Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2006 2:45:10 AM EDT
I'm located within the city limits and don't want to chance using my suppressed 22LR to dispatch a pesky 'possum that's taken up residence under my shed - nasty creature - even my best tom cat can't take him.

What's a good CO2/spring pistol that has enough power to kill one of these creatures.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:57:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless you get lucky and hit a vital area your just going to wound it, better to use a cross-bow and cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:59:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I suppose I could try a live-trap first ...

What is a source: DCNR/SPCA/.....?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:03:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Call animal control for a trap.

Bait with cat food.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:32:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Where ever he is dwelling, pour cayenne pepper around the entrance.  This will make him leave with out killing him.  But if you want to kill him.  
Kill him with  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:38:26 AM EDT
[#5]
None are sufficient.  Now some of the more powerful rifles are.

Best bet is the crossbow pistols with custom made broadhead bolts.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:42:36 AM EDT
[#6]
or you could use this:  Talon SS Gun
LINK
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:15:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm located within the city limits and don't want to chance using my suppressed 22LR to dispatch a pesky 'possum that's taken up residence under my shed - nasty creature - even my best tom cat can't take him.
What's a good CO2/spring pistol that has enough power to kill one of these creatures.

Thanks in advance.

Well, there's your problem.  You need a dog, not some stupid cat.  I'll send you my lab.  He killed a big one last night.  I was walking out to the garage in the dark and looked down to see a big possum lying there on the patio.  Scared the crap out of me.  Then I realized that he wasn't moving.  He was still alive, but barely.  I think his neck was broke.  Anyway, it had to have been the dawg, because there is no way he could have gotten over my fence in the shape he was in.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:17:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Even a 1000 fps .177 with pointed pellets won't put down a possum.  I have seen me NOT do it.  3 rounds of #8 12 gauge won't do it either.  

Use the proper tool, man!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:21:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Find a 22lr rifle with a 24" bbl  { old Remington 581, there are others ], get some CCI CB caps, zap him.  This set up will be at least as quiet as your nfa arm without the ramifications if you get in trouble.  You can actually hear the striker drop.  An air rifle powerful enough to take out a possum is actually quite loud.

Plan B.  If you have a 22" or longer 22 CAL centerfire get an MCA 22LR chamber adaptor and shoot the CB caps through your big gun.  

You will of course need to do a range session with the CB caps to get whatever gun you use sighted in.

www.mcace.com/adapters.htm

rj
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:25:45 AM EDT
[#10]
10/22, be a man.  If it doesn't work you've got your .38.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:28:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Two words:  Nuke...orbit
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:04:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Even a 1000 fps .177 with pointed pellets won't put down a possum.  I have seen me NOT do it.  3 rounds of #8 12 gauge won't do it either.  

I've found a 9mm +P 115gr Gold Dot HP from a Hi Power does the trick on possums.  It has not failed me yet.

Is there anyway you could use something to cover the .22 gunfire?  Maybe have your lawnmower running while you dispatched the possum?  I've had to do it before and no one is the wiser.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:23:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Umm. . . . possums are noctournal, are they not? A lawnmower at 3AM?
--------
I kinda agree, tell animal control it's tried to bite people and trap it and then dump it in their lap.
~
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:25:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

If you can't kill a possum with thrre rounds of 12 gauge #8 shot, you are too far away from it.
One shot should kill a possum dead.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:52:26 AM EDT
[#15]
From his post, he said it lives under his shed.  Crank the mower, stick the 10/22 barrel under the shed, fire a couple of .22 LR's into possum's head--during the day.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:59:31 AM EDT
[#16]
If you have a surpressed .22, use it, that is the best tool for this job.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:05:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Beeman R1 in .177 @ 910 FPS (Crono'd) is my weapon of choice for around the house for everything up to Racoon. Beeman Silver Jet pellet with a head shot works every time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top