Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 7:05:16 AM EDT
I saw an interesting interview on CNN this morning. Ex-FEMA chief Michael Brown was talking about what went wrong with Katrina.

He says "... there's this mindset in Washington DC, we always have to put a good face on everything... inside the beltway we believe that the public can't handle the truth"

-------------------------------------------------------------------
The video is in the first link in this story:

www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/03/02/katrina.brown/index.html

I know I've always been skeptical of what the media and government says about guns... and here we have a clear statement that Washington's policy is not to tell the truth when they believe the public can't handle it.

I'm not quite sure how a democracy is supposted to operate when the government isn't telling people the truth?  

Make your own conclusions.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:06:45 AM EDT
[#1]
What???  You mean the government has lied to us?

Holy shit!  Man, I'm pissed off now.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:11:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Why the hell is that incompetent dildo Brown still in the public eye?  He should be hiding his face in shame, afraid of being stoned by the public.  He's a pussy who showed his distinct lack of balls and ability to get shit done.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:19:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What???  You mean the government has lied to us?

No, I'm saying that the government has a policy of lying to us and just admitted that policy on video.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:25:03 AM EDT
[#4]
It's true.  What's the issue here?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:26:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why the hell is that incompetent dildo Brown still in the public eye?  He should be hiding his face in shame, afraid of being stoned by the public.  He's a pussy who showed his distinct lack of balls and ability to get shit done.

tell us how ya really feel?  

but,

+1
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:30:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It's true.  What's the issue here?

+1
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:25:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

IMHO Brown was the fall guy in all this-as long as the MSM was pointing the finger at him, Blanco and Nagin, who had primary responsibility after all, were off the hook.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:41:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:41:26 AM EDT
[#9]

the irony being that politicians are generally useless outside being politicians. if these useless skidmarks can "handle" something, the general public (that goes through the rigors of life every day and isn't insulated by private security and special considerations and benefits) can "handle" it.

the only reason bad news would be less troubling to our "leaders" is because they have spent plenty of our tax dollars making contingency plans for themselves, just in case...

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:45:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IMHO Brown was the fall guy in all this-as long as the MSM was pointing the finger at him, Blanco and Nagin, who had primary responsibility after all, were off the hook.

Yeah, over 50% approved of Nagin's handling in the latest poll I saw.

WTF?

Bush also blew it. When he went to the Area shit actually started to get done. When he left it fell apart again.  He should have stayed and overseen the effort. It was a major blunder on his part and if he had just stayed, got things done, he would have looked the hero.

Problem with big gov't is that the bureacracy has a mind of its own. All the little turf wars and bruised egos must be just about impossible to deal with when you are trying to accomplish the mission.  That's why it took the military to finally get something done.

All of that said, there is no way to immediately swoop in and deal with every disaster. It is not possible. You would have to have huge resourcse and man power set up all over the country, just waiting for SHTF. It is not realistic and people have to learn to fend for themselves.
I can just imagine the difficulties in getting anything into the gulf area after Katrina. Roads out, bridges out. Trees and debris everywhere. Poor communications, insufficient air control and resources to do much from air...

People need to be realistic.  It is called a disaster for a reason.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:53:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I saw an interesting interview on CNN this morning. Ex-FEMA chief Michael Brown was talking about what went wrong with Katrina.

He says "... there's this mindset in Washington DC, we always have to put a good face on everything... inside the beltway we believe that the public can't handle the truth"

The video is in the first link in this story:

www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/03/02/katrina.brown/index.html

I know I've always been skeptical of what the media and government says about guns... and here we have a clear statement that Washington's policy is not to tell the truth when they believe the public can't handle it.

I'm not quite sure how a democracy REPUBLIC is supposted to operate when the government isn't telling people the truth?  

Make your own conclusions.

I'm not trying to be a wise ass, but all of us need to understand that we are a Republicbased on specific powers granted to the government by the Constitution.  Yet, consistently people, even those of the best intent, use the word democracy to define the US instead ofRepublic.   Republics, like ours is supposed to be, are the best forms of governments.  Democracies are one of the worst.  Thanks for understanding.

And no the Peoples Republic of China and Korea don't count.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:01:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Poor communications, insufficient air control and resources to do much from air...

There was an AWACS on station from the first afternoon after the storm passed.  And there was a heck of an air plan in place.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, over 50% approved of Nagin's handling in the latest poll I saw.

WTF?

Bush also blew it. When he went to the Area shit actually started to get done. When he left it fell apart again.  He should have stayed and overseen the effort. It was a major blunder on his part and if he had just stayed, got things done, he would have looked the hero.

Problem with big gov't is that the bureacracy has a mind of its own. All the little turf wars and bruised egos must be just about impossible to deal with when you are trying to accomplish the mission.  That's why it took the military to finally get something done.

All of that said, there is no way to immediately swoop in and deal with every disaster. It is not possible. You would have to have huge resourcse and man power set up all over the country, just waiting for SHTF. It is not realistic and people have to learn to fend for themselves.
I can just imagine the difficulties in getting anything into the gulf area after Katrina. Roads out, bridges out. Trees and debris everywhere. Poor communications, insufficient air control and resources to do much from air...

I agree that FEMA could have handled it better, but the MSM immediatly went on the attack against the federal government to give cover to the local (democratic)  and state government.  The NOLA levy board's as corrupt as it gets, and if all that federal money that's been poured into levy board maintenance wouldn't have gone into private pockets, there may have been more time to respond.

My problems with Bush lie elsewhere, not with how Katrina was handled.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

Why ass-rape Democrats when a Republican will do?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Sometimes it's the simple posts that say the most.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
www.geocities.com/jacknicholson_jn/images/jack/fewgood4.jpg

Of course we can't handle the truth.

BC

Some people can handle the truth and Scientology to boot.  

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#17]
The people inside the beltway can't handle reality.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

tell us how ya really feel?  

but,

+1

OKOKOK.

I will.

Decades of graft and corruption in and around NOLA caused a HUGE problem, one which has not been addressed by the MSM, and never will be addressed by the MSM, or the leaches that vote (D) and want to blame Bush and Co for all the world's evils, perceived and real.

There shouldn't have been a problem, because the (D) leaders in the area should have done their job.

HOWEVER, when there WAS a problem, the federal department that only a few years ago would have only been in charge of bringing in dumpsters and bulldozers for cleanup found itself responsible for the safety and welfare of what - 100,000 or more unprepared people?  SO - now the spotlight is on FEMA and, in particular, Brown, the FEMA chief.  At his recent testimony at the congressional hearings (which were held in part to find a scapegoat and escape their own responsibility in the matter), he told congress how he "went to his hotel room and cried himself to sleep at night" because he couldn't get anything done.

I'm sorry, but if you are in charge of making stuff happen, and that stuff isn't happening, you DO NOT go to a hotel room and CRY YOURSELF TO SLEEP!!  Even if you aren't prepared to take on your responsibility (he wasn't but how and why he should have been belongs in another thread entirely).

That should explain my disgust with Brown, I could write lots more about most of the other players involved in the disfunctional response to Katrina.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:20:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

Yep, I agree.  My problem is that when he had a job to do he went to a hotel room and cried himself to sleep.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

Yep, I agree.  My problem is that when he had a job to do he went to a hotel room and cried himself to sleep.

Damn, I wasn't aware of that!  What a punk-assed bitch.  
Didn't Blanco have some emotional breakdown too?  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#21]
The problem really is that way too many Americans DEPEND on the govt to do everytrhing for them. Of course, it's much easier to put the blame on the govt then your own lazy welfare ass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top