Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2006 5:38:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:49:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Ma'am, I'm very sorry about your loss.  I have SA bigtime.  I use a CPAP set up and it works well for me.  I will say a prayer for your speedy recovery.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:49:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#3]
no idea what the procedure entails, nor can I even pronounce it.

I wish you the best and a speedy recovery.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I had it along with a tonsilectomy AND I had the rear of my palette trimmed off AND both nostrils bored out.

ALL AT THE SAME TIME!

Try this.

Take a shot of 93 octane gas followed by a lit match.

Close mouth so flames shoot out nose.

Multiply pain X 10.

Thats what it feels like!

Yep. Pretty Accurate.

You may very well end up on CPAP anyway.

Just a warning that alot of docs won't tell you.

SG

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I had it along with a tonsilectomy AND I had the rear of my palette trimmed off AND both nostrils bored out.

ALL AT THE SAME TIME!

Try this.

Take a shot of 93 octane gas followed by a lit match.

Close mouth so flames shoot out nose.

Multiply pain X 10.

Thats what it feels like!

Yep. Pretty Accurate.

You may very well end up on CPAP anyway.

Just a warning that alot of docs won't tell you.

SG

Read that again before you go to the hospital.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:00:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:02:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm sure you're happy as all getout that you posted this here....
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:05:25 PM EDT
[#10]
My boss had it and said that it worked great for him.  I've heard that it's only 50% effective though.  Not good enough odds for me to get cut on . . . .
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I had my septum un-deviated, my turbinates reshaped, and pencil eraser-size polyps cut out of my frontal sinuses all in one whack.  The recovery really wasn't too bad, but I was down a little longer than expected due to bleeding.  The pain wasn't excessive.  The key there was to find a doctor that doesn't use post-op packing in the sinuses.

The doc could have committed uvulopalatopharyngoplastyfication on me the conventional way at the same time, but he told me that after I healed from the other stuff, he could actually laser my tonsils out, then shrink the back of my tongue and throat relatively pain-free with RF ablation.  He said it could be done in an office procedure!  Unfortunately, I moved before I had a chance to get it done by him.

You might want to research RF ablation before going under the knife.  Maybe take a look at this site, which discusses it.

Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty

The UPPP is a surgical procedure in which the soft palate and uvula are removed. The procedure usually eliminates snoring but only has a 40%  chance of lowering the apnea hypopnea index to acceptable levels. There is no way to predict surgical success.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#13]
get in touch with a pain management dr that's not afraid to medicate.  Ride it out then ease off the meds.

I have had a couple bad ones and it works fine like this if you aren't apt to get hooked on Class III meds.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:55:47 PM EDT
[#14]
i read the title and thought you were trading your weewee for a hoohoo

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#15]
You will get to like jello!! [bounc
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The reverse of which is, as you know, called an addadicktome.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Sure it's worth it?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I had the pleasure of this experience this time last year. Yes, it is painful, it took a full two weeks before I could eat more than cup of tuna or chicken salad a day, and drink a glass of water(don't plan on going back to work before then). Now for the good news. I lost 25 lbs, have a lot more energy during the day, sleep great, can breath, and would do it again.

Do yourself a favor, don't be a hero, take the pain meds when you are supposed to, even if you feel better.

Feel free to IM me if you've got any questions about the experience.

Good luck, prayer sent.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:18:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I had it it done at the same time I had my deviated septum fixed. When the pre-op nurse asked me why I was there, I told her I was paying some guy to break my nose and cut my throat.

The deviated septum was worse at the time of surgery, but that was probably because the painkiller wore off in the middle of them rebreaking the septum. I was straining against the restraints so hard, only my head and heels were touching the table. The rest of my body was arched off the table. I'll never forget the crunching sound of my nose. They stitched the splints in place before the additional painkiller took effect.

The actual throat surgery was nothing, just smelled\tasted odd as they lasered the flesh off. The liquid diet wasn't too bad, I drank a lot of Ensure. The first meal of noodles in alfredo sauce was the best meal I've ever eaten.

It took awhile to get used to cold drinks, especially cabonated drinks. The back of my throat wouldn't seal while drinking and the liquid would go up into my sinus cavity. I had trouble singing for over a year,  one or two lines and my throat would be sore for a day or so. The procedure reduced my snoring for only about 6 months.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:27:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Why not just try sleeping on your stomach?

This shit sounds very painful.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:34:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Why not just try sleeping on your stomach?

This shit sounds very painful.

I snore while on my stomach. I don't have sleep apnea, but I cause it in anyone near me.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:05:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:59:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Last week I was hospitalized for Acute Cholecystitis.  They took my gall bladder out and replaced it with a drain tube. (THAT was a new experience.) Lots of morphine and antibiotics later,  I was allowed to go home yesterday.

Compared to this nightmare it appears I got off lucky.  I'm down to a couple of Vicodin a day.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:09:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:35:57 AM EDT
[#25]
tagged
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:42:57 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Last week I was hospitalized for Acute Cholecystitis.  They took my gall bladder out and replaced it with a drain tube. (THAT was a new experience.) Lots of morphine and antibiotics later,  I was allowed to go home yesterday.

Compared to this nightmare it appears I got off lucky.  I'm down to a couple of Vicodin a day.

I wish you the best, and hope you can go back to work soon.

5 weeks recovery per the doc if I work it right.  The Redfish are biting.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:43:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:06:45 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I only have very minor apnea and only when I'm on my back, which I don't ever do.
Howver I snore so loud I wake myself up and my wife can't sleep.
UPPP is very effective at curing snoring.

My husband went in for the UPPP and deviated septum surgery. That went find but two days later he’s dead from the hospital care or lack of. (That one is nice)

????

Are you a male or female?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:23:52 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I'm going to get two weeks.  Civilization 4 is waiting for me.

I have over 900 hours of sick time, going to put it to use.  Someone else can play supervisor, it's good training.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:32:17 AM EDT
[#30]
I had that surgury in January.
Most painful thing I've ever been thru.
I spent one week off of work, and I really should have spent two.
I lost 25 lbs in that first week from not being able to eat anything but ice, jello & soup.

It was worth it though.
I sleep much better, I'm not as tired as I used to be and my wife says the snoring is gone.
I don't stop breathing like I used to do.

Now, if I could get my insurance to pay for it, I'd be set.
They pre-approved me for the surgury and now they won't pay a dime.
They say it was "cosmetic surgury that is not covered under my policy".
I think the doctor put the wrong code in when he submitted it.
So, now I'm trying to get the Dr. and the insurance company on the same page.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:10:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:11:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:12:15 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
...Now, if I could get my insurance to pay for it, I'd be set.
They pre-approved me for the surgury and now they won't pay a dime.
They say it was "cosmetic surgury that is not covered under my policy".
I think the doctor put the wrong code in when he submitted it.
So, now I'm trying to get the Dr. and the insurance company on the same page.

Insurance companies suck.  While they will "pre-approve" things, this means nothing since the letter of "pre-approval" clearly states that they refuse the right to pay after the fact.  Healthspring, for example, in TN wont pay for a UPPP even if you have severe sleep apnea unless you have "tried" CPAP for 6 months.!

Did you have a sleep study before surgery that showed you have sleep apnea?  If so, make sure the insurance company knows it.  If not, 99% of insurance companies consider UPPP cosmetic surgery for snoring and don't pay.

Don't automatically blame your doc for YOUR lousy insurance.  Did they tell you they sent the wrong code?

UPPP is a great surgery FOR CERTAIN PATIENTS.  If you weigh 280# and are 5'8", don't expect a miracle.  Even then, some patients' apnea severity is reduced so that CPAP pressures are reduced and CPAP is more tolerable.  

If you want a 99% cure, have them cut and hole in your neck for a permanent tracheotomy tube.

BTW, Speedy recovery to sherrick13.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:48:26 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Did you have a sleep study before surgery that showed you have sleep apnea?  If so, make sure the insurance company knows it.  If not, 99% of insurance companies consider UPPP cosmetic surgery for snoring and don't pay.

Don't automatically blame your doc for YOUR lousy insurance.  Did they tell you they sent the wrong code?

UPPP is a great surgery FOR CERTAIN PATIENTS.  If you weigh 280# and are 5'8", don't expect a miracle.  Even then, some patients' apnea severity is reduced so that CPAP pressures are reduced and CPAP is more tolerable.  

If you want a 99% cure, have them cut and hole in your neck for a permanent tracheotomy tube.

Yep, I had two studies and the insurance company covered those 100%.
The second one was to try the CPAP machine.
I tried 6 different mask configurations that nite.
The tech finally set the pressure to 20 to get me to "sleep" for an hour.
Dr. got the results back and scheduled surgury.
My problem was snoring and I would stop breathing for like a minute or so.
He told me I could die from this, I would stop breathing and not start back up again.

The insurance company said that they thought it was the wrong number.
The Dr. office is suppose to "re-issue" the paperwork to show that it was necessary.
I don't know, I just know that right now I have a huge bill hanging over my head for something that the Dr. told me could kill me and the insurance company won't take care of because they think this was something like having a breast augmentation or plastic surgury.
Grrrrrrrrr.
I'm 6'4" and weigh 250 lbs and this surgury really helped me out.
I wouldn't want to go thru it again though.
I can "chug-a-lug" now like it is nobody's business.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:56:04 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

+1

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:29:32 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, I had two studies and the insurance company covered those 100%.
The second one was to try the CPAP machine.
I tried 6 different mask configurations that nite.
The tech finally set the pressure to 20 to get me to "sleep" for an hour.
Dr. got the results back and scheduled surgury.
My problem was snoring and I would stop breathing for like a minute or so.
He told me I could die from this, I would stop breathing and not start back up again.

The insurance company said that they thought it was the wrong number.
The Dr. office is suppose to "re-issue" the paperwork to show that it was necessary.
I don't know, I just know that right now I have a huge bill hanging over my head for something that the Dr. told me could kill me and the insurance company won't take care of because they think this was something like having a breast augmentation or plastic surgury.
Grrrrrrrrr.
I'm 6'4" and weigh 250 lbs and this surgury really helped me out.
I wouldn't want to go thru it again though.
I can "chug-a-lug" now like it is nobody's business.

Even if the ins. co. drops the ball you can sue them or try and negotiate a lower price with the providers.  Even after all that you can agree to pay.....$5 a week, or $5 a month.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top