Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/2/2006 11:41:01 AM EDT
This may be a dupe but here it goes anyhow...

IED on dirt road

Thankfully no on was killed but it seems someone was injured....

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:43:07 AM EDT
[#1]
HOLY FUCK
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:49:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow those guy have to face that shit everyday , godbless them.  I hope they kill the fuckers that did it!!!  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn, that was up close and personal. Hope everyone is ok although it looks like most will have some major hearing damage.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:54:06 AM EDT
[#5]
It looked like one of the soldiers was right in the middle of the explosion!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Damn! One guy took it right in the face!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Was the guy who was going "Oh my ears, fuck!" the gunner you think?  Because the driver sounded fine and the guy with the camera was busy talking so it couldn't have been him...
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:59:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Holy Fuckamoly!!!

:O

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:03:15 PM EDT
[#9]
damn

really shows the value of hearing protection

it's no wonder so many WW2 vets had hearing problems, imagine explosions of that size going off all around you for minutes on end....
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#10]
WOW! HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!! I can't even imagine what our guys through, shit like this every day around any corner or some camel jockey with an AK coming out of no where to spray you down with bullets..... our guys don't get the respect they deserve, at least they do in my house.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:07:51 PM EDT
[#11]
No-one was killed?

thats fucking lucky as shit.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Jeeeesssuuss.......I seemed to feel the concussion in my chest sitting here like a pussy in front of my computer. Those guys are fucking hero's....there's no two ways about it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:20:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow, I can't believe how close some of those guys were that walked away from it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:32:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:02:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Meanwhile, Al Gore is in Saudi Arabia giving a speech about how brutal Americans are to Moslems.  And he gets paid tens of thousands for that short talk.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Anybody got a direct download link for this?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Jesus! The guy standin in front of the truck where the IED goes off, I dont see how he made it. It almost looks like he was thrown clear. Theres the guy closet to the camera truck crouching in the ditch, then the next guy to come running up comes from farther out in the ditch.

I dunno, crazy shit either way.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:29:15 PM EDT
[#19]
IIRC Back in WWII they used to tell troops that if they are anywhere near where close air support or carpet bombing is being done is to get on your hands and knees while keeping your mouth open to avoid mst of the cuncusions effect.  Am I correct, and would that actually do anything to lessen the felt effects?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#20]
More IED's can be found in this thread ---->Here
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Fucking stupid Google video.  Is there another link for the video that works?  I guess my Quicktime is fucked up or something.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
IIRC Back in WWII they used to tell troops that if they are anywhere near where close air support or carpet bombing is being done is to get on your hands and knees while keeping your mouth open to avoid mst of the cuncusions effect.  Am I correct, and would that actually do anything to lessen the felt effects?

Uh...I think they were talking about something else, buddy.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:33:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Fucking stupid Google video.  Is there another link for the video that works?  I guess my Quicktime is fucked up or something.

I don't think so but I'll check.  In the mean-time you could check out some of the other IED vids in the post with the link right above yours
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh...I think they were talking about something else, buddy.

Ok, didn't know for sure and didn't wan't to say that's what actually happened.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Oh no, M60, I was just making a joke. I don't know either.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Wow, seems like the dirt soften the blow at least from shrapnel.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:46:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Wow, seems like the dirt soften the blow at least from shrapnel.  

Possibly a shaped charge too, eh?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:53:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Thank God for the men we have in harm's way. They are truly are the best we, as Americans, have to offer.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:57:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Not a shaped charge, the IED was on the side of the road. When they use shape charges they place them in an embankment in order to hit the side of the hehicle straight on. Never seen one place in the road but it is possible, but it would be placed in the middle in order to hit the bottom of the vehicle.

Sometimes they bury the IED too deep and they don't do alot of damage thankfully. I think thats the case here because there are alot of dismounts on the ground and it appears noone was severely wounded.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#30]
No one else has said it, so I will.

Good job leaving your buddies and backing up.

That ain't the way my unit worked.  D Co, 2/16 Inf (1ID), 91 - 93.

Get your FUCKING REMF ASS out of the fucking vehicle and get your FUCKING buddies!

Man have things ever changed with the military.

Sorry guys.  I don't want to start a flame war, and I know for a FACT shit like that is scary as all hell and back, and panic is the first reaction.  But damn, man!  "We need to get the fuck out of here!"  ?????????  No, you need to get you fucking ass out of the vehicle and go tend to the wounded.  See that big black cylindrical oblect at your right knee?  It's called a fucking rifle, M-16A2, one each, Army issue.  Get it and go help your buddies!

Hey, camera man...  Thank God none of your buddies were bleeding out while you took a film to show off to your fat ass girlfriend as a fucking wanna be hero when you PCS stateside, eh?  Just take your pictures and if they bleed out, well, at least you got it on tape.  Fucking coward.  

OK, sorry for my rant guys, and I mean that apology sincerely.  Combat is scary shit, and I don't fault anyone for being scared.  But you work through the fear when your friends are dying.  The dude that just screamed like a girl and kept filming would have faced a shitstorm in my unit.  Heros?  At what expense?  The chance to brag at home while their injured buddies suffered while they tried to leave without them?

Man, just thank GOD no one was seriously hurt!  They'd have died while the others filmed.  Man oh man, I miss the Army and then I sure am glad I am out!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Google video uses macromedia flash, I think.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:26:09 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Google video users macromedia flash, I think.

If someone can tell me how, I can save it and host it.  I just don't know how.  But I'm sure I have enough free "space" or whatever is needed.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:31:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Not a shaped charge, the IED was on the side of the road. When they use shape charges they place them in an embankment in order to hit the side of the hehicle straight on. Never seen one place in the road but it is possible, but it would be placed in the middle in order to hit the bottom of the vehicle.

Sometimes they bury the IED too deep and they don't do alot of damage thankfully. I think thats the case here because there are alot of dismounts on the ground and it appears noone was severely wounded.

+1
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:32:32 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Get your FUCKING REMF ASS out of the fucking vehicle and get your FUCKING buddies!

Sorry guys.  I don't want to start a flame war, and I know for a FACT shit like that is scary as all hell and back, and panic is the first reaction.  But damn, man!  "We need to get the fuck out of here!"  ?????????  No, you need to get you fucking ass out of the vehicle and go tend to the wounded.  See that big black cylindrical oblect at your right knee?  It's called a fucking rifle, M-16A2, one each, Army issue.  Get it and go help your buddies!

Hey, camera man...  Thank God none of your buddies were bleeding out while you took a film to show off to your fat ass girlfriend as a fucking wanna be hero when you PCS stateside, eh?  Just take your pictures and if they bleed out, well, at least you got it on tape.  Fucking coward.  

OK, sorry for my rant guys, and I mean that apology sincerely.  Combat is scary shit, and I don't fault anyone for being scared.  But you work through the fear when your friends are dying.  The dude that just screamed like a girl and kept filming would have faced a shitstorm in my unit.  Heros?  At what expense?  The chance to brag at home while their injured buddies suffered while they tried to leave without them?

Man, just thank GOD no one was seriously hurt!  They'd have died while the others filmed.  Man oh man, I miss the Army and then I sure am glad I am out!

I was gonna ask about that but didn't want to get flamed.  Wouldn't the wise thing to have done been not only to get out and help your buddies but to also make a security perimeter and expand it to look for the trigger man?  I mean there don't look to be tall buildings in the area so one would thing the bomber would have to be relativly close to know when to detonate right?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:48:12 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was gonna ask about that but didn't want to get flamed.  Wouldn't the wise thing to have done been not only to get out and help your buddies but to also make a security perimeter and expand it to look for the trigger man?  I mean there don't look to be tall buildings in the area so one would thing the bomber would have to be relativly close to know when to detonate right?

Well, I'll take the flames for calling a bunch of cowards spade a bunch of cowards spade.  I did my time, I have my ribbon and rope, and I know the way we USED to train before all these pussies invaded a once proud branch.  Even if I had use of both of my legs, I'm not sure I could stomach anything in the military sans SOG these days.  It's John Kerry's version of the war all over again, and it makes a stain on the real heroes' legacy that are serving selflessly over there.  

Prudence demands exiting the vehicle from the opposite side of the blast and establishing covered positions of fire to protect a team to go get the wounded.  The trigger man, who is probably ficticious by now, is the last of the worries.

You cover your buddies who go get your other buddies, then you high tail it the fuck out of there to treat wounds.  No perimeters or anything like that.  Saving lives is what's important at that time, then you hunt the fucker down and cut his throat slowly AFTER the injured are on the way to the rear.  

In combat, your buddies are ALL you have!  You protect them, you live for them, you die for them.  But you never leave them.  Screw the trigger man, if there even was one.  Saving my buddy is more important than killing my enemy.

So, let the flames begin with the accusations and whatnot.  BTDT, and I don't need a bunch of Internet commandoes or NG to tell me what my job was.  If I get flamed I get flamed, and it'll roll off.  But those people in the video scare me.  If they are heroes, this country is way too far gone already.

Bring back the old Army where we took care of our own.  

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I'll take the flames for calling a bunch of cowards spade a bunch of cowards spade.  I did my time, I have my ribbon and rope, and I know the way we USED to train before all these pussies invaded a once proud branch.  Even if I had use of both of my legs, I'm not sure I could stomach anything in the military sans SOG these days.  It's John Kerry's version of the war all over again, and it makes a stain on the real heroes' legacy that are serving selflessly over there.  

Prudence demands exiting the vehicle from the opposite side of the blast and establishing covered positions of fire to protect a team to go get the wounded.  The trigger man, who is probably ficticious by now, is the last of the worries.

You cover your buddies who go get your other buddies, then you high tail it the fuck out of there to treat wounds.  No perimeters or anything like that.  Saving lives is what's important at that time, then you hunt the fucker down and cut his throat slowly AFTER the injured are on the way to the rear.  

In combat, your buddies are ALL you have!  You protect them, you live for them, you die for them.  But you never leave them.  Screw the trigger man, if there even was one.  Saving my buddy is more important than killing my enemy.

So, let the flames begin with the accusations and whatnot.  BTDT, and I don't need a bunch of Internet commandoes or NG to tell me what my job was.  If I get flamed I get flamed, and it'll roll off.  But those people in the video scare me.  If they are heroes, this country is way too far gone already.

Remind me what the battle drill is for react to near ambush? First, return fire and get out of the kill zone. I seem to remember the last course of action being consolidate and reorganize (ie treat casualties).

In the video, they had already been hit by one IED and had casualties. They just got hit with a second in the same area. They were sitting in the kill zone. Who knows how many more IEDs were daisy chained along that road? I know what my course of action would be at that point.

Had they reacted properly after the first IED went off (react to contact/ near or far ambush) they wouldnt have been sitting on the road, but instead trying to find, fix and fuck the enemy. I agree though that their adjustiment to the developing tactical situation was not command directed but out of fear, and thats when things fall apart.

There are alot of non infantry types out doing patrols. It appears to me that this unit did not have or didn't use their react to IED battle drill, an unforgivable leadership failure at the officer and NCO level. Who sits in the kill zone?

This unit fucked up, but I wouldn't continue to send soldiers into a kill zone while IEDs are going off on dismounts in order to CASEVAC the wounded until I had reacted properly by closing with the enemy. Why? Because the battle drill works. Doctrine works. It's why we are successful in combat. The war doesn't stop because you have casualties. Fight the fight, the wounded will do self aid if able, then get buddy aid, then combat life saver, then medic, and then off on the blackhawk to the surgical unit. The PSG and medic take care of the wounded, everyone else fights.

I don't blame you for being pissed, the video pisses me off too. And I am NG (11 years AD 5 years NG) and I know what my job is. I have my rope, my ribbon and my CIB.

By the way, thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm not even going to say what the SOP is for handling IED's. Not gonna break op-sec here guys. I hope no one else does either.

grammar
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#38]
That will Buff right out.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

REMOVED
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:03:56 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I'm not even going to say what the SOP is for handling IED's. Not gonna break op-sec here guys. I hope no one else does either.

grammar

Let's just say that wasn't quite right.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

grammar

I agree, op-sec shouldn't be broken, but Stryker_11A has hit the nail on the head.  

There are alot of non infantry types out doing patrols. It appears to me that this unit did not have or didn't use their react to IED battle drill, an unforgivable leadership failure at the officer and NCO level. Who sits in the kill zone?

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

grammar

Roger.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:20:46 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

grammar

Roger.  

Sadly enough GulDuCal these were 3rd ID guys.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Remind me what the battle drill is for react to near ambush? First, return fire and get out of the kill zone. I seem to remember the last course of action being consolidate and reorganize (ie treat casualties).

In the video, they had already been hit by one IED and had casualties. They just got hit with a second in the same area. They were sitting in the kill zone. Who knows how many more IEDs were daisy chained along that road? I know what my course of action would be at that point.

Had they reacted properly after the first IED went off (react to contact/ near or far ambush) they wouldnt have been sitting on the road, but instead trying to find, fix and fuck the enemy. I agree though that their adjustiment to the developing tactical situation was not command directed but out of fear, and thats when things fall apart.

This unit fucked up, but I wouldn't continue to send soldiers into a kill zone while IEDs are going off on dismounts in order to CASEVAC the wounded until I had reacted properly by closing with the enemy. Why? Because the battle drill works. Doctrine works. It's why we are successful in combat. The war doesn't stop because you have casualties. Fight the fight, the wounded will do self aid if able, then get buddy aid, then combat life saver, then medic, and then off on the blackhawk to the surgical unit. The PSG and medic take care of the wounded, everyone else fights.

I don't blame you for being pissed, the video pisses me off too. And I am NG (11 years AD 5 years NG) and I know what my job is. I have my rope, my ribbon and my CIB.

By the way, thank you for your service.

And thank you for your service!  It was not meant to be a slam against any NG or Reserves, and thank you for not taking it that way.

Ambush tactics are different, and you hit them right on the head:  face the fire, charge, get behind, flank, then consolidate after out of the kill zone.

Ambush tactics are NOT backing up and making the column bottlenecked, and that was no ambush - that much was evident the very first time I watched it.  I thought to myself, "Mine!  Out the truck!  Grab the wounded!  Cover fire!"  

If that was an ambush, I'm Don Waun (or however spell that lucky baastard's name).

That's why these damn REMF units need to train Inf, just like you and I did.  Their reaction was nothing but a lack of proper training, just like you said.  

But I've been out since '93, so what I remember is probably skewed at least, and false at its worst.  

But an IED is pretty distinguishable from an ambush, IMHO (which is worth what it cost you).  After 10 seconds and all that screaming, that column would have been decimated by any real ambush.  Instead, they faced one single explosive device and panicked.  Hell, my squad alone could have wiped them out no problem.

But opinions are like assholes:  we all have one, and they all stink time to time, and I like mine more than I'll ever like yours, LOL  

You stay safe out there bro.  Watch you ass, cover your buddy, and know Camy and I are praying for all of you every night.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

AMEN Brother, too many fools trying to glamorize war and be the hero. Where the hell was the NCOIC/Team leader, and why the hell wasn't he giving any direction to his men ? Had Haji wanted to follow up with the ambush with a few RPGs and small arms fire they would have had a hayday and we would never witnessed this video. Damn shame......
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

grammar

Roger.  

Sadly enough GulDuCal these were 3rd ID guys.

No fucking way bro  

In 89 and 90 I was with 2/15 in Schweinfurt.  That ain't the training I remember!  They must have been attached or 88m's in HHC or something.  

Back in 90 we were high speed.  

It is amazing just how bad fear can make a person react!  It only proves that no amount of training ever dictates exactly how it will play out when the human element is introduced.

God, watch over our troops in the name of your Son, Christ Jesus, and let them all come home to their friends and families!

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:35:19 PM EDT
[#47]
We always treated IEDs as ambushes, because of a few reasons, one of which being because they sometimes were. And what is rule #1 when we do ambushes? Initiate with....

Better to be safe than sorry and react properly and not need to than react improperly and get banged up.

There is nothing finer in this life than sitting with the men you fought with after the war drinking a beer together, thanking God you made it back and remembering the ones that didn't. Of course being in a HMMWV running down a triggerman after he just tried to blow you up comes in a close 3rd.

I am glad that all those guys made it. And I hope they learned from their experience. Of course experience is something you need right before you get it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:36:34 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
We always treated IEDs as ambushes, because of a few reasons, one of which being because they sometimes were. And what is rule #1 when we do ambushes? Initiate with....

Better to be safe than sorry and react properly and not need to than react improperly and get banged up.

There is nothing finer in this life than sitting with the men you fought with after the war drinking a beer together, thanking God you made it back and remembering the ones that didn't. Of course being in a HMMWV running down a triggerman after he just tried to blow you up comes in a close 3rd.

I am glad that all those guys made it. And I hope they learned from their experience. Of course experience is something you need right before you get it.

+1
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:38:41 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Amen, brother...  The part in red is all that matters.  Special prayers out tonight.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
This unit fucked up, ...

I don't blame you for being pissed, the video pisses me off too....

Roger.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top