more available for them and alerting them to possible value targets.
<still waiting>

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:03:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:10:49 AM EDT
[#48]
cant have an thread about gunships w/o pics!

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:19:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Sorry for the brief hijack here but...

You OPSEC whiners are part of the reason why this war has lasted this long.

We are not doing very well in contesting the enemies Media/Arms combined campaign because of stupid rules made during the Cold War- or even World War II.

The media will not willingly publish any US military success story, and they collaborate with the terrorists and embellish their successes.

To effectively counter this we MUST accept the risk and allow our soldiers to speek openly of what they are doing that works.  And how the terrorists ARE being eliminated.

Odds are the terrorists cannot counter anything we do anyways- they are not the Soviet Union and cannot actually build things to counter what we do.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:20:24 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
New or out of the ordinary can be an OPSEC indicator that a particular unit is getting ready for a specific tasking or mission.   Just like when half of the Pentagon orders pizza at 11PM.

Some knucklehead halfway around the world might be finding out about his impending doom through your post...or maybe not.

Chris

Nahh..not since they did the video of the Blu-82 testing a few years ago, if you remember, they actually had news crews and tons of media filming the event. Which is right here. There's nothing "secret" about it, especially since the lamestream AP is apparently getting a heads up on operations and is allowed to publish it. I never worry that which we know about...it's the true secret things we do that should never be released.

Anyone within 50 miles of here knows whats up, we've lived here for 25 years. We know when it's about time to "go".
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top