Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 7:08:27 PM EDT
I have an 11 yr old lab mix, Male and intact.. Very protective.. Inheriting neighbors 2 year old fixed female husky..

My problem is the Lab is very aggressive torwards the female, in my yard and on neutral ground.. How can I introduce them... I either need to get this done or find the Husky a new home.. I need suggestions!!!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#1]
How dominant is the female?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Put them in yard together, let them loose and make sure they don't tear each other up.  Some fighting may ensue, but they need to get their peer structure set up, and they might have to do some fighting to do that.  If they have only been on seperate sides of the fence, then their hostility may be only because of the fence.  Maybe introduce them at first on leashes...........then let them go and see what happens.

No matter what you do, you are going to have to let them together without any protection.  They will set up a chain of command, if you will.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree about having them both leashed and two people bring them together, but don't do it anywhere near home territory. Let them work it out where neither has home turf.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Put them in yard together, let them loose and make sure they don't tear each other up.  Some fighting may ensue, but they need to get their peer structure set up, and they might have to do some fighting to do that.  If they have only been on seperate sides of the fence, then their hostility may be only because of the fence.  Maybe introduce them at first on leashes...........then let them go and see what happens.

No matter what you do, you are going to have to let them together without any protection.  They will set up a chain of command, if you will.

Yeah they'll just assume positions. It's how it worked when we mixed the german shepard and the cocker spaniel ... although ironically enough that cocker spaniel owned him Also maybe if your dog has a crate that is his "home" you can set up the crates in the same room having them in their respective homes so they can get used to being around each other and after a couple of days being cooped up in the same room they might start to get used to each other. (Did this with present dog with addition of new pup)
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Definately have them meet at a neutral place. Is there a dog park local to you?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:16:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm, is this the same poster from a few nights ago? I thought your mix got along with the Husky? What happened?

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I agree about having them both leashed and two people bring them together, but don't do it anywhere near home territory. Let them work it out where neither has home turf.

Yep
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:18:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Ive tried both on a leash. In my garage... Nothing happened... Big aggro from the lab in the driveway, while both on a leash... Now the Lab is never in the garage except for that one time.. Would that be the reason for no aggression in the garage?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:22:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hmmm, is this the same poster from a few nights ago? I thought your mix got along with the Husky? What happened?

Its me... Put them together on the front yard... Jesus... I thought the neighbors would call the cops from the ruckus. Lab is ultra dog aggressive, but pays no attention to her in the neighbors yard... I get ANYWHERE NEAR her and he freaks.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Who's top dog in your house, you or the lab? Sounds like you have other problems.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:19:14 PM EDT
[#12]
More suggestions please... I need to make this work if I can.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Huskys are tough.  A female at two, is going to be a chore.  I have a Husky, and he's my first, last, and only.  Huskys like to dig.  Dig. dig, dig.  She will constantly be trying to figure out the pecking order.  Your Lab may have a tough time with this.  Great dogs, but, IMO, they've got to be the only dog.  They're really curious, about everything.  Tenacious about it, really.  What's at the bottom of the hole?  What's under the carpet? Why's that dog getting attention and I'm not.  What are those people talking about?  Is that something I can eat?  What's that dog doing?  Etc.

After re-reading your initial post: if the Husky won't submit to your Lab, it ain't gonna work.  She's younger, and she'll bust his chops.  That's their nature.  The husky is gonna want to be the dominant one.

Just my expirience, which, with this, is just something typed on the internet........

I'd take her if I was closer.  Dammit!  No!  No, I can't.  No more Huskys.

I'm sorry, you're in a bad spot.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:56:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Take the two dogs for walks out together and let them sniff each other. Neutral territory is the key.

We dogsitted for some friends awhile back, We walked them together for a week or so, and if we left the house we crated the puppies.  Labs are jealous of their people and the puppy got nipped a few times until it knew who was boss.

If you put a puppy in the back yard with your adult it will get put in its place.    
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:58:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

++++++1
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:41:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:10:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm a husky owner and I have to agree...the Husky will want to be dominant.  Try letting them get to know each other slowly and eventually THEY will figure out who is the boss. (between dogs that is).  Unfortunately you got two hard headed breeds there and it will take a lot of work on your part.

BTW.......Husky's  are the goods and I'd like to have more but god they love to try to get out of the damn yard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top