Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2006 3:37:24 PM EDT
How do you edit what processes run on start up? I need to trim mine down. thanks
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:39:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Look at the start up file and remove whatever you don't want there.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:39:59 PM EDT
[#2]
goto 'start' then 'run' type in 'msconfig' and goto the startup tab, make sure you know what you are turning off If you are not sure then google the name and see what you can find. Also if you goto pcpitstop.com and run a full test and click on the 'windows' in the final results it will give a readout of the programs running color coded to what is needed and what is optional.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:40:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Which Windows version?

I'm running Win 98 and use MSCONFIG.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:43:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Which Windows version?

+1 - that works on all but win 2000, i believe.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Which Windows version?

+1 - that works on all but win 2000, i believe.

true. have a win2k computer for work, and it irks me to no end that they don't have msconfig on there...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:56:02 PM EDT
[#6]
alright, thanks guys!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:51:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
true. have a win2k computer for work, and it irks me to no end that they don't have msconfig on there...

That's easy to fix - just copy "msconfig.exe" from an XP box (it's in C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries) and copy it to your Win2k system.  Just make sure the file is in your path, like C:\WINNT\.  I've done it many times and it works great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top