Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/1/2006 7:26:12 PM EDT
I have two handguns that I carry on a regular basis. One is a Taurus PT-145 that I carry 75% of the time and a S&W 637 the other 25% of the time. (Go ahead and hate on me for the Taurus, it is a damn fine firearm) Storing them loaded has no negative result as far as the mechanics of the firearm. I usually come home and just put the handgun I am carrying in my lock box by the bed but the other is always loaded in the safe.

Maybe I'm just lazy, but isn't it better from a safety standpoint to NOT repeatedly load/unload, chamber/unchamber a firearm everyday ? I believe the less you handle one the better from a safety point of view and that includes chambering/unchambering rounds everyday. In these DA handguns isn't it better just to leave them loaded if you are the only one with access to them ?

I just want to see if my methods have a fault because I don't see one. A guy I work with(who I encouraged to get his CWL, he carries a Springfield XD .40) says he never carries a loaded firearm into his house, ever, says it is unsafe. Unloads/loads it in the car when he returns to/leaves his house. I was just trying to point out it makes more sense to leave it ready to go and store it in a secure place everyday, the less you mess with it the better and he has that option.

To each his own I guess, I just wanted to see some opinions on our debate.  

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Unloaded, in the safe. Usually a loaded magazine for a couple of them in the safe as well.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#2]
i keep my M9 loaded in the dresser drawer next to the bed.  the rest of my guns are stored unloaded
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#3]
All my guns are are loaded.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:35:59 PM EDT
[#4]
just the 3 guns I have available for "emergency purposes" are loaded.  The rest are in cases, with ammo in the same vicinity
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#5]
AR: Loaded mag, one in the chamber, weapon on safe, multiple loaded mags nearby
SIG 228 loaded mag, one in the chamber, hammer down, multiple loaded mags nearby.

All others, in the safe, empty, ammo/loaded mags nearby.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:39:21 PM EDT
[#6]
All of my guns are loaded.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Colt Defender 1911 sits on the table next to the bed with a full magazine but nothing in the chamber.

Everything else sits in the safe, though magazines for each weapon are loaded and stored elsewhere in the room.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:40:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1

HH
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Two loaded for home defense with the rest unloaded in the safe. I don't quite understand your friend loading and unloading in his automobile. I quess to each his own.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#10]
all pistols, save a few collectables, sit in the safe loaded with a round in the chamber. my daily carry pistol only gets unloaded at the range. 1 ar and an 870 are kept loaded. all other long guns are unloaded in the safe.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:58:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Keep a G-21 with trijicon on night stand, wife has a Taurus PT99 on nightstand. Loaded Bushy by bedside. A few guns in the safe are loaded but not all.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:58:12 PM EDT
[#12]
all my detachable mag rifles in my room have loaded mags in the, just no chambered rounds
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:59:10 PM EDT
[#13]
only my carry gun and a select few defense guns
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:00:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I only keep my CCW and HD carbine loaded. I don't see any reason to keep my hunting rifle or my .22 pistol loaded.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:00:28 PM EDT
[#15]
The nuke is armed, just need to push that red button. that'll teach'm
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:00:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I agree with you the more you fuck with it the more chance of a problem
from the holster to the lock box for me
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#17]
My ccw weapon stays loaded.  I just remove it and put it in the safe at the end of the day.  I think the less tinkering loading/unloading the better.

My other firearms are all unloaded.  I have several loaded mags for my Ar's but nothing in the rifles.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:09:00 PM EDT
[#18]
CCW stays cocked and locked.  Always.
AR has a loaded mag, but empty chamber with hammer down.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:11:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
My ccw weapon stays loaded.  I just remove it and put it in the safe at the end of the day.  I think the less tinkering loading/unloading the better.

My other firearms are all unloaded.  I have several loaded mags for my Ar's but nothing in the rifles.

That's the way I am, I have an AR and an AK mag loaded sitting on top of the safe, but the everyday carry firearm is always ready. We had some home invasion things happen not a mile from the house awhile back and I had my Rem 870 with a full tube by the bed for awhile, it made me sleep better anyway
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:19:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:22:48 PM EDT
[#21]
My safe has pistol holsters in the door for my most used/carried guns.
Those are all loaded, along with 1 shotgun and 1 AR.  Plenty of loaded mags/spare ammo nearby.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#22]
My Colt Mustang 380 and Beretta 92FS is store with a full mag, and emptychamber, with the safety on both guns set to "on."
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
A guy I work with(who I encouraged to get his CWL, he carries a Springfield XD .40) says he never carries a loaded firearm into his house, ever, says it is unsafe. Unloads/loads it in the car when he returns to/leaves his house. I was just trying to point out it makes more sense to leave it ready to go and store it in a secure place everyday, the less you mess with it the better and he has that option.

IMO what he is doing is unsafe

Does he have an actual REASON that taking a gun home is unsafe or is it just a "feeling"

Could it be that he has listened to the anti-gun propaganda that says.......
"you or one of your family members is most likely to be shot with your gun in your home"?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

This is as far as I have gotten on this thread.

ALL firearms are loaded.

PERIOD!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A guy I work with(who I encouraged to get his CWL, he carries a Springfield XD .40) says he never carries a loaded firearm into his house, ever, says it is unsafe. Unloads/loads it in the car when he returns to/leaves his house. I was just trying to point out it makes more sense to leave it ready to go and store it in a secure place everyday, the less you mess with it the better and he has that option.

Does he have an actual REASON that taking a gun home is unsafe or is it just a "feeling"

"you or one of your family members is most likely to be shot with your gun in your home"?

Lanceman, your co-worker is an idiot!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:04:52 PM EDT
[#26]
I keep my 2 pistols and the AR loaded.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

His wife is from the Philippines and is kind of an anti from what I understand. That may have something to do with it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:14:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

His wife is from the Philippines and is kind of an anti from what I understand. That may have something to do with it.

That is one of their best lines
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:44:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is.
I'll put 5 bucks on an ND before the end of the year.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:00:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

+1.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea, though.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:04:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Every gun is loaded except for the bolt 22's and a gun I don't have ammo for.

However, they are all treated as loaded.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:06:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Taurus is loaded, AR has mag with bolt locked back.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:07:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Well full, tube dry except for carry and car piece.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:12:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Every last one of them, but I'm single, no kids.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:15:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Only the one by the bed.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:40:56 PM EDT
[#36]
They all have a loaded mag in them.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:26:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

<snip>

An anti from the Philippines? I don't buy it, those are some of the gun nuttiest people I've ever met (an' I's frum Texas!).

As for me, I only keep my CCW and HD weapons loaded - of course when being handled they're all "loaded".

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:29:00 PM EDT
[#38]
If they are not loaded, they are just a club

All of my firearms are loaded at all times
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:35:53 PM EDT
[#39]
For some reason I've never felt I was at a tactical disadvantage because I didn't have a round sitting in the chamber of my single-shot .22
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:18:46 AM EDT
[#40]
One loaded carry weapon, one loaded home shotgun. Everything else is unloaded and disabled.  (bolts pulled from the rifles, trigger groups from the shotguns, slides removed from the pistols, Revolvers in a padlocked rack in the safe).  Ammo stored in a safe separate from the guns.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:23:01 AM EDT
[#41]
1 handgun loaded in drawer by the bed.  The rest unloaded and locked up.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:36:45 AM EDT
[#42]
No. None loaded.  Mags loaded & ready but I keep my firearms empty when secured in the safe.  There are four of us in the household who have access to the safe.  I am not willing to risk a discharge that is not completely intended.

Flame away.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:22:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Never, but I maintain 2 stacked magazines in the immediate vicinity.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:40:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Usually keep my walther hot on my hip during the day and, upload
the AR hot at night.  

I unload whatever long arm I use at night during the day.

As far as having an ND becasue of loading/unloading too much......

That's got to be one of the most assinine things I've heard in quite some time.

If you can't load or unload your weapon safely without NDing......Well,
just send me all your guns.  You probably are going to hurt yourself of somone else
soon.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:48:04 AM EDT
[#45]
I see no need to unload a carry piece when entering the house. Also, I think that ready weapons need to be loaded or they are no better than the aforementioned expensive club.

"All guns are always loaded" doesn't mean that you should always keep ALL guns loaded. It means your attitude should be such that you always assume that they are, and treat them so. It's a mindset.

The guns in my safe are NOT loaded, and neither are the ones in the Armory downtown.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:57:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Just my 870-Police loaded with 3" 00-buck in the closet ready to rack - none in the chamber.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:00:05 AM EDT
[#47]
There are two that are always loaded - The 870 and my CCW.
The rest are secured (from theft).
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:20:59 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Maybe I'm just lazy, but isn't it better from a safety standpoint to NOT repeatedly load/unload, chamber/unchamber a firearm everyday ? I believe the less you handle one the better from a safety point of view and that includes chambering/unchambering rounds everyday. In these DA handguns isn't it better just to leave them loaded if you are the only one with access to them ?

EXACTLY right. Administrative gun handling causes more ND's than any other thing. Minimize it as much as you can.

You can improve your safety even more by keeping the weapon in the holster all the time. With paddle, IWB and pocket hosters this is an easy do. Admittedly with a belt holster it may not be worth it. But a holstered weapon is a safe weapon. I have two carry guns, a G23 and a G27, each in their own Blade-Tech IWB hoster. The guns go in and out of the lockbox or safe ready to fight and still in the holster. Same for Mrs. aa's P3AT in a Kydex pocket holster.

None of that chamber-check nonsense, either. This ain't Hollywood--clean it, load it, chamber it, top it up (which is your "chamber check" right there--the round missing from your mag didn't disappear into hyperspace!), holster it, done until you clean it or shoot it.

Once in a while I do need to change holsters. Since these are "special" occasions it is easy to be extra vigilant during this bit of administrative gun handling.

Meanwhile, all my defensive long arms are stored in the safe in "cruiser ready" condition: mag locked in, bolt closed, chamber empty, safety off.

This is also the major reason hot ranges are safer than cold ranges.

aa
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:26:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Carry weapon is always loaded, comes off the hip, goes in bedside safe when I am asleep.
Secondary pistol is in bedside safe, loaded mag in weapon, not in chamber.
third pistol is in the other safe, not loaded, but has a loaded mag with it.
None of the rifles are loaded.
Shotgun MAY be, or just have shells with it.

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:32:22 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

EXACTLY right. Administrative gun handling causes more ND's than any other thing. Minimize it as much as you can.

You can improve your safety even more by keeping the weapon in the holster all the time. With paddle, IWB and pocket hosters this is an easy do. Admittedly with a belt holster it may not be worth it. But a holstered weapon is a safe weapon. I have two carry guns, a G23 and a G27, each in their own Blade-Tech IWB hoster. The guns go in and out of the lockbox or safe ready to fight and still in the holster. Same for Mrs. aa's P3AT in a Kydex pocket holster.

None of that chamber-check nonsense, either. This ain't Hollywood--clean it, load it, chamber it, top it up (which is your "chamber check" right there--the round missing from your mag didn't disappear into hyperspace!), holster it, done until you clean it or shoot it.

Once in a while I do need to change holsters. Since these are "special" occasions it is easy to be extra vigilant during this bit of administrative gun handling.

Meanwhile, all my defensive long arms are stored in the safe in "cruiser ready" condition: mag locked in, bolt closed, chamber empty, safety off.

This is also the major reason hot ranges are safer than cold ranges.

aa

By "chamber check" I assume you mean "press check"?

You mean to tell me that makeing sure you are in battery is Hollywood?
I guess Max Joseph, Steve Moses, and, Clint Smith are just Hollywood cowboys then.
There MIGHT be a reason that every professional training school I've been to
uses the press check as a step in the loading process.

I've said it once, and, I'll say it again;  If you are unable to safely handle your firearm when
it's hot, you probably should re-think your decision to own a weapon.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top