Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2006 6:44:01 PM EDT
i hope this isnt a dupe--heard it on Rush today  link

Sex change teacher gets job back

To students at a US primary school, she was Mr McBeth. Now, after undergoing a sex change, 71-year-old Lily McBeth will return to the classroom as Miss McBeth.

Despite criticism from parents, the board of Eagleswood Elementary School in New Jersey is standing by its decision to allow McBeth to resume working as a substitute teacher.

After two hours of public debate and a private meeting with McBeth and her lawyer, the board took no action on calls by several parents to bar her from returning to the school where she taught for five years before becoming a woman.

"It was magnificent," McBeth said afterward.

"You saw democracy in action."

McBeth, a retired sales executive who was married for 33 years and had three children, underwent gender re-assignment surgery last year and re-applied for her job under her new name.

McBeth yesterday told the school board and the crowd she loves teaching and children, and looks forward to returning to the classroom.

"This is not something I got into just as a whim," she said.

Several parents said children in the school - which consists of kindergarten through sixth grade - were not old enough to understand the concept of changing one's gender.

"I, as a parent, am appalled to have this issue brought into my child's psychology," Steve Bond said.

Vincent Mustacchio predicted "chaos" at the school when the students learned of McBeth's surgery.

Young children will be confused by the conflicting appearance of McBeth, who has a deep voice and masculine features but otherwise looks like a woman, other parents said.

"I will not allow you to put my kids in a petri dish and hope it all turns out fine," said Mark Schnepp, who had taken out an ad in a local newspaper urging parents to turn out for the meeting.

Several people spoke in support of McBeth, including three transgender people, two former students of McBeth's and a handful of others, saying the fact she is a good teacher was more important than whether she appears as a man or a woman in class.

"There's really nothing to fear because a person is transgender," said Karina Mari, a mother of three school-age children who said she has transgender relatives.

School board lawyer Paul Carr said McBeth was a good teacher who had received favourable reviews during her tenure as a substitute.

Earlier this month, the board voted 4-1 to accept her application to return to the classroom.

AP

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#1]
"ITS A MANNNNN, BABBYYYY!!!"

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=441519

Generally I wouldn't care, but I created the orig. thread.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Mrs. Garrison!

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:47:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:49:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

well, thats a dumbass thread title which is hard to search  

mods, please delete at your leisure  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:51:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank GOD "its" not from California!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:54:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Maybe so, but you didn't have that big scary picture.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#8]
There is something deeply and objectively wrong with those people (Duh! Like you get your crank or boobs hacked off unless there's something deeply wrong with you). AFAIK (and I could be wrong), the surgery reduces the number of snakes in their heads but does not wipe out the nest. I have no idea what the concurrent mental illnesses are, but there must be a boatload of them. Before I let somebody who admits to having a  mental illness so severe that the optimal treatment was having his penis severed teach little kids (if ever), I'd want a lot of testing and assurance. A vote by the school board wouldn't cut it.

It's not that there's a risk of sexual abuse (I would imagine that that's about nil). I don't think I want somebody teaching kids what these folks presumptively believe (that sex is a matter of external genitalia and secondary sex characteristics). Even on unrelated matters, their view of the world has to be pretty odd, just based on their experiences.

There's also the risk of little girls thinking they might grow up to look like that.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow thats really interesting. My high school fired this guy who was prepping for his sex change. He was getting the estrogen shots and was starting to change but he was "let go" or he "left" not really sure what happened... crazy weird story behind it though. He lost the love of his life, his wife, and after that he had this urge to embody her in a way ... so he thought he could do this by becoming a woman through surgery. Wonder if he was fired. Weird.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Mrs. Garrison!

www.comedycentral.com/images/shows/southpark/episodes/season9/sp_m4_910_Garrison.jpg

First damn thing I thought of, too!

oh, and
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#11]
see link above
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top