Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 10:27:48 AM EDT
I have a question about forming aircraft grade birch plywood. Will the plywood bend half way around a two inch pipe? I dont know anything about these materials but i'm working on a project and i think this would be the perfect stuff. The plywood i'm looking at is 1/32 thick. I'm building a replica RPG-2/B-40 rocket launcher and the plywood will be used as heatshields. Original heat shields are not available anywhere. If I wet the ply wood, form it to the pipe and clamp it, when it drys will it have taken that form? Thats the main question right there is keeping the form. Thanks.  McM

In the below picture the top one is what i'm replicating:

And this is what i have so far:

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I used to sniff modeling glue.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:34:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, I can't answer your question, but I will say thats pretty cool

Whose are the ones in the top pic?

I'd love to get an RPG-7, either demilled real one, or good copy....
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:36:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have a question about forming aircraft grade birch plywood. Will the plywood bend half way around a two inch pipe? I dont know anything about these materials but i'm working on a project and i think this would be the perfect stuff. The plywood i'm looking at is 1/32 thick. I'm building a replica RPG-2/B-40 rocket launcher and the plywood will be used as heatshields. Original heat shields are not available anywhere. If I wet the ply wood, form it to the pipe and clamp it, when it drys will it have taken that form? Thats the main question right there is keeping the form. Thanks.  McM

Get the plywood wet (preferrably by steaming) and then clamp it to your form. Yes it will then hold it's shape. Watch the grain of the outer layers, curve with the grain or else you will split the wood. Also watch getting it too wet that it delaminates.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:42:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get the plywood wet (preferrably by steaming) and then clamp it to your form. Yes it will then hold it's shape. Watch the grain of the outer layers, curve with the grain or else you will split the wood. Also watch getting it too wet that it delaminates.

Yup. Steam it rather than soak it...Cool project...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:01:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Will steam from a tea kettle be enough? I found a piece of this plywood online, It measures 1/32x12x24, I'm guessing the grain will go the way of the 24 inches, so i would be cool right? Thanks for the replies fella's. McM

Here's a pic of my Bulgarian RPG-7, The rockets are for the RPG-2 which i am building the launcher

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:38:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Soak it in hot ammonia and water. You can wrap it around a pencil, just go slow and keep it wet.

Yes i play with toy airplanes
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#7]
as said.... get it VERY wet and VERY hot, preferably soaking in hot (not boiling) water for a good 1/2 hour or so.  then SLOWLY wrap it around your form.  

personally I would suggest doing 2 180 degree pieces instead of trying to go the full 360.

i used to build RC planes all through high school.  the key with this shit is time and patience.  if you try to go too fast or do too much at once you will fuck it up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top