Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/3/2006 9:50:23 AM EDT
I'm going back in tomorrow with all my paperwork and joining up. Going to take off next semester of college and go to basic training and combat school... I can't wait
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Thank you.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Listen to everything they tell you. Recruiters are some of the most decent honest men on God's green earth.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:54:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Anything not in writing is not guaranteed. Remember that.

Enjoy the Island, and thank you. We need more young men like you.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:57:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm sorry.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Sweet. Hope you are in good shape.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:02:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Run.  Run like hell.

Stay in school.

Recruiters are lying SOBs.

...and I'm not just saying that because I was kicked out of Recruiter School for making non-politically correct sexist comments.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:06:00 AM EDT
[#8]
What is wrong with ROTC?  Have you looked at that?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:07:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for your service, and best of luck while you are in.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:09:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I'm wierd and I want to go to basic, dont want to take the easy way out
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Good for you.
Take care.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:40:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Best of luck.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:42:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good thinking

At least this way you will actually work for your paychecks
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats a slap in the face to all of us who are in ROTC. You don't know what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:44:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Listen to everything they tell you. Recruiters are some of the most decent honest men on God's green earth.

[
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good thinking

At least this way you will actually work for your paychecks

The small ones, anyway.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:47:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Enlisted is where the funs at! Good luck its gonna be fun! (well maybe after you graduate )
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:55:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats a slap in the face to all of us who are in ROTC. You don't know what you are talking about.

Sounds like something an enlisted recruiter would say, like when an Army recruiter told me the Army has more boats than the Navy...

Yeah, but none of the Army's boats run on nuclear power.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:59:19 AM EDT
[#19]
True story:

Back in June of '88, I was walking up to the Marine recruiter's office.  The navy's office was adjacent to it, and they had a bumper sticker in the window that proclaimed "Sailors have more fun".

While the Marine recruiter was selling the Marine Corps to me, I pointed out that his rival recruiter asserted that "Sailors have more fun".

Without missing a beat, he said, "Yeah.......with each other".  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

[

+1 billion

But we have all been there, and nothing we say will convince you otherwise, so good luck buddy!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#21]
ROTC will not save you from Marine basic training.  My neighbor ahd a 40 year old brother who was a Warrant Officer inthe Navy.  The Navy was dropping his specialty buth e MArines were not so he trandferred to the Marines and wentthrough boot camp at age 40.  He thought it funny that the DI's would yell and scream at him and finish every tirade with a nice and proper "SIR!" as he outranked them.

Everybody who joins the Marines goes though boot camp.   Any Marines here who would have respected an officer who hadn't proved himself worthy to be called a Marine first?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:16:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Hopefully your program is going to pay you E-5 while in school and pay for your tuition after completion in exchange for a 4-6 year commission.

If I had to do it again, that is what I would do.  This program was offered back in my day.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
ROTC will not save you from Marine basic training.  My neighbor ahd a 40 year old brother who was a Warrant Officer inthe Navy.  The Navy was dropping his specialty buth e MArines were not so he trandferred to the Marines and wentthrough boot camp at age 40.  He thought it funny that the DI's would yell and scream at him and finish every tirade with a nice and proper "SIR!" as he outranked them.

Everybody who joins the Marines goes though boot camp.   Any Marines here who would have respected an officer who hadn't proved himself worthy to be called a Marine first?

Marines are Marines.  Officers just get paid more, have better benefits, and take the leadership role.  Marine pilots wear camo on their helmets to pay homage to their roots in the infantry.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:22:44 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Everybody who joins the Marines goes though boot camp. Any Marines here who would have respected an officer who hadn't proved himself worthy to be called a Marine first?

Officers go to Quantico, Enlisted men go to San Diego or Paris Island.
Becoming a USMC officer is no walk in the park, no matter what way you take it.
Your recruiter just wanted to fill his quota.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:25:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Heh heh.  The Major standing behind me is going on a tirade right now about this..
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:32:47 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was a joke, I fully respect all those in ROTC, its just not for me
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:40:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Bad time to enlist IMO
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:48:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Thank you for joining the Department of the Navy.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We need more people like you.  Thank you and good luck.  I just wanted to make sure you finish school one day.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:52:07 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Yeah, the men's department.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 Gunny!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ROTC is in no way the easy way out.  I'm in AF, so I can't speak for the Marines, but when I went through AF field training (like ROTC basic)  I had guys in my flight who were prior E.  EVERY single one of them said that ROTC field training was tougher than enlisted basic.  Physically the demands are very similar, but the hard part of ROTC is that they place demands on the mind as well.  When you're enlisted all you need to do to survive is shut up and make like a sponge.  Learn everything they throw at you and do it well.  In ROTC you are already expected to know everything (that's why you do 2 years of ROTC before you go to FT)  they challenge you to make decisions under incredible stress and the responsibility is on YOU to accomplish the mission.

ROTC is every bit as difficult as enlisted, PLUS a whole lot more.  That is why the reward is so much greater when you finish.

I urge you to reconsider enlisting.  I applaud you for wanting to serve, but I think that you are giving up a great opportunity by leaving school to enlist.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:08:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Good thing you didn't join the army, they decided that bootcamp now needs to be kinder and gentler.
I wouldn't want to fight next to people who are not 100% into being a soldier.

http://forums.military.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/2681962206/m/2040069150001
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:12:09 PM EDT
[#35]
AF any basic enlisted or Officer tough!!  

How was your bike ride anyways??
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:20:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So here we have a Jarhead who says that the Marines are NOT a part of the Navy.

Misinformation about the Marine Corps-edit original post.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=442182

Semper Fi Mac
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:23:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Being a Marine isn't something you do.  It is something you become.

Good luck

Thank you
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:23:04 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

To become an officer of Marines you'd still have to go through OCS and TBS, which are by no means the easy way out.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:30:27 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Hell...if he's not...he will be in 3 months.

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#40]
As my dear father said to me, "You fucking idiot! Are you just stupid? Waht the fuck is wrong with you?!" He was so right. Enjoy your military experience.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
AF any basic enlisted or Officer tough!!  

How was your bike ride anyways??

Thanks smartass.  The bike is a thing of the distant past.  We do pushups, situps and run like everyone else.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:39:07 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell...if he's not...he will be in 3 months.

No Expert

Just say no to PCP!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:40:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Im planning to do the same, well the USMCR, if I can get my act together and lose some weight.

I might wait to start boot after summer, though.

How long does it take from the Boot to the end onf 03XX training?

Anoughter Question.

Ok if Im reserve, can a reenlist as Active duty in the middle of  my reserve enlistment?

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:46:14 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Good thing you didn't join the army, they decided that bootcamp now needs to be kinder and gentler.
I wouldn't want to fight next to people who are not 100% into being a soldier.

What are you? 15 or so? Because I have a little secret for you, Marines are 100% not into being a soldier.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:57:12 PM EDT
[#45]
"MUSTANG MARINES" are by far the best officers!!! They command far greater respect (on the average) than those who were not prior enlisted by the MARINES they lead.

Now this is not a knock to MARINE OCS and the Basic School as these MUSTANG MARINES must also attend these courses as well. These officers earn their bars and I believe that MARINE officers are far more prepared to lead men in combat than the other services.......just don't give them a compass!!!

ROTC is in no way the easy way out. I'm in AF, so I can't speak for the Marines, but when I went through AF field training (like ROTC basic) I had guys in my flight who were prior E. EVERY single one of them said that ROTC field training was tougher than enlisted basic. Physically the demands are very similar, but the hard part of ROTC is that they place demands on the mind as well. When you're enlisted all you need to do to survive is shut up and make like a sponge. Learn everything they throw at you and do it well. In ROTC you are already expected to know everything (that's why you do 2 years of ROTC before you go to FT) they challenge you to make decisions under incredible stress and the responsibility is on YOU to accomplish the mission.

ROTC is every bit as difficult as enlisted, PLUS a whole lot more. That is why the reward is so much greater when you finish.

I urge you to reconsider enlisting. I applaud you for wanting to serve, but I think that you are giving up a great opportunity by leaving school to enlist.

No offense to this guy, but "your" enlisted guys who said it was tough were comparing it to AF bootcamp.........  Enough said there!!!!

Semper Fi,
M60-E4

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So here we have a Jarhead who says that the Marines are NOT a part of the Navy.

Misinformation about the Marine Corps-edit original post.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=442182

Semper Fi Mac

Here we go again.  The Department of the Navy is a "military department."  It contains two military "services", the U.S. Navy and the U.S. Marine Corps.  They are each independent military services that belong to the same military department.  Read the National Security Act of 1947.  IM me if you need help with the big words.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:19:26 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted: No offense to this guy, but "your" enlisted guys who said it was tough were comparing it to AF bootcamp.........  Enough said there!!!!

Semper Fi,
M60-E4

Hey now, we all can't be Marines!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Good deal!

Semper Fi future Devil Dawg!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:23:16 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
"MUSTANG MARINES" are by far the best officers!!! They command far greater respect (on the average) than those who were not prior enlisted by the MARINES they lead.

Now this is not a knock to MARINE OCS and the Basic School as these MUSTANG MARINES must also attend these courses as well. These officers earn their bars and I believe that MARINE officers are far more prepared to lead men in combat than the other services.......just don't give them a compass!!!

ROTC is in no way the easy way out. I'm in AF, so I can't speak for the Marines, but when I went through AF field training (like ROTC basic) I had guys in my flight who were prior E. EVERY single one of them said that ROTC field training was tougher than enlisted basic. Physically the demands are very similar, but the hard part of ROTC is that they place demands on the mind as well. When you're enlisted all you need to do to survive is shut up and make like a sponge. Learn everything they throw at you and do it well. In ROTC you are already expected to know everything (that's why you do 2 years of ROTC before you go to FT) they challenge you to make decisions under incredible stress and the responsibility is on YOU to accomplish the mission.

ROTC is every bit as difficult as enlisted, PLUS a whole lot more. That is why the reward is so much greater when you finish.

I urge you to reconsider enlisting. I applaud you for wanting to serve, but I think that you are giving up a great opportunity by leaving school to enlist.

No offense to this guy, but "your" enlisted guys who said it was tough were comparing it to AF bootcamp.........  Enough said there!!!!

+1

Me walking to the fridge to get a beer is very tough when compared to AF bootcamp
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:20:47 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bad time to enlist IMO

It's like a car wreck with a body hanging out of the shattered windshield: I just can't turn away.

Do tell. Explain to us why this is a worse time to enlist than any other.

The fact that this is on page 3 today just after being posted says more than I could ever say.

If you want to enlist ,  re-enlist, or join a contracter group , go for it  amigo
but don't tell the young and stupid to do it.

Like I said,  bad time to enlist. IMO

Fact is most of the posters here will never join or never serve a day in their life, they will let others die for the "cause" a thank you is some weak shit for that in my book.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top