Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/3/2006 7:29:30 AM EDT
I don't know, it might be good, but the lead character looks stupid in the clown mask.

Maybe Nat will get naked in it and save it.
-------------------------------------------

www/hollywoodreporter.com
V for Vendetta

By John DeFore

Bottom line: Wachowskis leave "The Matrix" for a compellingly stripped-down dystopia and a loud "fight the power" message.

AUSTIN -- In a political environment that can brew controversy out of allegorical children's fables or a documentary about penguins, it is hard to imagine the intensity of feeling that will greet "V for Vendetta," a movie whose heroes are terrorists. One foresees news talk shows in which red-faced pundits denounce the filmmakers and call for boycotts. Given a film as entertaining and solidly crafted as this one, such attention could turn into strong boxoffice.

Of course, plenty of films -- particularly those set in dystopian futures like this one -- identify with revolutionaries. But most put heavy sci-fi clothing on their brave new worlds, while "V" takes pains to tie its reality to our own. Although based on a comic book, it isn't as heavily stylized as a superhero movie. Its score and production design, both rich and inviting, are heightened without suggesting that this near-future London is an outright fantasy, though the new government, a restrictive state led by John Hurt's Sutler, is draped in some awfully Nazi-ish iconography.

If the film's look and feel refuse to flee from the real world, its dialogue takes every chance to connect to it. We are told about the recent past, that "America's war grew worse and worse, and eventually came to London." Hot-button terms like "rendition" are sprinkled about; dissidents are handled as in a third-world dictatorship; and our hero (who calls himself V) lectures citizens who have surrendered their liberties to a government that promised to protect them from terrorism.

As V, Hugo Weaving has the unenviable task of playing the entire film behind an immobile mask. He rises to the challenge, bringing the character to life with body language and his sonorously nimble voice.

V has a flair for the theatrical. He introduces himself to London on Guy Fawkes Day with fireworks and a symbolic bombing, then hijacks a television broadcast to announce that he will return a year later to destroy the Houses of Parliament. He suggests that citizens who feel oppressed by their rulers should join him there. And then he's gone, leaving some very anxious politicians in his wake.

The viewer's proxy here is Evey (Natalie Portman), who accidentally becomes a part of V's plans. With her, we work through many of the expected reactions to V's approach -- and if she eventually comes around to his way of thinking, the film certainly doesn't present the choice as an uncomplicated one. The filmmakers (Andy and Larry Wachowski adapting the screenplay, James McTeigue at the helm) are clearly on the vigilante's side, but they give viewers room to question his motives and methods: Has he psychologically programd Evey? Is the city of London about to become a war zone simply because V has a personal grudge? The serious tone "Vendetta" takes encourages such moral nitpicking.

Although some marketing materials aim to position this as an action film, viewers expecting a thrill ride might be disappointed. V engages in a couple of satisfying crime-fighting set pieces, but the story is more occupied with mystery and intrigue. Happily, it almost is entirely free of the hollow pomposity that marred the Wachowskis' last two "Matrix" films. Here, Alan Moore's graphic novel and the history of real-world oppressive governments is more than enough, leaving no need for the screenwriters to invent hokey mythologies and plenty of room to fantasize about revolution.

V FOR VENDETTA
Warner Bros. Pictures
Silver Pictures
Credits:
Director: James McTeigue
Screenwriters: Andy Wachowski & Larry Wachowski
Based on the graphic novel by: Alan Moore and David Lloyd
producers: Grant Hill, Joel Silver, Andy Wachowski, Larry Wachowski
Executive producer: Benjamin Waisbren
Director of photography: Adrian Biddle
Production designer: Owen Paterson
Music: Dario Marianelli
Co-producers: Roberto Malerba, Henning Molfenter, Charlie Woebcken
Costume designer: Sammy Sheldon
Editor: Martin Walsh
Cast:
Evey Hammond: Natalie Portman
V: Hugo Weaving
Finch: Stephen Rea
Sutler: John Hurt
Prothero: Roger Allam
Gordon Deitrich: Stephen Fry
Creedy: Tim Pigott-Smith
MPAA rating R
Running time -- 131 minutes
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:30:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow, she's ugly
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:33:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll be going see it, looks like it's gonna kick magor ass
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:33:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm going to have to see this one. Very rarely does a movie trailer catch my attention, and those that do I give a chance to.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:34:14 AM EDT
[#4]
As far as I've read it's a "Right-Wing Christian Theocracy" fear-flick based on a graphic novel (comic book) in which it was the LEFTIST government of Britain that was the villain.

I expect it to be preachey as hell, but the tagline "The people shouldn't fear their government.  The government should fear the people" is intriguing enough that I may go see it.

Hopefully it won't piss me off to the point I feel like walking out.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:36:46 AM EDT
[#5]
The whole clown/French-douchebag-gone-retarded mask is stupid as hell, but the premise is very cool.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:39:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Havn't seen a movie in a while. Might have to check it out.

+1 on Nat getting naked. I would deffinately see it then.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:42:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Have you seen the SNL promo, looks like SHTF on her face. Talk about whoring it up.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:49:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I read V for Vendetta when it first came out in 1988.  It is one of the only comic book series that I still own.  Brilliant writing.  I will be in the theater to see it on opening night.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:50:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like another idiotic leftist Hollywood bomb.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:57:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yup.  V for Vendetta is about a torturing, murderous, brainwashing, evil terrorist who is somehow justified in his crimes because he fights against a fascist regime.  BTW, the writors based their "fascist regime" off of their views of "ultra-conservative" Margaret Thatcher.

How about a quote from the creators of the books:
'Creators Moore and Lloyd were influenced by the times in which they lived. "Our attitude towards Margaret Thatcher's ultra-conservative government was one of the driving forces behind the fascist British police state we created in Vendetta," Lloyd explains. "The destruction of this system was V's primary reason for existence."'
www.rottentomatoes.com/m/v_for_vendetta/about.php

V is nothing more than a terrorist hippie who seeks to create a utopia of people living without government.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:58:51 AM EDT
[#11]
The mask is a Guy Fawkes mask, and he plotted to blow up the Houses of Parliament.
I will for sure see this and the Leftist Guberment doesn't sound too far off the Labour Guberment. Biometric ID cards that must be carried at all times, micro chips in your number plates so they can track where you go and when, and not forgetting your every move being watched by CCTV(Close Circuit Television), this is and willbe coming to a British town near you soon.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:00:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Natalie Portman gets her head shaved in the movie. Saw it on Entertainment tonight a while back.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:04:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

V is nothing more than a terrorist hippie who seeks to create a utopia of people living without government.

What's his ARFCOM screen name.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:09:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Also, the following quote is uneducated:

The viewer's proxy here is Evey (Natalie Portman), who accidentally becomes a part of V's plans. With her, we work through many of the expected reactions to V's approach -- and if she eventually comes around to his way of thinking, the film certainly doesn't present the choice as an uncomplicated one. The filmmakers (Andy and Larry Wachowski adapting the screenplay, James McTeigue at the helm) are clearly on the vigilante's side, but they give viewers room to question his motives and methods: Has he psychologically programd Evey? Is the city of London about to become a war zone simply because V has a personal grudge? The serious tone "Vendetta" takes encourages such moral nitpicking.

There is nothing accidental about Evey becoming part of V's war.  He very deliberately selects and manipulates her.

Yes, London is selected for a war zone because of a grudge (hence "Vendetta" in the title).
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:10:52 AM EDT
[#15]
My problem with the Guy Fawkes mask is the fact that Guy Fawkes was fighting to free British Catholics from oppression, while V is little more than a murdering anarchist.

The creators of V are using the image of Guy Fawkes to further a very corrupt agenda.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Both V for Vendeta and Ultraviolet look interesting...  And as this comeing week is spring break I'll probably go see both,
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:13:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Brother I will have to see it just because (the guy who played Winston in the movie 1984 is in it and up on the telesceen like 1984)

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:17:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Have you seen the SNL promo, looks like SHTF on her face. Talk about whoring it up.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

when was she on snl?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:24:21 PM EDT
[#20]
The graphic novel is good.

I'll see it and hope they don't f%*^k it up too bad.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Natalie Portman is a disgusting skank.  I wouldn't let my dog do her.

The movie might be pretty cool though.  If those two stick to the mold of the original Matrix, it should be almost clear of specific political messages and more of a general story about a nonspecific dictatorship vs. freedom kind of thing.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Natalie Portman gets her pussy shaved in the movie. Saw it on Entertainment tonight a while back.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:28:19 PM EDT
[#23]
It's Hollyweird.

They'll fuck it up.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#24]
6/8 reviews on rottentomatoes.com are positive.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I don't know, it might be good, but the lead character looks stupid in the clown mask.

Hmmm, this movie could be more disturbing than I originally thought...

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#26]
D for DUPE
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:07:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Brother I will have to see it just because (the guy who played Winston in the movie 1984 is in it and up on the telesceen like 1984)

Oh the irony! John Hurt goes from being the poor oppressed Winston Smith to BB himself!

Maybe a small Alien will burst out of his chest.

BTW I think this film will really get the ROP enemy among us whipped up with (even more) hatred for the democratic form of government we live under. Expect more terrorism soon and copycat bomb attacks like in the movie.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
My problem with the Guy Fawkes mask is the fact that Guy Fawkes was fighting to free British Catholics from oppression, while V is little more than a murdering anarchist.

The creators of V are using the image of Guy Fawkes to further a very corrupt agenda.

+1

that is my problem wiith the movie and the reason I more than likely wont see it
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.hollywoodreporter.com/hollywoodreporter/photos/2005/12/vendetta366x156.jpg

Hmmm, this movie could be more disturbing than I originally thought...

home.comcast.net/~bfd750/burgerking_200.jpg

OMGHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:23:52 PM EDT
[#30]
One of the Wachowskis brothers is getting a sex-change operation. Really. That should tell you where they are coming from.

All of us who saw Matrix and bought the DVD are enablers for this continuous Liberal assault. It's our own fault; we are financing our own destruction.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
One of the Wachowskis brothers is getting a sex-change operation. Really. That should tell you where they are coming from.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#33]
I can find better looking chicks without her acne-riddled face at any trailer park.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
The whole clown/French-douchebag-gone-retarded mask is stupid as hell, but the premise is very cool.

Read the comic book  graphic novel.  
The guy behind that mask is a bad-ass motherfucker, so the mask works for him.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#35]
I guess they went from the story's original Left Wing Socialst  Regime to a Right Wing Facist Dictatorship so the audience will feel more comfoatable hating them and seeing them killed. Because of course everyone knows that Socialsts only want the best for the common man while the Facists are Evil incarnate.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.  V for Vendetta is about a torturing, murderous, brainwashing, evil terrorist who is somehow justified in his crimes because he fights against a fascist regime.  BTW, the writors based their "fascist regime" off of their views of "ultra-conservative" Margaret Thatcher.

'Creators Moore and Lloyd were influenced by the times in which they lived. "Our attitude towards Margaret Thatcher's ultra-conservative government was one of the driving forces behind the fascist British police state we created in Vendetta," Lloyd explains. "The destruction of this system was V's primary reason for existence."'

Ultraconservative is just as bad as Ultraleftist.  

They both have no place as the government for "free" people.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh the irony! John Hurt goes from being the poor oppressed Winston Smith to BB himself!

Maybe a small Alien will burst out of his chest.

BTW I think this film will really get the ROP enemy among us whipped up with (even more) hatred for the democratic Republican form of government we live under. Expect more terrorism soon and copycat bomb attacks like in the movie.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:04:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Ok folks......its a movie. If you don't like it,don't go see it.
It doesn't have to be that hard.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:09:46 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I can find better looking chicks without her acne-riddled face at any trailer park.  

Yeah, she's a real dog.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:21:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

The government is good.
The government will help you.
Trust in the government.
The government loves you.

Fucking spare me.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:38:22 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This chart from somethingawful sums it up nicely...

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:04:16 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You obviously didn't read the story creator's words.  They consider Margaret Thatcher as ultraconservative.  Prime Minister Thatcher was conservative, but there was nothing "ultra" about her.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:06:30 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I'll be going see it, looks like it's gonna kick major ass

Sorry had to.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The government is good.
The government will help you.
Trust in the government.
The government loves you.

Fucking spare me.

Go live in a country without government, and then come back and tell me how bad it is to have some government.

In most cases, even a bad government is better than no government.

Besides, I never advocated handing over all personal reponsibility to the government, and you show a severe lack of understanding to have made such an assumption.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:33:16 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

IIRC it is supposed to be a mask of Guy Fawkes, who was the guy who planned to blow up the British Parliment back in the day with a shitload of blackpowder in the basement.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:23:01 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Besides, I never advocated handing over all personal reponsibility to the government anarchy, and you show a severe lack of understanding to have made such an assumption.

Right back at ya.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:13:28 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Besides, I never advocated handing over all personal reponsibility to the government anarchy, and you show a severe lack of understanding to have made such an assumption.

Right back at ya.

You have nothing to send back at me.  You criticized me because I don't like the anarchist message of V.  My coments only criticized anarchy.  Your earlier comments showed nothing but disdain for government.  Now you suggest that you aren't advocating anarchy?

In summary, you're shooting blanks in your big "back at ya" comment.  Come back once you've grown up a little.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
The mask is a Guy Fawkes mask, and he plotted to blow up the Houses of Parliament.
I will for sure see this and the Leftist Guberment doesn't sound too far off the Labour Guberment. Biometric ID cards that must be carried at all times, micro chips in your number plates so they can track where you go and when, and not forgetting your every move being watched by CCTV(Close Circuit Television), this is and willbe coming to a British town near you soon.
www.punkfest.orcon.net.nz/images/bomb_b.jpg

FINALLY - someone else who knew it was a Guy Fawkes mask.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:35:04 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.punkfest.orcon.net.nz/images/bomb_b.jpg

FINALLY - someone else who knew it was a Guy Fawkes mask.

+1
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top