Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2006 8:01:10 PM EDT
A good friend of mine is here on a visa, and is working on getting his green card.

He is from a country in Africa where he was only allowed to own 100 shotshells and 200 pellets for his pellet gun per year.

Needles to say he was a bit saggered when I showed him my stash of Q3131A and firearms collection.

He wants to go to the range with me, and also wants to buy some firearms.  

Does anyone know the rules for this?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:02:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Same rules, but he has to prove 90 days residency. Must have this as well as INS card
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#2]
No green card, no guns.

Me and my green card get all the guns I need though!!

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Green card, 90 day residency. easy as pie.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Talk to DK-Prof and IAMLEGEND about this.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:14:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You rang?

People have pretty much already answered the question.

Once he has a green card, it's easy - and he is generally covered by the same rules as a U.S. citizen (but may have to show the FFL some proof of having resided in-state for 90 days).  But with the green card, you are good to go - including getting NFA stuff or FFL licenses.  

Without a greencard, it is still POSSIBLE, but more tricky, and requires a valid hunting license, and a few other things, I believe.  IAMLEGEND knows this better than I.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:16:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You rang?

Once he has a green card, it's easy - and he is generally covered by the same rules as a U.S. citizen (but may have to show the FFL some proof of having resided in-state for 90 days).  But with the green card, you are good to go - including getting NFA stuff or FFL licenses.  

Without a greencard, it is still POSSIBLE, but more tricky, and requires a valid hunting license, and a few other things, I believe.  IAMLEGEND knows this better than I.

Except at the CMP.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:19:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You rang?

Except at the CMP.

Right

That was one of the reasons I used the qualifier "generally" - there can also be some state restrictions.  For example, in Missouri, a non-citizen cannot get a permit to buy a non-C&R handgun.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife has been here for 20 years and still not a citizen, but shes got guns.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:33:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I got my citizenship maybe 10 years ago or more, and a very close freind of mine (we shoot together [or we don't shoot at all]) just got his citizenship this past year.

Thing is, a lot of immigrants are much more appreciative of the way things are in America than most Americans (dispite all the imperfections which once we're here we complain about just like other Americans), because where we're (I'm) from, the only private parties that legally own guns are either in organized crime (that's "local politics" in laymen terms, and that's by no means a joke like we would have about our own politics here) or are very well connected to the local politicians.
I won't even bring up life under communism or the way life is after communism (because outside the big cities, it's still quite third-world'ish compared to how I live in NYC (or how I've seen it anywhere else in the US, first-hand), and not half as fun as when you're out camping).
I'm discounting the immigrants who come here when they're too young to know what life is like outside of the US and Europe, and turn libtard.

Given the above, I'd say I'm all for legal residents sharing in the same gun-owning privledges (eerr, castrated rights) as citizens.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:23:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You rang?

Anyone have any info on this about the hunting license?

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:56:15 AM EDT
[#11]
As of a few years ago in WA, people also had to get an "Alien Firearms Certificate" (I think that was the name of it).  So your state may want to stick its nose in as well.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:43:34 AM EDT
[#12]
A friend of mine has only a press VISA and he owns a shit load of guns.  All you need is a hunting licence and you can own anything.  (For hunting of course)
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#13]
My dad is a resident alien and all he had to do was show proof of residence with utility bills for 90 days.

This was in Oregon.

-Fidel
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:47:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You rang?

Anyone have any info on this about the hunting license?

Yes, I did it this way for a while before my green card went through.  I was a non-resident alien  and non-residents are "generally" not allowed to purchase/possess firearms except with certain exceptions.  One exception is a valid, state issued hunting license.
Interestingly enough, when I first got here a non-resident alien could purchase/possess a firearm without a hunting license.  I bought an HK-91.  The law changed without me knowing it.  Luckily I just happened to have a hunting license or I would have instantly been in violation of the law not by doing anything different but by the law changing out from under me.

Now I am a resident alien and I don't have to worry about any of that stuff.

link to US Code

-----------------------
(d) It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person— (1) is under indictment for, or has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
(2) is a fugitive from justice;
(3) is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802));
(4) has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution;
(5) who, being an alien— (A) is illegally or unlawfully in the United States; or
(B) except as provided in subsection (y)(2), has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa (as that term is defined in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101 (a)(26)));

(y) Provisions Relating to Aliens Admitted Under Nonimmigrant Visas.—
(1) Definitions.— In this subsection—
(A) the term “alien” has the same meaning as in section 101(a)(3) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101 (a)(3)); and
(B) the term “nonimmigrant visa” has the same meaning as in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101 (a)(26)).
(2) Exceptions.— Subsections (d)(5)(B), (g)(5)(B), and (s)(3)(B)(v)(II) do not apply to any alien who has been lawfully admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa, if that alien is—
(A) admitted to the United States for lawful hunting or sporting purposes or is in possession of a hunting license or permit lawfully issued in the United States; (B) an official representative of a foreign government who is—
(i) accredited to the United States Government or the Government’s mission to an international organization having its headquarters in the United States; or
(ii) en route to or from another country to which that alien is accredited;
(C) an official of a foreign government or a distinguished foreign visitor who has been so designated by the Department of State; or
(D) a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business.
-----------------------

So it’s saying it’s illegal for a non-resident alien to have guns UNLESS they fall under the exemptions, one of which is the valid state issued hunting license.

Also, note that your friend is a non-resident alien not a resident alien.  Your thread title makes it sound like you are asking about resident aliens but when you describe his status he is actually a non-resident alien.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:48:38 AM EDT
[#15]
This Green Card holder has errrr,  some guns, also have an NFA item and a C&R license.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:57:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You rang?

Hi DK, hi thedoctors308.

DK, I thought I'd see you in here as soon as I saw the thread title.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top