Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 7:30:36 PM EDT
I know these were medals handed out to animals during WWII for bravery. Does anyone have a link to the animals stories. I know most of the medal winners were pigeons, but some were dogs, horses and even a cat. does anyone have the info on there stories
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:47:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:51:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:54:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Auld_Sapper wrote:
That's the one Mr Happy ! I really must firgure out to do these link fecking things.  There's summit in the BBC archives about this.  They've been running an 'Aminal VC' series.  I believe the last mutt to earn the Dickens Medal before Buster was a Newfoundland hound with a Canadian mob who, during the battle for Hong Kong in WW2, leapt in amongst some wounded Canucks, picked up a Jap grenade that landed in their midst, and ran off with it.  He got it postumately. The grenade went off in his gub.  Worst game of fetch he ever played !

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:59:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like it's called the Dickin Medal, sometimes accidentally referred to as the Dicken Medal or Dickens Medal.

Official site via the PDSA, which awards the medal

Posthumous award in 2002 (dog died of old age before award granted, not in battle)

More about Buster

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top