Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2006 5:04:23 PM EDT
What happens, if a person shoots somebody, say with a Glock 21.  The Glock is then sold to a pawn shop under a fake ID or through a FTF sale.  You buy the gun, and a few months down the road, due to a home invasion, your new Glock barrel gets patterned...  You are now tied to a murder weapon.  

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#1]
i think that if you can prove you bought it on good faith that it was legit, you'd be ok.  That means the SN would be intact, you filed proper paperwork when you bought it, ect.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#2]
What about FTF sales, where you hand the guy the money, and he gives you a bill of sale?   This is legal.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:07:58 PM EDT
[#3]
like I said, if you can establish that you bought it on good faith and did your "due dilligence" than you should be ok.

i'm not a LEO or lawyer, so I dont know for sure. I am basing my argument on common sense alone
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:08:42 PM EDT
[#4]
You are probably right, but this is an interesting thing I haven't thought of before.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What happens, if a person shoots somebody, say with a Glock 21.  The Glock is then sold to a pawn shop under a fake ID or through a FTF sale.  You buy the gun, and a few months down the road, due to a home invasion, your new Glock barrel gets patterned...  You are now tied to a murder weapon.  

This is why I don't do private sales of a gun... I always trade it in for a firearm I want (at the moment) with a respectable dealer, and keep all paperwork from the transaction in the safe in case some dirt-bag caps someone with a firearm I once owned.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#6]
and show me the technology that will ID your gun as the murder weapon...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:13:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
like I said, if you can establish that you bought it on good faith and did your "due dilligence" than you should be ok.

i'm not a LEO or lawyer, so I dont know for sure. I am basing my argument on common sense alone

Depends on the State.  In FL, yes; somplace else, maybe not.  ALWAYS CHECK LOCAL LAWS.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If they recover bullets, and the bullets aren't damaged significantly.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Glock 21 isn't a good example due to the poygonal rifling, but........... they'd still have to tie you to the murder with some other sort of evidence.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#10]
the other lesson to learn: always have an alibi!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:07:10 AM EDT
[#11]
That is why you only use " Papered" guns for self defense.

Face it it is one of the risks you take to have guns off the books .
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:10:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If they recover bullets, and the bullets aren't damaged significantly.  

Not a good enough answer for me. I dont see anyone tracing bullets I bought at wal-mart to me gun.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:19:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:25:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Every time I get a used handgun, I replace the firing pin and barrel, Just In Case.

Say wha?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:29:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Every time I get a used handgun, I replace the firing pin and barrel, Just In Case.

Wouldn't you be better off to just buy a new one?   By the time you spend the money to replace the firing pin and barrel you would have close to the same amount of money invested.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:38:53 AM EDT
[#16]
IIRC Regular use will slowly change the marks left on the bullet when fired. With the same gun and bullet number 1 fired out of it and bullet numbet 10,000 fired out of it will leave different marks, enough that they couldn't prove beyond resonable doubt that they were fired from the same gun, as always YMMV
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:03:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
IIRC Regular use will slowly change the marks left on the bullet when fired. With the same gun and bullet number 1 fired out of it and bullet numbet 10,000 fired out of it will leave different marks, enough that they couldn't prove beyond resonable doubt that they were fired from the same gun, as always YMMV

Quoted:
.... they'd still have to tie you to the murder with some other sort of evidence.

+1 on both.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:16:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:18:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wouldn't you be better off to just buy a new one?   By the time you spend the money to replace the firing pin and barrel you would have close to the same amount of money invested.

Uhh, it was cynic sarcasm.

I need to adjust my sarcasm detector then.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:20:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Don't watch CSI.  It will damage your brain.  Real world,  you have nothing to worry about.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top