Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 5:53:12 PM EDT
How long before you get used to 'em??? I got a pair today, not a real heavy prescription but I'm really having a hard time getting used to them. I will admit it's nice to see crystal clear. Are contacts a bitch to get used to???
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Not too long, maybe a week or two max.  I hate them, but cant wear contacts anymore because I am prepping for PRK surgery.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#2]
It doesn't take long. A week at most.

I'd get lasik sugery if i wouldn't freak out when things get near my eyes....
Kinda ruled contacts out
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:55:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Shouldn't even take a week. After that you'll wonder how the hell you were ever able to see a damn thing without them!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#4]
A day or 2 for a perscription change.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:57:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It doesn't take long. A week at most.

I'd get lasik sugery if i wouldn't freak out when things get near my eyes....
Kinda ruled contacts out

+1 on both.

My recruiter says that the USAF will cover the costs of LASIK for me, but I'm a puss with stuff coming in  contact with my eyes.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#6]
It took me about 2 weeks to get used to them.  It was really frustrating for a while because the ground
always looked like it was downhill to the right no matter where i was     I haven't tried contacts yet but Im thinking about checking them out.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#7]
The hardest thing for me was getting used to having something ON my face......but I've been wearing them for 25 yrs now..............contacts were rough at first....Imagine poking yourself in each eye every day.....not really, but sort of.........I don't wear contacts anymore 'cause I'm just too lazy to care for them, and I work in construction, too much dust and debris.....
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:58:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I have wore glasses since I was thirteen, it seemed the normal thing to do if one required such things. As of this year, I no longer require such archaic things, I can see better now than 60+ years ago.

I should add, glasses were only for distance so, this may have some bearing on the matter.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:59:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine are for distance at night...have a hard time with license plates and street signs.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#10]
LASIK
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I tried the progressives, and they drove me crazy.  Everything looked like an hour-glass.  Went to bi-focals and haven't looked back.

I couldn't care less about the lines on the lens.

HH
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I tried the progressives, and they drove me crazy.  Everything looked like an hour-glass.  Went to bi-focals and haven't looked back.

HH

I have acquaintances that have bi / tri-focals with no lines (invisible). Perhaps this may be considered at a later time?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:06:24 PM EDT
[#13]
i've had glasses for over THREE years and i'm still not quite used to them (seeing reflections of lights in the glass, etc).  i don't wear them too regularly though, only for distance (driving and seeing the blackboard during class, etc)
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:06:40 PM EDT
[#14]
The very first time I wore glasses it took about 1 week to get used to it otherwise new scrpits within 48 hours.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:06:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I got used to mine in about three days, although I usually would notice odd reflections when I wore them even after a couple months.

I don't wear them anymore, because I had lost them for a while and now my prescription's too weak. Getting an eye exam on the 13th.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm 29 now, and got glasses when I was 23 or 24, I can't remember.  

Sitting face first into some monitors all day long is taking their toll.  Luckily I'm nearsighted, and can see fine for the most part.  I can drive fine without glasses, but with them on, everything is quite clear.  I usually don't wear them indoors much, or when I'm eating, but I'm used to having them on when I'm outside, or driving.  

Reminds me, I need to get off my duff and get an exam soon, and get a couple new pairs of glasses.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:16:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

My recruiter says that the USAF will cover the costs of LASIK for me....

Their docs have to practice somehow....

I've considered LASIK, but a few of my friends have had complications, ie severe dryness, Halos from lightsources, still having to wear reading glasses, etc.  

So that's turned me off of it for now. Maybe in a few years.

Oh, it usually takes me a week to get used to a new prescription.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Contacts....not at all.  Started wearing them and about a week later I was fine with them.  My doc. told me about these ones that breath more so you can sleep in them so I decided to try them.
After about 6-7 weeks I went back for a check up.  He asked "how often have you been changing them?" about every 3 weeks I replied.(they recomend every 4 weeks) After he told me he seen a little improvement I admited to him that I lied and that I haden't changed them in 6 month.  He told me that if they work go for it.     Give em a try.  If they dont work go back to glasses.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#19]
For those with bi-focals or progressives, do you sight the front post above the lenses/focal line or below?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I got a ticket when I first wore glasses

I was driving at night and I had forgotten to turn on my headlights because everything was soo bright thanks to the new glasses
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:38:58 PM EDT
[#21]
about a week or so.

wear them as much as possible (i.e. rather than only at night), though, or it'll take a lot longer to get used to them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
How long before you get used to 'em??? I got a pair today, not a real heavy prescription but I'm really having a hard time getting used to them. I will admit it's nice to see crystal clear. Are contacts a bitch to get used to???

Get some good soft contacts. You will not go back to glasses.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Except that these days they want to sell you disposables and have you keep them in cash for the rest of your life.  Got tired of contacts after about 2 years.  My prescription has not changed in 10+ years.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Worn the fuckers since I was in second grade. No Drama here.

Learned quickly : DO NOT SKIMP ON LENS QULAITY.

Same as a rifle scope: Good Glass IS worthe the extra cash.

SG
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Worn the fuckers since I was in second grade. No Drama here.

Learned quickly : DO NOT SKIMP ON LENS QULAITY.

Same as a rifle scope: Good Glass IS worthe the extra cash.

SG

I know what you mean, since 1st grade for me
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:13:30 PM EDT
[#26]
It really depends on the person hat
Good luck with the new frames!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

And when you've had your fill of that, get LASIK.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Do you have to take your glasses of f before eating pie?   Really, I wnat to know?  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I got my first glasses in 1965.   In 1979 I went to soft contact lens.   I liked them much better than glasses and had better distance and night vision too.

Over the years, vision deteriorated to around 20/600 nearsighted.  Couldn't see the big E on the eye chart.   Add astigmatism to the right eye and age required reading glasses with the contacs and bifocals for my glasses.   It was still correctible to 20/20 with contacs or glasses but being blind was a real pain.

2005 had LASIK.    I had to go back for a second tweaking but now have 20/15 in the right eye and a slightly nearsighted 20/30 in the left.    I can even read without the reading glasses although they do improve the clarity.   The Dr. said the reading glasses thing is something that cannot be corrected for until someone finds a way to reverse aging.

I could have the left eye adjusted but I would lose some of the current reading ability without reading glasses, so I just will leave it as is.

There is the halo around lights at night.  It has improved with time but is still there.   I also notice a less than perfect circle in my red dot sights.  My night vision is a little more bothered with bright lights and glare but in low light, I can see as well as I ever could.  

The great thing is now I can get up in the night and not fumble for glasses to find my way to the bathroom.  I don't need to wear my watch to bed now because I can read the clock on the dresser.  I can swim and scuba dive without fear of washing out a contac lens.  And I haven't had the problems in dusty environments like I did with contacs.  Another bonus is I can now shoot an iron sighted pistol without special shooting glasses.  Front sight-  WooHoo!

Overall, it wasn't cheap but neither were 40 years of glasses, contacs, and solutions.   I am glad I had it done.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Focus Day & Night contacts

Put them in.

Wear 30 days, non stop.

Remove, replace, repeat.

That simple
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:41:28 PM EDT
[#31]
shouldn't take long at all...couldn't wear contacts because my eyes quit tearing.
 When one doctor gave me a new prescription and it didn't feel right, I went to another and had a second exam and found the first guy was way off.  Even after I told him he wanted me to "get use to them"  but I got new glasses and they fit perfect right away.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:48:47 PM EDT
[#32]
I hate contacts. Had the soft ones. They were nice when they were in, but i was only able to get them in once or twice. I just can't get over putting something on my eye. Besides wearing glasses is nice, don't have to worry about eye protection ever while shooting. But yes get good lenses that are scratch resistant. Plus they are easier for me just to toss on and run in the morning.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#33]
I have bi focals as far as shooting goes, I found it easier to switch to a 12 guage and shoot from the hip.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#34]
learn to love your glasses.  I had Lasik, and I regret it.  I would pay double what I paid for lasik to have my glasses back.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:07:55 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HH

I have acquaintances that have bi / tri-focals with no lines (invisible). Perhaps this may be considered at a later time?

Well, that sounds pretty good!  I really don't mind the lines, but I need to check with the Doc and see what they've got.  Thanks for the heads-up!

HH
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:41:45 PM EDT
[#36]
wearin' goggles since I was kid,,,,funny how shy a couple of dudes at work would'nt wear there's(not cool ya now) a few kind words of encouragement changed that like 'Hey AssHole you ran a redlight' and 'why you giving me Dirty looks youngster,you want some HateBreed?' both of them use there perscription lenses now they just had to get over there Vanity
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:51:32 AM EDT
[#37]
LASIK is not a cure; it is a trade-off of some visual problems for others. I have had glasses for ~15 years now, my optomotrist said they had a LASIK surgeon/referral they could set me up an appointment with, but that it doesn't give you perfect vision. She said that they only really recommend LASIK when you cannot usefully see anything without a pair of glasses or contacts on--that is, when you really have nothing to lose. She never suggested it because she didn't fee that (with my mild prescription) it was worth the risks.....but hey, it's my eyes and money. She didn't say she'd refuse to set it up.

As far as glasses go:
--get medium-sized lenses,
--get anti-reflective coating. This coating is very soft, so you can't ever clean your glasses with paper towels, they will quickly wear the antireflective coating off. Best thing is to buy the disposeable wet lens wipes for cleaning.
--get titanium wire frames.  

At one point I went from larger-lens steel frames to medium-lens ti frames, and the newer glasses seemed to weigh about half as much.
~
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:58:36 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Not long.  A few days.  Keeping track of them was always my problem.

I could never get used to contacts.

ETA:  4000.... wOOt!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:08:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Been wearing glasses for 22 years.  I never got used to them.  Always hated them, but could not see well without them so I dealt with it.  The bridge of my nose is really thin and the pressure from the nosepads has deformed my nose over the years so that I snored (think freight train on a gravel road) heavily.

I just had PRK about just about 3 weeks ago.  My eyes are still healing but I have 20/50 now and am functioning fairly well with out glasses, sleeping better etc.  PRK takes a while to heal up from.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:09:51 AM EDT
[#40]
been nearsighted since 5th grade. Usually takes a couple days to get used to the new prescription.

There IS something that I noticed that was different between optometry places here and those in Asia.

Here in the states, your prescription is your prescription: if your eyes measure -4.75 and -5.00, that is what you will get in your glasses/contacts. But that way, EVERYTHING is REALLY clear and starts to make you dizzy for a few days.

However, in Asia, they usually knock off a bit off your prescription when actually MAKING the lenses or giving you contacts. Instead of giving you the measurement straight up, they'll knock off .1-.25 off the prescription, so that you'll adjust to them much better. You won't be spotting pigeons at 700 yards, but it's good enough for everyday use.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
learn to love your glasses.  I had Lasik, and I regret it.  I would pay double what I paid for lasik to have my glasses back.

Let me guess your issue:

You are over 40 and you now need reading glasses when you didn't before the surgery.  

Well, that is my situation, anyway.  I would rather have it the way it is now than have one eye set for distance and one for reading.

I'm happy as a clam with my LASIK.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:08:11 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

willing to tell us why?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:10:06 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Let me guess your issue:
You are over 40 and you now need reading glasses when you didn't before the surgery.

I'm 31, had astigmatism.  Lasik has ruined my night vision.  I have triple-vision in my right eye.  Sure, I can read an eye chart and score 20/20 in well lit room, but when I watch TV, I can see the credits below the screen.  When I look at signs, there is another just above it, and a third way below it.  I now have to sit within 2' of the computer screen to read text, I used to be able to sit way off.

Quoted:
willing to tell us why?

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=113&t=377708
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:10:09 PM EDT
[#44]
I recently switched to contacts after wearing glasses for 10+ years, and I don't know why I didn't try contacts sooner.  I'm pretty stoked about not having to worry about dirtying / scratching my lenses, wiping them down when it's raining, etc.  

One of these days when I can afford it I'll get LASIK.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

HH

I agree completely.

I never even noticed the lines on my bifocals.

I can see.  Thank God.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:33:37 PM EDT
[#46]
I was so dang nearsighted and astigmatic as a little kid back in the 'sixties that even though I had seen hundreds of airplanes at airshows and on base, on the tarmac, I just reckoned they taxi'd place to place since no way could I see them in the sky.  Same with those creatures called birds, which existed only in the pages of books, right alongside dinosaurs.

When I finally got glasses... "cockebottle" is not even the word!

When the first hard contacts came out I got them at age 14.  My mind was made up to wear them, and like anything you are heart, soul and human will -determined to do, I quickly learned to wear them without a thought for any discomfort.

Now in middle age, I wear the soft lenses (piece of cake!) for distance and reading glasses worn down low on my nose like a quaint librarian (or dignified stateswoman!) half the time for close-up.

What works for one may not be for another.  No thank you to Lasix and bifocals, I have found what works me

Ever heard the definition of optimism?
Walking down an icy flight of steps wearing bifocals.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:40:38 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Wow!  I had wore glasses for almost 20yrs and had Lasik done 1 month ago.  I'm seeing 20/15 and have had zero problems.  Best $2600 I have ever spent.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:44:22 PM EDT
[#48]
took me about 3 days or so... when I got them I didn't think I'd ever get used to them.  My head was swimming.  But it got better after the first day and by the third I didn't notice any more.

Just wear them as much as possible.
Your brain can do some cool things with your eys.  If you had glasses that fliped the image upside down.  Your brain would eventualy correct for it and make it appear to be right side up again.  Sure you'd have head aches till it did but it would do it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow!  I had wore glasses for almost 20yrs and had Lasik done 1 month ago.  I'm seeing 20/15 and have had zero problems.  Best $2600 I have ever spent.

Txgp has one of the worse case scenarios that I have seen so far, but he is 1 in 100 or so, at least according to the stats.  I feel bad for him.  I also think the doc that did his work should pony the fuck up and fix him up right.  

I went with PRK partly because of what he went through, but I really think that the main lesson here is to research your doc.  Just about any asshole can buy a laser and offer surgery.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top