Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2006 5:12:59 AM EDT
Anyone catch the segment on trying to explode a car's gas tank by shooting it with rifles? Or, the one where they shot different rifle calibers into a swimming pool to debunk the myth about getting shot while staying underwater.

If I remember right, every projectile broke up into many fragments upon hitting the water. Including the .50

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:23:27 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Anyone catch the segment on trying to explode a car's gas tank by shooting it with rifles? Or, the one where they shot different rifle calibers into a swimming pool to debunk the myth about getting shot while staying underwater.

If I remember right, every projectile broke up into many fragments upon hitting the water. Including the .50

I caught the segment on the .50 cal just a few minutes ago.

Did I understand them correctly? Did they say that the smaller calliber "penetrated" deeper than the .50?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:25:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:28:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
yeah, I saw that...the 50 round disintegrated upon hitting the water. I wonder what would have happened if the rifle round was fired straight down into the water at a 90 degree angle.

The Mythbusters would probably be paying for a new pool!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:31:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I caught the segment on the .50 cal just a few minutes ago.

Did I understood them correctly? Did they say that the smaller calliber "penetrated" deeper than the .50?

Copper and lead only have so much strength.  The faster the bullet travels the more stress it must endure, and the bigger it is the weaker it is compared to its size.  That's why an ant can walk around with those thin legs, but if we had legs of the same proportions our legs would break.

That's why the pistol bullet traveled so far in the water.  Less velocity, so less aerodynamic stress, and the bullet stayed together.  It also did not have to fight the water's inertia as much as a faster bullet, so the water did not slow it down as rapidly.

If the .50 bullet were fired straight down, it would desintegrate just as easily as it did at the angle.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:33:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:33:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
yeah, I saw that...the 50 round disintegrated upon hitting the water. I wonder what would have happened if the rifle round was fired straight down into the water at a 90 degree angle.

The Mythbusters would probably be paying for a new pool!

Hahaha! I was thinking the same thing! I was thinking ... who in their right mind would give them the permission to do that kind of experiment in THEIR pool!?!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:20:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I was half paying attention to an episode about prison crossbows or something and I could swear I heard someone say "semi-automatic bolt action".  I asked my wife what the guy said but she was paying less attention than I.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:42:59 AM EDT
[#8]

That's why the pistol bullet traveled so far in the water. Less velocity, so less aerohydrodynamic stress, and the bullet stayed together.

fixed

I bet they had to sign a damage waiver for that pool.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:43:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I only caught a little bit of the show where they were shooting into the pool, but I swear when he showed the fragments of the .50 bullet, it looked like it was only the jacket.

Quoted:
I was half paying attention to an episode about prison crossbows or something and I could swear I heard someone say "semi-automatic bolt action".  I asked my wife what the guy said but she was paying less attention than I.

I heard that too!  I think they were talking about a gun someone made in prison from plumbing materials.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:56:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That's why the pistol bullet traveled so far in the water. Less velocity, so less aerohydrodynamic stress, and the bullet stayed together.

fixed

Yeah, well, air is a type of liquid too, so if air is aero, water can be too.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:09:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

fixed

Air is a fluid, but I wouldn't call it a liquid!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:20:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Up next on Mythbusters: How to quench your thrist with a glass of air!

P.S. I think you meant air is a type of fluid.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:39:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Up next on Mythbusters: How to quench your thrist with a glass of air!

P.S. I think you meant air is a type of fluid.

Digging my own grave here.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

I'll go take a nap now. . .
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:49:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Up Next on Mythbusters: Does Kari spit or swallow???
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:58:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Up Next on Mythbusters: Does Kari spit or swallow???

I'd have to TIVO that one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top